Ahhh! Prawn Crackers!!!!!!! - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-03-2006, 01:10 PM

So I was just enjoying my first chinese since going veggie - nice sweet and sour veggies, some mushroom chow mein, and PRAWN CRACKERS!!!! It wasn't until my also veggie sister pointed out the PRAWN, in the crackers that I stopped eating them - and i ate loads!! So I'm feeling pretty bad now, although we all make these mistakes, but I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how is prawn in the crackers?? Is it just a flavouring or is there actually somehow prawns in them? Hopefully someone will write back saying that they're completely veg*n and i can eat as many as i want, doubt it though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-03-2006, 01:19 PM

nope, they have prawn "stuff" in them. typically, it's some kind of extract or dehydrated boiled stuff.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#3 Old 02-03-2006, 01:22 PM

Traditional ones have actual minced prawn in them, but commercial ones usually have prawn "flavoring," which is probably animal-derived.

Don't beat yourself up too much; we all slip up.

#4 Old 02-03-2006, 02:01 PM

Yeah, I thought as much. Thanks - i'm gonna go eat loads of fruit to try and make up for it or something!!!!
#5 Old 02-03-2006, 02:10 PM

Prawns...in the crackers?????

Oh, dear Lord.

*this space not for sale*
#6 Old 02-03-2006, 02:49 PM

reminds me of that Chicken in a Biscuit stuff
#7 Old 02-03-2006, 03:13 PM

Shrimp chips are a very popular snack here. :shudder:

Nec Aspera Terrent
#8 Old 02-03-2006, 03:18 PM

I used to eat these by the bucketload before I went veg.
LL
#9 Old 02-03-2006, 06:26 PM

Yeah, I almost made the same mistake the other day...was going to order from the chinese and was looking through the menu picking out what we wanted. I was looking forward to prawn crackers and thinking "mmm yummy" when I noticed there was no "V" by them on the menu. I was like "what!?!? how come???" and then I realised....*prawn* crackers
#10 Old 02-03-2006, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vggiegirl View Post

I used to eat these by the bucketload before I went veg.

They also have a vegan version made with sweet potatoes that is delish...

"I remember the days when we talked for hours/And we were young, we thought we had superpowers/We weren't our problems, our age or our paychecks/And we weren't taking anybody's $h*t."
#11 Old 02-03-2006, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegbunny83 View Post

They also have a vegan version made with sweet potatoes that is delish...

I'd try that Looking back though, I can't believe I ever liked those. I was in Hapkido which is a Korean martial art, so trips to the Korean store were common. I also like the prawn crackers with a peanut inside

And kimchee... I still loves me some (vegan) kimchee
#12 Old 02-03-2006, 09:31 PM

OMG! I have seen "chicken in a biscuit" crackers before...gross...
#13 Old 02-04-2006, 12:37 AM

am right there with ya had a close pal that loved those chicken crackers--they grossed me out--yuck!!

peace and love

jenn
#14 Old 02-04-2006, 06:37 AM

Yeah, I miss prawn crackers. The gutter, though, is that you get them free at the chinese when you buy anything! Normally when we takeout just my little sister gets chinese, and I'm not sure how she works that. Maybe my dad asks not to be given them?
#15 Old 02-04-2006, 05:31 PM

The local Indonesian restaurant offers vegetarians cassava crackers instead of the shrimp ones. Unfortunately, they're frying them in the same oil as the shrimp krupek. sigh...

#16 Old 02-04-2006, 06:11 PM

Prawn crackers... Hadn't heard that one before.
#17 Old 02-05-2006, 08:02 AM

I just had my second chinese as a vegetarian and sat staring longingly at the crackers... wish there was a veg*n version!
#18 Old 02-05-2006, 08:17 AM

I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones-- when I order Chinese I get free fortune cookies... and chow mein noodles if I got soup. I'm pretty sure there's no prawns there. I've never heard of such a thing, and it sounds hideous.
#19 Old 02-05-2006, 08:27 AM

I think you have something similar from indonesia, it's called kroepoek. It is also made with shrimps, but the good news is, there are also vegetarian ones, and they are very good. They are made form cassava/tapoica.
#20 Old 02-05-2006, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones-- when I order Chinese I get free fortune cookies... and chow mein noodles if I got soup. I'm pretty sure there's no prawns there. I've never heard of such a thing, and it sounds hideous.

We don't get them around here either Tess..only fortune cookies or chow mein noodles as well. However, when I used to go for Korean food *shudder* I would always get the crackers.
#21 Old 02-05-2006, 08:29 AM

Maybe that's the thing, I don't know that I've EVER had Korean food.
#22 Old 02-05-2006, 08:53 AM

I had to look up the word prawn. I feel stupid.
#23 Old 02-05-2006, 10:39 AM

We call them "Shrimp chips". They are yummy yummy! I once looked for recipes on the web so I could make my own and omit the prawn and replace with some other flavor. I did find recipes, but didn't bookmark them. Might be a little project for someone. It's fun to make them at home. You throw the hard chips in the oil and they suddenly expand and curld and stuff.

Here's a recipe right here- http://kuali.com/recipes/viewrecipe.asp?r=1351 you could substitute onion for the prawn meat.
#24 Old 02-05-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

We call them "Shrimp chips". They are yummy yummy! I once looked for recipes on the web so I could make my own and omit the prawn and replace with some other flavor. I did find recipes, but didn't bookmark them. Might be a little project for someone. It's fun to make them at home. You throw the hard chips in the oil and they suddenly expand and curld and stuff.

Here's a recipe right here- http://kuali.com/recipes/viewrecipe.asp?r=1351 you could substitute onion for the prawn meat.

Oooh! That sounds fun! I'll definately have a look around and see if I can find a good recipe. Thanks. x
#25 Old 02-05-2006, 12:01 PM

talking of chinese food...i ordered a vegetable spring roll with my last take out , i cut it open to find it had pork in it... it really P*ssed me off, seeing as i specifically asked if they were veg & the woman said they were.

luckily i checked it before i ate it, so a disaster was avoided!
#26 Old 02-05-2006, 12:21 PM

I always loved those things. I pretty much take for granted they always have prawn in them.

Don't feel bad if you're American (or non-English-speaking) and had to look up "prawn". The way I learned what prawn was, was by stopping at a petrol station in England (is that what they call them?) and picking up a pre-wrapped prawn sandwich for dinner. I wasn't veggie at the time, but I was American, and was briefly disappointed there wasn't an all-night diner with some pancakes.
#27 Old 02-05-2006, 12:29 PM

If anyone wants to make their own prawn-less crackers, all you need to do is buy the dried (raw) crackers and deep fry them. They sell them in some Asian markets, and online:

http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11093..._Crackers.html

http://www.dutchconnectionimports.com/maxcascracne.html

http://indomerchant.com/varrawcrac.html
#28 Old 02-05-2006, 12:37 PM

They can also be put in microwaves. Hmm, I always assumed that this food would be widely known, since it is over here in the Netherlands... I'd love to put a lot of animal free 'kroepoek' links over here, but they would probably only be selled over here, so there's not much use. Conimex is a large brand over here, but the english site only shows the prawn crackers, not the vegetarian ones. I would suggest going to asian marktets, though. They have lots of varieties, and making them yourself is lots of fun, like other said.
#29 Old 02-05-2006, 09:34 PM

I used to love prawn chips too. I'll have to check out those veg recipes.

Long ago there was an ad campaign on TV in the US featuring Paul Hogan (Crocodile Dundee) encouraging people to travel to Australia. In it he says the line "Throw another shrimp on the barbie". While the ads were on, I travelled around the US, and as soon as anyone found out I was Australian they would say that to me. I had to keep telling people that we called them prawns, and I've never seen anyone cook them on the bbq. Before going to the US, I didn't know what a shrimp was (except for a really short person).
#30 Old 02-06-2006, 10:30 AM

If you go to a veggie Chinese restaurant, they will serve you crackers made with mushroom extract. There are several of these places in the UK and very good they are too! You can either stick to all veggie or take the mock meat route or mix and match. I like some mock meat but I find a whole meal of it too rich. Anyway, the crackers are wonderful!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page