Common foods - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-05-2005, 03:04 PM

Hi, I was wondering if there was a list of common stuff that are vegan in grocery stores, I live in a town of 4500 people.. not too much here. I'm not vegan yet.. been a vegetarian for half year or so, I'm trying to be more and more vegan.., thanks. And also are any major health care products vegan? Like shampoo/conditioner, soap, deoderant, cologne, etc., if so, which?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-05-2005, 03:11 PM

Hi! Welcome to VB!

Produce

Rice

other whole grains

Many dry and hot cereals (but check the ingredients)

Pastas (see above)

Nuts and legumes

Peanut butter

Tofu, maybe? (many mainstream markets carry tofu now)

That's all I can think of for the moment that you'd find in a market in a smallish town.

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 12-05-2005, 03:14 PM

Hi Kalit,

Check out this link http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/

Hugh selection of everyday grocery items that happen to be vegan
#4 Old 12-05-2005, 03:30 PM

http://www.peta2.com/STUFF/s-recipe.asp

that has pretty much everything
#5 Old 12-06-2005, 01:26 PM

Awesome, thanks for the links!
#6 Old 12-06-2005, 01:33 PM

A cautionary note- I have heard reports that PETA's Accidentally Vegan list is not entirely accurate, so you may still want to double-check those labels. And possibly start compiling your own list of foods you feel confident about.

And BTW, welcome to VB!
#7 Old 12-06-2005, 03:07 PM

I find a lot of stuff is usually okay. Sometimes generic/store brands are vegan when the national brand isn't. So you might want to check different brands when at the store.

I know most of tom's of maine's stuff is vegan. i don't know about shampoo or stuff like that at a reg. small store. i buy my face, hair, body stuff at trader joes. the closest one is a bit away so i usually stock up if i'm ever around there.
#8 Old 12-06-2005, 04:22 PM

Alberto Culver products (tresseme, VO5, and St.Ives too I think) aren't tested on animals and many are vegan. If you try to eat more simple whole foods you shouldn't have any trouble with a vegan diet in a small town. Whole grains, beans, nuts, fruits and veggies are excellent staples and are available everywhere very inexpensively.
#9 Old 12-06-2005, 06:07 PM

When it comes to junk food...well I'm a junkie. I love peanut butter toast, fritos, chips with salsa, and vegan cookies. I don't reccommend adding these things to your diet daily, but they make excellent snacks!

Also a recipe I tried lastnight:

Rice with fresh lemon squeezed on top, mixed with brocolli and mushrooms.

Add whatever else you're in the mood for... I had a big salad with it and some bread. I know, I'm such a fatty. Kidding!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page