Egg replacements not containing any real egg/egg parts? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-12-2006, 05:31 AM

This last weekend, we celebrated my boyfriend's 22nd birthday. He tries to eat entirely organic food and for the most part he does. I didn't know what to do about making him a cake.

I went to Whole Foods and bought an organic cake mix and an organic icing mix. My problem was that I didn't know what to do about the eggs needed for the cake mix. He won't eat eggs, he's a very strict vegetarian, bordering

on vegan. So he won't eat/use organic eggs either.

I made the cake with him there per his preference: no eggs. I think we both knew this cake couldn't come out very great... and it didn't.

The cake was very dry and it didn't rise, it was convex. However, the icing did turn out great (no eggs needed).

So my question is: are there any egg replacements that don't contain any egg? I go to grocery stores and everything contains some real egg. I don't want to do the egg whites, I don't want any part of the egg.

Are there any other substitutes? I think a friend of mine mentioned using tofu?

I would like an egg substitute for baking and also I wonder if there's an egg substitute that tastes like a real egg or at least comes close. It would be nice.

Thank you for your help and educating such a naive new vegetarian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-12-2006, 05:38 AM

Hello

You can get a vegan egg replacement specifically for baking, I think it's called (some fancy spelling) energy egg replacer - ask in a healthfood shop. I use ground up flax seeds in baking - 1 tablespoon of ground flax plus 3 tablespoons of water for each egg. Just mix em up and let sit for ten minutes until gloopy.

For other eggy things - try searching for recipes for 'tofu scramble' - a delicious way to eat tofu!
#3 Old 06-12-2006, 06:10 AM
Banned

EGG REPLACEMENTS:

Any of the following are equivalent to 1 egg (select the proper replacement by determining the function of egg in recipe- i.e. binder, or emulsifier, etc...) Note: The replacement that works well in one application may not work well in a different application.

Also Note- Egg substitutes sold in most supermarkets do contain egg products and should not be confused with egg replacements (Ener-G Egg Replacer is egg free.)

1 tablespoon ground flaxseed meal + 3 tablespoons water + 1 tablespoon canola (or other cooking oil) oil + 1 teaspoon baking powder + 1 teaspoon tapioca or potato or corn starch- Combine using a whisk in a medium sized bowl, the ingredients will expand. Allow to stand five minutes, and whisk again before adding.

Note: If replacing egg whites, omit oil

1/ 4 teaspoon agar powder + 1 / 4 cup water + 1 teaspoon baking powder- Whisk before adding to recipe

1-1/2 teaspoons of Ener-G Egg Replacer plus 2 tablespoons of water

1 / 2 tablespoon agar flakes + 1 / 4 cup water + 1 teaspoon baking powder- In a microwave safe container, combine water and agar; cook on high for 45 seconds. Carefully remove and whisk baking powder into mixture. Use caution, the baking powder causes a rapid expansion of the liquid and has a tendency to foam over.

1 /4 cup tofu (whipped in blender or beaten prior to adding to recipe)

1 tablespoon flaxseed meat plus 3 tablespoons water replaces one egg (combine and allow to stand for 3-5 minutes, or until gelantized)

1 /4 cup banana or other fruit puree (whipped or beaten)

2 tablespoons liquid + 1 tablespoon potato or tapioca starch + 1 /2 tablespoon shortening + 3 /4 teaspoon baking powder

1 tablespoon canola or other mild flavored oil + 1 tablespoon apple cider or wine vinegar + 1 teaspoon baking powder + 1 teaspoon starch + enough carbonated water to equal 1 /4 cup (combine in a medium size bowl- the ingredients will increase in volume as baking soda and vinegar react. Whisk, then add per instructions.

http://www.foodallergykitchen.com/substitutions.asp

#4 Old 06-12-2006, 09:21 AM

i use 2 tsp baking soda, 1 tbsp water, 2 tbsp olive oil. it works perfectly for me
#5 Old 06-13-2006, 06:52 PM

whoa lol I could never find that stuff around here.
#6 Old 06-13-2006, 07:14 PM

As someone else mentioned, I use Ener-G Egg Replacer powder, which is awesome. The product site link is below, and they even have a section to find the store located closest to you that sells their products.

http://www.ener-g.com/store/detail.a...es&id=97&cat=8
#7 Old 06-13-2006, 11:36 PM

I use the Ener-G Egg Replacer in my baking and it works well. I haven't tried it in a cake yet but it is supposed to be a great replacement in baking, as long as the baking is from stratch. They don't recommend you use the egg replacer in boxed recipes. I am thinking you were making yours from stratch anyway, so this egg replacer would work well for you.
#8 Old 06-16-2006, 07:58 AM

I use the flaxseed and water combo when i bake, it works great!
#9 Old 06-16-2006, 12:19 PM

ener-g egg replacer works well (it's a powder you mix with water), or 1/4 cup of applesauce with 1/4 tsp of baking soda. Usually the applesauce thing works well in box mixes--and I prefer to use unsweetened applesauce.
#10 Old 06-16-2006, 12:44 PM

As everyone has said, Egg Replacers (powdered) are best! However, some don't have these things! So..

Bananna : Use 1/2 a bananna, mashed, to replace one egg in sweet baked goods.

Applesauce: Add about 1/2 cup applesauce in replace of one egg. You might need just a pinch more of baking powder it using this method.

Tofu: Use 1/4 cup mashed silken tofu for one egg. Again, you may need just a pinch more baking powder.

Soy Flour: 1 tbsp of soy flour or cornstarch plus 2 tbsps of water replaces one egg.
#11 Old 06-25-2006, 04:50 AM

1/2 cup applesauce or mashed banana

3 T silken tofu blended with the recipe's liquid ingredients

2 T cornstarch mixed with 2 T water
#12 Old 06-25-2006, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussyj View Post

Bananna : Use 1/2 a bananna, mashed, to replace one egg in sweet baked goods.

I thought it was 1 banana = 1 egg?

All this advice is great though. I am definitely feeling motivated to try some new cooking ideas now. Much thanks to everyone who's contributed.

Also, one quick question: As great as all these egg replacements might be for cooking, there's nothing you can just throw on a frying pan and have it taste and feel like fried eggs right? Not that I crave fried eggs that badly, but I'm curious.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page