Is crab considered fish? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-04-2006, 03:54 PM
Beginner

Okay so i haven't eaten meat or fish but crab and lobster are some of my favorite foods (i haven't eaten them yet). So if i eat lobster or crab am i considered a vegetarian?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Kiz
Beginner

No, they are not fish, they are crustaceans. But no, eating them is not vegetarian.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#3 Old 03-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Beginner

Crabs, lobsters, scallops, shrimp and all the others. If you eat seafood, you aren't vegetarian.

Though, if you do eat it, I don't know what the term of that would be. Pescetarian is a person who eats fish. Is there one for seafood?
#4 Old 03-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

there one for seafood?

omni
#5 Old 03-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Beginner

do seafood restraunts serve fake seafood
#6 Old 03-04-2006, 04:25 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaliv3 View Post

I very much doubt it, at least i've not seen any. You can get vegetarian sushi which tastes kinda fishy to me. If you eat any kind of seafood you'd be a pescetarian, not a vegetarian.
#7 Old 03-04-2006, 04:28 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I've been to vegetarian restaurants that serve fake seafood. Don't know if they do this in any seafood resaurants though.
#8 Old 03-04-2006, 05:35 PM
Beginner

i buy veggie sushi from the HFS, they don't maketheir sushi (any of it) with fish, they have a vegan roll and a cream-cheese roll (philli roll?).. and when i buy it from the normal grocery store, i watch them make it, and they're VERY careful...

oops, offtopic..

no, crab is seafood, eating crab means you are not a vegetarian.
#9 Old 03-04-2006, 05:39 PM
Beginner

I've never heard of a seafood restaurant serving fake seafood, but that doesn't mean one doesn't exist anywhere. Beward of things called "Imitation Crab Meat" and such - they're not vegetarian alternatives, they still contain seafood.
#10 Old 03-04-2006, 05:44 PM
Beginner

I get just get Cucumber with seaweed and rice. I like it. And my mom and siblings and my dad like Avacado. We don't get fisheggs or anything like that. Its good.
#11 Old 03-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Beginner

Vegetarians do not eat animals. I think it's great you've been reducing your meat intake, though. Thanks for asking.
#12 Old 03-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Beginner

Quote:

No.... and unfortunately, fake crab is whitefish.

If you're very lucky, you may have a Buddhist place in your town that does truly vegetarian fake meats -- like shrimp, fish, crab, and chicken. My town does not have such places, though. You can find veggie fake shrimp, crab, and the like online as well. Does anyone have links?
#13 Old 03-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Kiz
Beginner

I have a recipe for fake fish. I learnt it a cooking course at the local Buddhist temple. It's fishy. Not great, but it does taste fishy and looks a bit like flathead fillet.

#14 Old 03-05-2006, 03:35 AM
Beginner

i'm curious kiz... .. how do you make fake fish?
#15 Old 03-05-2006, 03:41 AM
Kiz
Beginner

As I said to someone via pm, I wouldn't necessarily recommend the recipe. It does taste like fish, it tastes like old cheap cuts of bottom feeding carp from a muddy river, fried. Heh.. when I find it I'll post it anyway. It has kelp and potato amongst other things in it. Not hard to make at all.

#16 Old 03-05-2006, 03:42 AM
Banned

Crab is an animal, and not part of a vegetarian diet. Sorry.
#17 Old 03-05-2006, 04:51 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Okay so i haven't eaten meat or fish but crab and lobster are some of my favorite foods (i haven't eaten them yet). So if i eat lobster or crab am i considered a vegetarian?

imo vegetarians shouldn't even be considered vegetarians

eggs are not vegetables, nor is milk or cheese.

imo veganism should be called vegetarianism and vegitarians should be called omnivores since that is indeed what they are especially if they eat fish flesh, dairy and eggs.

but it's not really about what you call yourself.

why are you a vegetarian? to be in a club? The nature of your question would lead me to believe that's why you want to be one.

if you're a vegetarian for health reasons it seems you can claim that title and eat whatever you want.

if you're a vegetarian for ethical reasons you have to ask yourself if you only care about not eating animals that are cute. Then you have to ask yourself if it's ok to eat animals that are tortured or if it's only ok to eat the things an animal creates while it's tortured (milk and eggs).
#18 Old 03-05-2006, 06:09 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romac View Post

imo veganism should be called vegetarianism and vegitarians should be called omnivores since that is indeed what they are especially if they eat fish flesh, dairy and eggs.

The word 'vegetarian' doesn't come from the word 'vegetable', it comes from 'vegetus', meaning 'lively' - in reference to how the diet made people feel. Otherwise we couldn't eat yeast, mushrooms, nuts or fruit, as these aren't vegetables either. The Vegetarian Society, which coined it, exclude seafood-eaters, but not lacto-ovos from the definition: 'A vegetarian does not eat any meat, poultry, game, fish, shellfish or crustacea, or slaughter by-products such as gelatine or animal fats.'

I agree that the words used should be clearer, and if they must use Latin, not Latin that sounds deceptively like English. It doesn't seem likely that we'll be able to change them now though.
#19 Old 03-05-2006, 06:54 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sproutsfan View Post

The word 'vegetarian' doesn't come from the word 'vegetable', it comes from 'vegetus', meaning 'lively' - in reference to how the diet made people feel. Otherwise we couldn't eat yeast, mushrooms, nuts or fruit, as these aren't vegetables either. The Vegetarian Society, which coined it, exclude seafood-eaters, but not lacto-ovos from the definition: 'A vegetarian does not eat any meat, poultry, game, fish, shellfish or crustacea, or slaughter by-products such as gelatine or animal fats.'

I agree that the words used should be clearer, and if they must use Latin, not Latin that sounds deceptively like English. It doesn't seem likely that we'll be able to change them now though.

cool i learned something! i always assumed (as probably most people do) that the word was an abbreviation of vegetable.

and yeah it's a rare day in hell you'll see a definition changed after a word becomes commonly known

i do like the terms herbivore, omnivore, and carnivore, although they may be equally undescriptive to the masses, but i wonder if even vegans would be considered omnivores if they eat fungi since they are, as you pointed out, not vegetables.
#20 Old 03-05-2006, 07:26 AM
Beginner

I think the term 'pescetarian' is meant to include those who eat any kind of seafood. The term 'fish' is often used to refer inclusively to the entire realm of seafood, the same way the term 'vegetable' is sometimes used to refer inclusively to the entire plant kingdom.

You can find dishes made with fake 'shrimp', as well as fake 'chicken' and 'beef,' in vegetarian restaurants, and even in some regular Chinese restaurants. There's a Chinese restaurant across the street from where I work that has a whole menu of dishes made with vegetarian 'meats.'

Beware of fake crab-- it's usually made with fish. If you see something that says it's fake crab, be sure the menu says it's vegetarian, and if in doubt, check with the waiter and/or the kitchen.
#21 Old 03-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romac View Post

but it's not really about what you call yourself.

why are you a vegetarian? to be in a club? The nature of your question would lead me to believe that's why you want to be one.

if you're a vegetarian for health reasons it seems you can claim that title and eat whatever you want.

if you're a vegetarian for ethical reasons you have to ask yourself if you only care about not eating animals that are cute. Then you have to ask yourself if it's ok to eat animals that are tortured or if it's only ok to eat the things an animal creates while it's tortured (milk and eggs).

I was just curious...
#22 Old 03-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Beginner

justalive3: don't let one person scare you away! your question is legitimate!

welcome into a journey into vegetarianism. we are here to help and answer questions along the way!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page