Body changes in the first week of no meat - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-07-2006, 06:44 AM

Hello everyone! I'm new to these forums AND to not eating meat. I'm doing so primarily for my own curiosity. I'm trying to see a few things:

1. If it's easy to do where I live (a small rural community)

2. The potential health benefits (I'm trying to reduce my cholesterol levels)

3. I want to try new foods

In other words, I'm not doing this for any moral/ethical reasons. I really don't have a problem with meat-eating, and I still migh indulge every once in a while if I stick with this. However, for my first month or two I'm cutting out ALL meat. (I'm still having eggs and dairy though.)

I'm about 10 days into it, and I'v notice something happening to my body. It's kind of embarassing, but seem to have a lot of gas and be going to the bathroom more often. Is this normal? Is my body just reacting to the "shock" of going from a high-meat diet to tofu and veggies?

What else should I expect to happen?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-07-2006, 07:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Your body is indeed shocked prob from a much much higher amount of fiber you are taking in.

There are a few tricks for instance if you are eating lots of beans soak them overnight first and drain the water off and add fresh water before cooking.

Pre soaking helps get rid of a naughty little carb that is a big culprit in causeing gas.

Going to the bathroom more often is normal, in todays world the problem is people think going once a day or once every other day is OK, but it is not that is abnormal.

You will adjust and have less gas and such with time.
#3 Old 11-07-2006, 07:13 AM

I think it's fairly normal. Especially if you are eating more beans and grains (which have more fiber). I felt really bloated and uncomfortable for several days when I made the switch. Although I must have been pretty bloated before I made the switch because after a week I hadn't lost any weight but I'd lost several inches around my stomach. People told me I looked like I'd lost 5 lbs but the scales said I stayed the same.

I also have a problem with acid reflux and I noticed that my problems with that have severely decreased, unless I eat really spicy foods or foods that are really acidic.

#4 Old 11-07-2006, 11:43 AM

I felt really ill during the first week when I switched. But overall I'm still having a lot of probs w/beans and it's frustrating! Meanwhile I don't digest dairy well, so a lot of things make me sick. I definitely felt much better after the first week but it hasn't been smooth sailing either (about three months now of this diet for me). I became veg for ethical reasons, though, so I'm not planning to go back.

Earlier this year when I was still eating meat and merely added oatmeal to my breakfast every day, I had terrible gas. My doctor said that was normal for a fiber increase and most ppl get used to it and stop having the problem. That was sort of true for me, but fiber is still sometimes difficult to digest.
#5 Old 11-07-2006, 02:24 PM

Thanks for the tips!

I've been eating oatmeal for years now - It's yummy, cheap, and really good for ya.
#6 Old 11-08-2006, 07:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't remember the increased bathroom activity when I went veg... but it was 12 years ago. I know when my BF and I started dating and he started eating more veg foods, he definitely "felt the effects of the fiber" so to speak. Now, a year and a half later, he eats almost 100% veg at home, and when he is out with his friends and eats meat (red meat especially... ) he ends up nauscious and with the runs. He no longer has any digestion issues from the veg food tho!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 11-08-2006, 08:42 AM

try cooking your beans with kombu.
#8 Old 11-08-2006, 02:05 PM

Yeah, it passes. You might also notice that, uhmm.... you spend less time (and less energy!) doing your business too.
#9 Old 11-29-2006, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

The only change I noticed is I dropped 1-2 pounds a week for 2 months. I also felt great, something I never remembered feeling before that. Keep in mind, vegetables are cheaper than meat! Meat is loaded with fat (lots of saturated) and cholesterol, so as long as you don't live only on dairy products, your cholesterol will DEFINATELY drop. Good luck and have fun! Try morningstar Farms products in the freezer section. They're the best!
#10 Old 11-29-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Try morningstar Farms products in the freezer section. They're the best!

I second that! Have you tried the Chik'n nuggets? Even my mom couldn't tell that they weren't "real"
#11 Old 11-29-2006, 08:05 PM

Its totally normal, but I think the degree of shock to the system probably also correlates to the amount of meat you were eating before going veg. I didn't really eat that much meat in the months prior to making the change and already ate alot of beans and fiber.
#12 Old 11-30-2006, 07:19 PM

Adding beans and more veggies will do that, at first. As your body adjusts to it, you won't notice such a difference, or at least the gassy effect won't be so stinky

I dropped a little weight that first few weeks, too. I did feel a little hungrier than "normal" because my meals were lighter. I just added a little healthy fat in there (healthy oil when cooking the veggies, handful of nuts/seeds, etc) and that did seem to help.

Your body will get used to it. No worries!
#13 Old 01-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I was going to ask pretty much the same thing, but I figured I'd search first. I've been transitioning off meat (fish only) for almost a month now, and I've been completely meat free for 6 days. I've had a lot of gas the last week or so, and I've been going to the bathroom a lot more.

I'm not eating beans that I can soak in advance as someone suggested. Most of my bean intake is from soy-based products, like soy milk, tofu, and fake meats.

Reading lillym's comment about the stomach shrinking without the scale noticing made me go take a look. My weight hasn't changed at all yet, but I just looked, and I do think my stomach is a little firmer and not as flabby. I'm average weight anyway, not really fat, but I could stand to lose an inch or two around the waist.

--Fromper

#14 Old 01-31-2007, 05:34 PM

My doc said Beano really works. I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my list.

http://www.beanogas.com/
#15 Old 02-13-2007, 08:17 PM

1. I had to go to the bathroom a lot! I don't mean to be graphic...but the higher fiber made everything "vacate" quicker than I was used to. Still, after 3-4 days everything went back to normal and my digestion is actually better than when I ate meat.

2. My skin is clearer.

3. I have to eat a lot more food to feel satisfied...I don't think I could ever eat a low fat vegan diet...I have to eat A LOT of sunflower seeds, avocados, olives, olive oil, almond butter, and tofu to be full.

4. I never feel bloated.
#16 Old 02-13-2007, 08:31 PM

i've recently just started but i've lost about a pound a day..... and my urine is clearer, but, since i got off meat i'm never hungry. ever. its like meat has drugs in it that make you want to eat and eat. i feel better, lost some weight, and have more energy. is that normal?
#17 Old 02-14-2007, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidneylust View Post

i've recently just started but i've lost about a pound a day..... and my urine is clearer, but, since i got off meat i'm never hungry. ever. its like meat has drugs in it that make you want to eat and eat. i feel better, lost some weight, and have more energy. is that normal?

I don't think that's normal, but I'm not an expert. Losing that much weight that quickly probably isn't healthy. I think I read somewhere that the human body can't lose more than about 1 pound of fat per week, so if you're losing weight faster than that, you're losing muscle, too. If you're severely overweight, then losing that much is probably not a bad thing, but you should probably talk to a doctor about it. Reading a good book like "Becoming Vegetarian" by Davis and Melina will probably help you keep track of nutrition, too.

Personally, my weight has been pretty constant since going veg last month. I'd like to lose about 5-10 pounds, but I'm only slightly above my ideal weight, so I'm thin enough that I'm not overly concerned about it. I've also been more hungry since going veg. I think I need to focus on eating more carbs and beans/nuts/fake meats. Eating lots of fruits and veggies just leaves me hungry.

--Fromper

#18 Old 02-14-2007, 11:05 AM

Since you're still eating dairy and eggs, make sure you're not replacing meat with extra dairy and eggs. If you do, your cholesterol probably won't go down, plus dairy gives a lot of people gas.
#19 Old 02-20-2007, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

I'd rather have to go to the bathroom more often than have the opposite problem
#20 Old 02-21-2007, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcranberry View Post

Its totally normal, but I think the degree of shock to the system probably also correlates to the amount of meat you were eating before going veg. I didn't really eat that much meat in the months prior to making the change and already ate alot of beans and fiber.

I think you are right about the degree of shock being equal to amount of meat prior to the change. Went Vegan a few years ago but I spent the year prior to the change eating small amounts of seafood and no red meat. No shock for me.
#21 Old 02-22-2007, 03:11 PM

When I first went veg. I was hungry alot and did, actually, go to the bathroom alot more. I had more energy too. xD
#22 Old 02-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrWorstNitemare View Post

When I first went veg. I was hungry alot and did, actually, go to the bathroom alot more. I had more energy too. xD

I got a TON of energy too when I went veg. Maybe it was the weight loss. Less weighing me down.

I wasn't hungry for the first month. It was the second month of being a veg that I was hungry a lot. It wasn't because the food wasn't filling, it was because I cut back on my food a lot to continue with the weight loss I was experiencing as a veg. I was afraid it was going to stop. I'm happy to say that it didn't last long. I went back to eating like a normal person

I went from 128 to 116 just being a veg. I cut back on my food to get down to 112. Once I started eating again, I went back to 116 very quickly. Cutting down on sugar and kickboxing has helped me get into pretty good shape. I'm in the best shape I've ever been in!
#23 Old 03-01-2007, 05:14 PM

I've been veggie for a week now and I already feel I have much more energy. I also noticed my skin appears to be cleared up and much healthier. Definatly also have a lot more gas, although i'm sure my body will adjust soon. And probably most important of all, I feel really good about myself. I deal with depression from time to time and I havent felt this good in probably a long time. I love being vegetarian.
#24 Old 03-03-2007, 06:11 AM

haha. my boyfriend and i have been veggie's for 3 months now. and we have more gas too. i think it is because of all the fiber i'm eating. but whatever. if i'm going to go to the bathroom everyday, which i used to go everyother day, then as long as it is normal that is fine with me. i probably wasn't healthy by going to the bathroom everyother day anyways.
#25 Old 03-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Beginner

When I first went veg, after a few weeks I remember feeling so healthy. I had never felt that way before. I felt clean inside, rather than having meat polluting my body.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~ Mahatma Gandhi
#26 Old 03-04-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Cutting down on sugar and kickboxing has helped me get into pretty good shape.

haha I've also cut down on sugar ^_^

My face is also clearer since going Veg. w00t
#27 Old 03-05-2007, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrWorstNitemare View Post

haha I've also cut down on sugar ^_^

My face is also clearer since going Veg. w00t

Cutting down on sugar is a lot easier than I thought it would be. The only thing... when I'm stressed and super busy, I tend to consume more. The other day, I had a milkshake AND a scoop of ice cream. *hehe* I'm cutting back again though. My hips are starting to grow out...

My face cleared too when I went veg I wasn't broken out a lot before, but I noticed a difference.
#28 Old 03-05-2007, 07:31 AM

the first week I had really bad gas......imagine pigpen from the peanuts comic how he always has a cloud of dust around him. I had a perpetual gas cloud round me the first week. Didn't lose any weight but no longer have any trouble with constipation.
#29 Old 03-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I have been going veg for a month now and I still have a lot of gas. I still eat and use the restroom a lot too.
#30 Old 03-05-2007, 01:10 PM

i didn't lose weight just because of veganism but i feel healthier... lighter, almost? i feel cleaner, even when i pig out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page