College Vegetarian - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Beginner

Im pretty new to the veggie world, just starting over my winter break which was easy because i was at home. But now that I am back at college its a whole different thing. Im not loaded with money, as to I am a student, so I usually have to resort eating at the schools dining halls. They don't offer much more than fruits and salads, which can get old after eating them so often. I was just wondering if I could get any advice on this issue as to what to do to mix up my diet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-08-2007, 09:21 AM
Beginner

What does the dining hall offer? Any pastas? Veggie sandwiches? Pizza? Ask them to stock veggie burgers, or tofu on a salad bar. See if they will create a "vegetarian dish of the day". Ask them to stock healthy, hearty cereals and soymilk. IF you are paying for a student meal plan, they should cover your dietary requirements.
#3 Old 02-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Beginner

Are you vegan? Your college is way behind the times if they only vegetarian option is fruit and salad. Mine is pretty bad, but they always have cheese pizza, grilled cheese, and noodles with marinara sauce.

There should be some sort of comment card for you to give the cafeteria complaints and suggestions. I would suggest asking for more veg options. If they don't have one, take it to student services or the equivalent at your school.

As for variety, lack of it is something you're going to have to get used to. Mix things up the best you can. If they have a deli section, make yourself a meatless sandwich and maybe add some veggies from the salad bar. You could even put salad bar dressing on it. When they serve mashed potatoes, take the veggies from the side dishes (or salad bar, if there is anything there that would work) and mix them all together. Even though you're eating the same thing as always, it creates the illusion of something different. If there is peanut butter for breakfast toast, try it on apples and celery.

Then do the best you can with the money you have and load up on cheap foods for in your dorm room. I have a lot of canned soups and vegetarian ramen noodles (Top Ramen Oriental), plus applesauce and other canned fruits.
#4 Old 02-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Beginner

buying soy dogs at the market are cheap too, and Im sure you could slip a few slices of bread out of the dining hall. They are a favorite. But the others are right; your school should offer more than just salad and fruit. It is the schools responsability to meet your dietary needs, so I would talk to either someone in the dining hall or go to your office of housing and residence (or something along those lines). Good luck!
#5 Old 02-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Beginner

Wow, I'm quite surprised that your school offers so little in the way of vegetarian food. I agree with the others that you should request more options. It would be beneficial to the omni students as well if they offered some healthier, meat-free options.

Is your school really small? Many colleges have vegetarian groups/clubs. If yours doesn't have one, perhaps you could try to start one. You'd have more lobbying power to effect change in the dining hall if you had others supporting you. And even if that didn't work you could pool your resources for potluck dinners and stuff.
#6 Old 02-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Beginner

Oriental Ramen noodles...

Some brands are okay, others have beef stock (or other) in the flavoring. You have to read the ingredients, but they are only 10 cents each here...

Congrats on going veggie!
#7 Old 02-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Beginner

Here are some ideas.. I've had to learn to get creative with dining hall food haha. I don't know if you have these things necessarily, but if you don't you could always ask for them to start providing it.

-rice (if they have it) and then get some beans from the salad bar, mix it up and add salt and pepper (or bbq sauce, although it looks ugly :P)

- steamed corn mixed with beans, then add some salsa or pico de gallo.. good hot or cold

- PB&J, always a good thing

- cut up an apple or banana and eat it with peanut butter

- fruit with granola or crumbled cereal microwaved

- pasta with marinara, or just plain pasta tossed with some steamed veggies (if you can get them as sides from other lines)

- baked potatoes or sweet potatoes.. good with salsa, steamed broccoli, or beans on top

You should also ask if they could supply a vegetarian soup every once and a while!
#8 Old 02-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Beginner

Is there a school newspaper or radio station? Ask if you can put an ad in asking for other vegetarians on campus to contact you and give you ideas. It's also a great way to make veg friends.

If you can't get the cafeteria to offer more vegetarian options, and the only veg foods there are fruit and salad, take it up with the dean of students. It's possiblealthough not likelythey will give you back part or all of the money you paid for the cafeteria meal pass. If they understand your situation, and you have tried every avenue of coming up with creative ways to endure, they're more likely to be accomodating. Then you can use that money toward buying your own food and preparing it in the dorm. Ask them how they would respond to a student who is a vegetarian because of Hindu religious reasons.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#9 Old 02-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Beginner

Nuts and seeds are good to have on hand when you're out and about, in between classes, studying, etc... they are quick/easy since no prep is necessary!
#10 Old 02-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Beginner

and fruits and veggies!

prep for a banana is as simple as 1)PEEL 2)EAT!
#11 Old 02-09-2007, 05:50 AM
Beginner

I know just where you are coming from. My canteen serves more than yours by the sound of it, but I'm scared of most of it!!!!

Do they do a sandwich bar, or baked potatos or anything? That is what mine does (at least, the parts that I eat) - you could bring in a jar of vegemite or peanut butter or hummus etc to go with the salads, breads and potatos, if you want!
#12 Old 02-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Beginner

Big advice? Be creative! I've made veggie subs from the bread bar and salad bar. I've made egg salad with the hard boiled eggs and mayo. I've taken the fruit and dipped it in the peanut butter they have at the dessert line. Have something back in your room that could combine into a tasty dish with something in the cafeteria? SMuggle it out. I always bring my drawstring backpack with a small tupperware container in it and smuggled a few things out.

Another thing. At my school (West Virginia University) my dining hall will cook veggie burgers on request. Ask if they can for you!
#13 Old 02-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Beginner

Being a student at a really small college myself... alot of those options mentioned above are not there (salad bars and the like).

At my cafeteria they do not allow "veggie" sandwiches. Everything is premade and sits under a lamp.

My advice... get a thermos. There was another student on here who was having trouble also. Get a thermos, some hot water, and fill it with soup. Awesome.
#14 Old 02-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Beginner

Fruit and salad sounds a bit meager, unless they have beans too, or you can grab sides like rice, fries, bread, pasta etc.? I'd consider bringing a few nuts, seeds (pumpkin, hemp, sunflower, sesame), toasted soy beans, or sprouts to sprinkle on the salad if they don't provide anything along those lines. I wind up eating something from the salad bar at work most of the time, since the vegetarian dish almost always contains cheese (argh!) and I always come home starving in spite of there usually being chickpeas, lentils, sweet corn, beans, the occasional rice or pasta salad and some kind of starch.

If you have the means to cook your own food and don't necessarily *have* to eat in the dining hall, the thermos might be a good idea. I may look into that when I go back to uni. Pulses are cheap and make soup that doesn't leave you hungry afterwards. That includes peanuts.
#15 Old 02-20-2007, 05:55 PM
Beginner

Yeah being a vegetarian is college is incredibly tough and your options sound very limited. You could buy some good hearty cereals like muesli, weetabix, or some good old granola and add a bunch of fruit to it, and some milk or soymilk. It makes a quick and satisfying meal; its something I rely on alot when I have no time to get to the dining hall. Maybe keep granola bars in your room, some applesauces, dried fruit, Peanut butter, crackers, and nuts. I rely alot on my salad bar at school luckily its well stocked and I've managed to become creative. Good Luck and Happy Eatings!!
#16 Old 02-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Beginner

ack! I know what ya mean. I'm a college freshman and theonly veggie thigns my cafeteria has is. baked potatoes, pasta and marinara sauce, cheese pizza and salad bar.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page