New to Veg - splitting headaches - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-04-2007, 01:49 PM

Trying to go Vegan here and I am having a rough time doing it. I'm having massive headaches ever since I stopped eating meat, and animal products.

I am eating well, a days diet usually consists of brown rice, misc veggies, salads with organic dressing, organic cereal bars fruit, etc. I'm going to try veggie burgers tonight.

Are the headaches probably normal? How did you guys deal with this when you went veggie? Any help would be awesome.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Banned

Ariakitty HI

Well thats a roughy about those headaches , could be a reaction to the dishing of the meat products . Like some one who gives up smoking or coffee and having a reaction . Did you eat consume dairy before you went vegan ?.

If its diet related . It might help to temporary eat some dairy to see if the reaction is the same and if the headaches settle down and then just slowly wean your self of dairy products

Personally , I didn't have any reactions like you have describes , but there seem to be few on the board that have and might reply

#3 Old 06-04-2007, 03:08 PM

Personally, I had debilitating headaches once I stopped eating animal products (land, sea, or air borne creatures) and as bluesand had pointed out, its likely your body's way of dealing with its absence (like coffee, smoking, etc). Some people try to go (please excuse the pun) "cold turkey" when turning to a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle and thier bodies can't handle it. Some can, some cannot. I would slowly wean yourself off of these items and allow your body more time to adjust to its new dietary requirements. I would also, however, see your doctor about it as well. Just to be on the safe side.

- Borealys

#4 Old 06-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Not eating enough would give you headaches. Can you give a better idea of what you're eating, as in frequency and quantity?

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#5 Old 06-04-2007, 06:29 PM

I get horrible headaches when I haven't gotten enough calories during the day, no matter what it is I'm eating. I haven't had them since going Vegan, but that was only a few days ago! :-D I got them when I stopped drinking soda...strangely..I guess because of the caffeine content! Anyway, either stick it out for a bit and see your doctor, or like a previous poster said, sample some yogurt or something and see if it subsides. Are the headaches completely constant? Maybe you're just not getting enough calories, or maybe it's your body's reaction to less SUGAR. I'd see my docta Good luck!
#6 Old 06-04-2007, 07:30 PM

maybe you're not drinking enough water?
#7 Old 06-04-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriaKitty View Post

Trying to go Vegan here and I am having a rough time doing it. I'm having massive headaches ever since I stopped eating meat, and animal products.

It's unlikely that there is a *direct* connection between your vegan diet and headaches. After all, if we were to examine the post-digestion macro- and micro-nutrient profiles of what you consume while carnie vs. veggie (assuming an equal number of calories), you'd find less difference than you might think.

That said, you may of mucked things up accidentally in an *indirect* manner. For example, many folks consume far fewer calories when shifting from carnie to veggie due to the lower caloric density of a whole-foods, plant-based diet. However, they aren't aware of this because they still feel full after each meal.

There are numerous other possibilities - too many to list. Anyway, treat your body like a scientific experiment, and keep exploring. Hopefully you'll stumble across something that works for you.

Good luck!

#8 Old 06-04-2007, 09:11 PM

Is there some new food that you started eating when you went veg, or some food you started eating more of?

When I eat certain processed soy in large quantities, I get headaches. I don't know if it's the soy,or the salt or something else that is in it.
#9 Old 06-25-2015, 05:04 PM
Human

Send a message via AIM to Veganish
Unhappy I have headaches too

I am having the same problem. I have been eating a Vegan diet for 3 months now and have just now started getting headaches. The headaches last all day and feel like something is loose inside my head when I shake it, and also a constant pressure around the top of my head. I am in school to be a Nutritionist and on my 2nd year. We learned in school that certain nutrient deficiencies can cause headaches. Iknow that I eat enough calories and I also make sure to keep myself hydrated since I work a very active job in a very hot kitchen. So, I am now exploring the possibility that I might be deficient in some nurtients. The main culprits that cause headaches are a lack of Vitamin B12 and sometimes other B Vitamins and also Vitamin D and Calcium. I have started taking B Complex and Vitamin D plus Calcium. Almost immediately after taking the liquid form of B12 I felt better. Hopefully this will help!
#10 Old 07-29-2015, 08:38 PM
MEA

Hey,

The headaches could be caused by a lack of iron (I had that when i first became a vegetarian). make sure that you eat many foods that contain iron, since you're not getting that from meat now. These are some foods that contain iron:

-Beans (for canned make sure they are vegetarian) (black, pinto, lima, soy, black-eyed...)
-Dark leafy things (spinach, kale, arugula…)
-Dried fruits (raisins, apricots, peaches...)
-Tofu (yuk!)
-Lentils
-Nuts and seeds (cashews, peanuts, pistachio, pumpkin, sunflower, and go on and on)
-Vegetables (brussel sprouts, potatoes, broccoli, and more)
-Cereal and oatmeals

This is not the whole list but you guys get the picture right?

Hope this helps.
(I have a blog with info & recipes if you're interested http://meababes.weebly.com/)
#11 Old 08-21-2015, 12:31 PM

Hi everyone,

I am also a new vegan (about a month, maybe longer) and I am also suffering from chronic headaches and I am thinking it is a nutrient deficiency. I started taking B12 (nutritional yeast is a great source [which you can make cheese out of! ] and supplements for when I am not regularly eating nutritional yeast), however the headaches are not going away. After doing more research I found that I (we) may be deficient in Omega-3 fatty acids because this can also cause headaches. Omega-3 is primarily found in eggs and fish so we need other ways of getting this into our diets. Here is a website with lots of great information on how vegans and vegetarians can obtain Omega-3: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/omega3

In summary Omega-3 is composed of three things: ALA, EPA, and DHE. ALA is found in lots of foods and is easily converted to EPA but it takes a lot of ALA to make a little bit of DHE. Therefore, we can get more Omega-3 by doing all three of the following:
1. Take DHA supplements
2. Minimize intake of Omega-6 oils
3. Increase intake of foods containing ALA (flaxseed and walnuts have good amounts of ALA)

The article also talks about how a long term DHE deficiency can cause cognitive disabilities and that in some cases, older vegans have been found to have almost no DHA in the blood. Thats scary! We better make sure we are getting our DHE!

I hope this helps!!
#12 Old 10-23-2015, 09:02 PM

Maybe is the detox process, you body is waiting meat, and react negatively to the new diet. It's really interesting, because when I was omnivore I suffer migraines and when I decided to start with vegetarianism, my headaches disappeared.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page