Quaker Oatmeal- Is It Vegan? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-16-2005, 10:30 PM

And if so, is that the regular or all of the flavors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-16-2005, 10:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Regular is vegan of course! And many of the flavors are such as Apples n Cinnamon. Just check the labels.
#3 Old 10-16-2005, 10:44 PM

Usually the "n' cream" varieties contain some milk derivatives. (someone can correct me if I am wrong). Regualar should be just plain oats which is of course vegan. Other than that you'll have to read the ingredients and post the ones you don't understand here.

#4 Old 10-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, the ones that say "n cream" are not vegan. But, most of the varieties are. Also, McMann's Irish oatmeal has awesome flavors such as Maple n Brown Sugar. I personally would rather cook oats from the big carton, but sometimes adding a flavored packet in with it adds a nice flavor to it.
#5 Old 10-17-2005, 04:53 PM

Quaker's Maple and Brown Sugar isn't vegan.

Quite a few of them have skim milk powder added to them, without being called a "cream" variety.
#6 Old 10-17-2005, 05:08 PM

Mmmm I live off the plain kind. Just chop up some apple, throw in some raisins & a scoop of almond butter (pour soymilk over it if you like) and eat it raw. It's much better than the pre-flavored packages I guarantee!

One other thing, in case it matters, if you get the generic "cheap" tub of oats (not Quaker) it usually comes in a recycled cardboard container. Tastes just as good.
#7 Old 10-17-2005, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

if you mean the dairy ingredient that used to be in it, the last time i checked it was no longer there.
#8 Old 10-18-2005, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynaffit View Post

if you mean the dairy ingredient that used to be in it, the last time i checked it was no longer there.

There were no dairy ingredients listed on the box the last time I checked. It's my favorite flavor so I've read and re-read the ingredients plenty of times just to be sure, lol.

#9 Old 10-18-2005, 10:16 AM

They must have changed it back, or maybe it's different in Canada. It was considered "new" a year ago that the oatmeal was "creamier."
#10 Old 10-18-2005, 10:41 AM

while we're on the subject: i found this really awesome quick oatmeal, it's "Raisins, Dates & Walnuts" and the Stop&Shop brand, so it's cheap, here is the list of ingredients:

Whole grain rolled oats (with oat bran), sugar, raisins, chipped dates, walnuts with bht added to pretect flavor, salt, calcium carbonate (a source of calcium), guar gum, cinnamon, vitamin A lamitate, niacinamide, reduced iron, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflvavin, thiamin mononitrate, folic acid.

Now, i understand that it's a lot of chemicals, but it says that most of them are B vitamins .... so i was wondering if any of them are non-vegan, or non-vegetarian.

thanks if advance
#11 Old 10-18-2005, 11:02 AM

Go to Henry's Market or any HFS, and buy the oats by pound. Its fresher and healthier that way. You wont be getting the added junk in as you would find in Quaker Oats.

I like to use plain oats with soymilk.. i add brown turbinado sugar and cinnamon for sweetness flavor.
#12 Old 10-18-2005, 01:27 PM

Along with the difference between countries, there's often a difference in package variations. I was going to pick up some at a local convenience store and there was milk in the container (a little, microwavable dealie). When I went to buy the same product in the box version (with the envelopes), it was vegan.

They gotta keep us on our toes, eh?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#13 Old 10-18-2005, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post

while we're on the subject: i found this really awesome quick oatmeal, it's "Raisins, Dates & Walnuts" and the Stop&Shop brand, so it's cheap, here is the list of ingredients:

Whole grain rolled oats (with oat bran), sugar, raisins, chipped dates, walnuts with bht added to pretect flavor, salt, calcium carbonate (a source of calcium), guar gum, cinnamon, vitamin A lamitate, niacinamide, reduced iron, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflvavin, thiamin mononitrate, folic acid.

Now, i understand that it's a lot of chemicals, but it says that most of them are B vitamins .... so i was wondering if any of them are non-vegan, or non-vegetarian.

thanks if advance

At first glance it sounded pretty awesome! But check out what I found regarding BHT:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BHT

"Serious concerns have been raised about the use of BHT in food products. BHT is a suspected mutagen and carcinogen. There have been cases in which some individuals have had difficulty metabolizing BHT, resulting in health and behavior changes.

"BHT has been banned for use in food in the United Kingdom, Japan (1958), Romania, Sweden, and Australia. The US has barred it from being used in infant foods. However some food industries have eliminated it from their products including McDonald's as of 1986."

Sorta spooky. Maybe I'll just stick with the do-it-yourself method.
#14 Old 10-19-2005, 11:17 PM

DeflatorMouse

WOW that's a terrible thing to add to food

sucks ..... thanks so much for the info
#15 Old 10-19-2005, 11:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

Quite a few of them have skim milk powder added to them, without being called a "cream" variety.

I was talking about the Irish oatmeal, not Quakers.
#16 Old 10-20-2005, 12:38 AM

Yeah, BHT is in all kinds of foods here in North America, as well as lots of packaging. Odds are, if you have dry cereal in your cupboard, it has BHT added to its plastic liner and/or box.

As a rule, I avoid anything with BHT and hydrogenated or partially-hydrogenated fats or fatty acids, among other things.
#17 Old 10-20-2005, 05:13 AM

Several months ago, I discovered that the two local HF stores I shop sell organic oats for $.99 a pound. Before that, I would buy the Kroger brand when they would put it on sale for $1 for the one pound (18 oz.?) canister. Occasionally, they'll put the Quaker 18 oz. canisters on sale for $1. This week, the Quaker is on sale for $1 and I had a couple of $.25 coupons that doubled to $.50 so I got two canisters for $1. Yesterday afternoon it didn't look as though I'd be getting to a HFS any time soon, and the practical financial part of my mind decided that that would work for now.I don't know what the regular price of the Quaker is, but I figure at $.50 for each canister, both Kroger and Quaker lost money on me.

I also like it plain with some fruit and brown sugar. I usually use water, but I realized I could help my protein count by using milk. Duh. Since I've started using the plain oats instead of instant, the instant oatmeal just seems to frivilous and silly. (Though I took some along on a vacation because it travels easier.)

That BHT stuff? I'm not sure if I've heard of it. I wonder if it's in the plastic bag I use at the HFS for my oats. Yesterday, I kept one of the Quaker contaiers (after putting them in my plastic Tupperware Cereal Keeper) because I realized that it seemed too nice to throw away. (Yeah, I reuse stuff.) I'll try taking it to the HFS for the next time I buy oats instead of using the bag. Maybe I shouldn't have cut up the other one.

Thanks for the info....
#18 Old 10-22-2005, 12:28 AM

I bought regular Quaker Oats, and I'm going to mix them with water and add my own cinn and apples.
#19 Old 10-22-2005, 12:31 AM

try raisins and walnuts too
#20 Old 10-22-2005, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountessKerouac View Post

I was talking about the Irish oatmeal, not Quakers.

I know, that's why I specified Quaker's.
#21 Old 10-22-2005, 08:50 AM

i like buying the plain, slow-cooking kind.. i prefer the texture.
#22 Old 04-19-2007, 10:10 AM

Actually, I contacted the Quaker people and asked about the "natural ingredients" on the package, and they said they didn't know. I avoided eating it until this morning when they called and said that their Maple and Brown Sugar Variety is completely void of animal products.

I told them it was for religious reasons.
#23 Old 04-19-2007, 04:14 PM

Wow, that DHT stuff is scary. I figure anything that even McDonald's won't put in their food is something to steer clear of!!!!!!!!!!
#24 Old 04-20-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newveggirl82 View Post

Wow, that DHT stuff is scary. I figure anything that even McDonald's won't put in their food is something to steer clear of!!!!!!!!!!

Are you in the right thread?
#25 Old 04-24-2007, 08:40 AM

I usually eat steel-cut oats, because they are less processed than rolled.
#26 Old 06-19-2008, 03:56 PM

When I quit eating pork years ago I noticed a psychic scent to it, which smelled kind of like it was rotting. Although, I admit that I've also noticed a similar scent after taking a break from eating cinnamon.

Now I don't eat any animal products and I also don't eat any plant products that form a vital part of the plant (e.g. stump, roots). I quit eating quaker instant oatmeal for a few months, but when I decided to go back to eating it for its nutrient content I noticed the similar rotting smell.

I think that most animals, and some plants or plant material, have certain parasites that exist in the astral plane. I definately smell the rotting-like smell in the apple and cinnamon brand of quaker instant oatmeal, but it seems to be more faint in the maple and brown sugar brand (maybe it is because they are manufactured in the same factory).
#27 Old 06-20-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu_Joni View Post

I think that most animals, and some plants or plant material, have certain parasites that exist in the astral plane. I definately smell the rotting-like smell in the apple and cinnamon brand of quaker instant oatmeal, but it seems to be more faint in the maple and brown sugar brand (maybe it is because they are manufactured in the same factory).

Dude! I thought it was just me!
#28 Old 06-20-2008, 01:15 PM

I think the Simple Harvest almond and honey flavor is actually vegan.

Ingredients:WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS, WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED WHEAT, ROLLED BARLEY, WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED RYE, SUGAR, ALMONDS, WHOLE FLAXSEED, OAT FLOUR, NATURAL FLAVORS, SALT, MOLASSES

Other than that, I know the rest of the Simple Harvest varieties are vegan.
#29 Old 06-20-2008, 03:31 PM

Hm..what's in those "natural flavors", I'd wonder.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#30 Old 06-20-2008, 04:13 PM

I'm researching for a paper and saw this about BHA right after reading this thread..

From SustainableTable.com

"...And after years of use, a flavoring called Safrole that was used in root beer, and a common preservative called BHA were also found to cause cancer.xxiv"

Quoted from

Raloff, Janet. “Carcinogens in the Diet.” Science News Online, 19 February, 2005

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page