VeggieBoards banner

Does milk really have puss in it?

21K views 84 replies 36 participants last post by  Diana 
#1 ·
Someone told me this once, and i was just wondering if it was true.

See less See more
#28 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebutterfly05 View Post

Here's an example:

PETA has stickers that say "Got pus? Milk does. MilkSucks.com"

When people see this, they often want to know if it's true. So they go to MilkSucks.com, where they learn about both health AND animal reasons to cut out milk. If the sticker said something about animal cruelty instead, some will say "damn treehuggers" and never even go to the site. (Not saying everyone doesn't care, but these stickers could be a good way to get people onto the site that wouldn't have gone there if they knew it was just about animal rights.)
That's funny you mention that. My 16 y-o daughter took a bunch of those stickers to her high school and gave some out and also put some on the lunch tables. Her friend is spending the night tonight and has one of those stickers on the back of her cell phone. She said after she found out what was in milk and also in cheese, that she won't eat cheeseburgers anymore. I know, burgers but no cheese, lol, but it's a step in the right direction. So yeah, the stickers make a statement.

#30 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyliemc View Post

That's funny you mention that. My 16 y-o daughter took a bunch of those stickers to her high school and gave some out and also put some on the lunch tables. Her friend is spending the night tonight and has one of those stickers on the back of her cell phone. She said after she found out what was in milk and also in cheese, that she won't eat cheeseburgers anymore. I know, burgers but no cheese, lol, but it's a step in the right direction. So yeah, the stickers make a statement.
Just tell her that the burger she's eating is the spent dairy cow whose milk she wouldn't drink. If you wouldn't drink the milk from a sickly cow, why would you eat it's flesh?

~Wonder

#31 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry06 View Post

Someone told me this once, and i was just wondering if it was true.
I don't know if puss is in the milk, but if my cats had their way milk would sure be in the puss.

#33 ·
Talking about cats, I'm using shock tactic on my fellow catlovers:

Did you know that commercial cat food very often contains ....cats ?

I don't know if that is true for all commercial brands, but people surely find the idea disturbing and might do some research which hopefully leads to other revelations to them....

#34 ·
Generally it doesn't, Pauline, no. That's a bit of an urban legend. There are a couple of threads lurking around VB debunking it.

#40 ·
When you think how common it is for breast feeding mums to get mastitis, no one should be surprised its possible for the poor cows that are milked on a daily basis and often seen with swollen udders.

Breast feeding mums have antibiotics for mastitis so do cows, hence antibiotic residue in milk.

MILK IS DESIGNED FOR BABY CALVES NOT HUMANS.

My friend has just told me that she knows a lorry driver who used to deliver milk in tankers and he told her if any milk is spilled on a road its classed the same as a chemical spill as it can do tremendous damage to the area. Scary that, what the hell is in it!!???.

#41 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tails4wagging View Post

When you think how common it is for breast feeding mums to get mastitis, no one should be surprised its possible for the poor cows that are milked on a daily basis and often seen with swollen udders.
I had mastitis after giving birth to my last child. It was so painful that the pain pills hardly helped at all. I couldn't imagine dealing with that pain and being milked at the same time. Aarrghhh.

#42 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tails4wagging View Post

MILK IS DESIGNED FOR BABY CALVES NOT HUMANS.
Not necessarily for you... but sometimes when I hear this I wonder if the person would be happy to buy human breast milk if they sold it in the store.

#47 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Not necessarily for you... but sometimes when I hear this I wonder if the person would be happy to buy human breast milk if they sold it in the store.
Of course they wouldn't. That's why they say what they do. Milk is for babies and for the species that the mother is. On the other hand I'm suprised milk-drinkers refuse to drink human milk. Alot of people see a bottle of human milk and go "eewww that's breastmilk!!" and they drink cow's milk. I do not get that.

#48 ·
Quote:

Of course they wouldn't. That's why they say what they do. Milk is for babies and for the species that the mother is. On the other hand I'm suprised milk-drinkers refuse to drink human milk. Alot of people see a bottle of human milk and go "eewww that's breastmilk!!" and they drink cow's milk. I do not get that.
Well, they're unlikely to eat human meat either.

#49 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by madder View Post

Well, they're unlikely to eat human meat either.
Yeah but humans aren't raised on human meat. There's a difference. I can imagine someone breastfeeding their child. I can't imagine someone letting their child eat mommy's arm! lol

Human breastmilk is more natural for a human to drink (though they shouldn't as an adult) Drinking it from a different species is alot weirder and unnatural. And breastfeeding is voluntary, cow's milk is like rape/sexual assault, lol.

#50 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sproutsfan View Post

What's misleading about saying there's pus in milk if there is? We're not conjectoring consequences or telling people how they should feel about it; just giving facts.
I think if you're going to say that there's white blood cells in milk, is true, it should also be said that they are made inert by pasteurization and pose no threat to humans. I think it's a weak argument that plays on the gross factor. That's kind of like saying "don't eat carrots they grow in dirt and are dirty when they come up out of the ground, and are fertilized with feces".

I do eat diary products myself, that's a personal choice. I certainly am not going to advocate that choice for others and I do know better than to engage vegans in a discussion about it. I know when to hold them and know when to fold them.

#51 ·
Quote:

So it's a lie? Why would the dairy industry lie against itself? How could they benefit by saying there's a pus cell count?
I was responding to your response to why use misleading information. You seemed to imply that it was o.k. as long as it worked to get people to not drink milk.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood. Again, I am not a milk advocate by no means.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.