Can you freeze soymilk? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-30-2006, 06:47 PM

I'm about to go on vacation and I don't want my milk to go bad in the fridge. I know you can freeze cow's milk. What about soy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-30-2006, 06:56 PM

Well you can freeze other soy products....

Hm. I'd like to know the answer to that also Sorry, I have no good advice, just wanted to throw in that I've been wondering about that too!
#3 Old 06-30-2006, 07:06 PM

what if it comes out like soy icecream? lol.

i don't see why not, but soymilk isn't like regular milk, in that it has a really long shelf life. Most brands of nutmilks can be left on the shelf unrefridgerated for months if you don't open it.

but yeah try freezing it. don't see why you couldn't
mariaveggie likes this.
#4 Old 06-30-2006, 07:09 PM

I'll give it a shot. Freezing it can't be any worse than leaving it in the fridge for a week.
#5 Old 06-30-2006, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

what if it comes out like soy icecream? lol.

i don't see why not, but soymilk isn't like regular milk, in that it has a really long shelf life. Most brands of nutmilks can be left on the shelf unrefridgerated for months if you don't open it.

but yeah try freezing it. don't see why you couldn't

I'd always been told that soymilk goes "bad" much sooner than cow's milk? Or maybe it's just the brand I drink... do you know about Silk?
#6 Old 06-30-2006, 07:47 PM

I'll try it out too - I have some that'd be going bad anyways.
#7 Old 06-30-2006, 10:34 PM

I heard that soymilk can be frozen, with no effects once it thaws, perhaps at most a minor taste and texture difference may occur, but it should not be major.
#8 Old 07-01-2006, 12:02 AM

I froze unsweetened soymilk for the first time today, to use it in a smoothie... tasted fine, but turned darker/yellow-ish, even after freezing for only an hour or two. So don't sweat it if you notice that happening. ;D
#9 Old 07-01-2006, 01:24 AM

I would think since the texture of tofu changes through freezing the texture of soy milk will too. It would probably be good in smoothies or something you can blend if the texture changes. So, I'd say "freeze it."
#10 Old 07-02-2006, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moechalatte View Post

I'd always been told that soymilk goes "bad" much sooner than cow's milk? Or maybe it's just the brand I drink... do you know about Silk?

I can't comment on other brands of soy milk, but Silk's shelf life (unopened) is a couple of months.
#11 Old 07-02-2006, 03:18 PM

Quote:

Yeah, what Sunny said.

Once it's opened, you've got about a week to drink it all.
#12 Old 07-02-2006, 03:44 PM

This is just a WAG (wild assed guess) but I would think that you could. The reason you cant freeze cows milk is because the homogenization is destroyed and the milk separates. This wouldnt be a factor with soy milk because it is not homogenized. The changes that occur in tofu which has been frozen are due to mechanical alteration of the air pockets in the tofu. Again, I dont think this would be a factor with milk.
#13 Old 07-02-2006, 04:44 PM

I've (accidentaly) frozen Silk and thawed it out, then used it. I noticed no difference, but I only left it frozen for about three days.
#14 Old 07-03-2006, 08:19 AM

Well i have no real advice but just out of curiosity...how do you know when soy milk has gone bad? i mean, like cows milk you can tell cuz it tastes wierd and curdles and whatnot but like how do you tell with Soy? Isn't it's shelf life once you open it 7-10 days? well, if you have it in there for longer, what can it do to you? Thanks guys and...

my guess on the freezing thing is sure why not? you can freeze many other sorts of milks, so why not soy?
#15 Old 07-03-2006, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancechik782 View Post

Well i have no real advice but just out of curiosity...how do you know when soy milk has gone bad? i mean, like cows milk you can tell cuz it tastes wierd and curdles and whatnot but like how do you tell with Soy?

I make homemade soy milk and when it goes bad, the taste is awful. It looks sort of weird (more separated?) and smells bad too. I don't know if the store bought ones do the same thing or not.
#16 Old 07-03-2006, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrum42 View Post

I make homemade soy milk and when it goes bad, the taste is awful. It looks sort of weird (more separated?) and smells bad too. I don't know if the store bought ones do the same thing or not.

okay, cuz i had mine in the fridge for about 11(?) days and it was still okay, but the next day i open it and it smells really weird....i wasnt sure if that meant anything like if it's actually HARMFUL or whatnot but okay....thanks for the opinion!
#17 Old 05-19-2013, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will know now that I can still drink it if it turns an odd colour. At least I won't be wasting it!

#18 Old 05-19-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moechalatte View Post

I can't comment on other brands of soy milk, but Silk's shelf life (unopened) is a couple of months.

Just reminding everyone that Silk makes both shelf stable and non-shelf stable milks, and you'll want to keep an eye on that. Usually they're in way different parts of the grocery store (cold near dairy, shelf near coffee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaveggie View Post

Thanks for the advice. I will know now that I can still drink it if it turns an odd colour. At least I won't be wasting it!

If it does go weird, you can always just use it in baking, smoothies, etc, where the taste will be negated. Not if it goes bad in general, but if it separates from freezing or you don't like the colour or something.

#19 Old 05-20-2013, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post

I'm about to go on vacation and I don't want my milk to go bad in the fridge. I know you can freeze cow's milk. What about soy?

This is an interesting thread.I am really also wondering about the nut milks.Would it be the same?

#20 Old 05-20-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJane1 View Post

This is an interesting thread.I am really also wondering about the nut milks.Would it be the same?

It is interesting.

I don't know that I've ever seen too many 'cold' non-dairy milks. Ours mostly seem to be on the shelf in the long life milk section (though, that's where we tend to get them from, so it might be in the cold section and I'm just not paying enough attention :P). Would love to know if any of those non-dairy milks freeze, and more importantly unfreeze in a nice way. It would be handy for long trips, when arriving at a destination, not having to wait for the milk to necessarily cool down in the fridge before drinking it.

Also, does anyone know about the freezing, refreezing factors as far as health safety goes? I know off milk is terrible, but are non-dairy milks more resilient?

LadyJane1 likes this.
#21 Old 05-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Poo Pie Head

Tigerlilly, the ones that they tend to sell in the cold case section tend to be the half gallon carton types, I have only ever seen the quart sized ones of the shelf stable ones tho. At least here it means that the half gallon "cold" soymilk is much cheaper per ounce than the shelf stable ones ($2.99 for the half gallon vs $1.99 for the quarts). Also, I wonder about how much extra processing the shelf stable ones get to be stored at room temp, and how it affects their nutritional footprint.
#22 Old 07-26-2013, 07:29 PM

I froze soymilk once and you know how it's ....snotty....at the bottom if you don't shake it every time? Yeah, kinda like that.

I don't think it was bad though> I think I used it for cooking, but couldn't drink it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page