Fancy Molasses? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-25-2005, 09:53 PM
Beginner

So I've read about how good blackstrap molasses is supposed to be for iron and calcium, but my parents insist that fancy molasses is the same thing. It's more heavily refined, though, and there's no nutritional info on any molasses cartons I can find... so I'm not sure. Does anybody know what the difference is? Thanks, and I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Beginner

Hi Kate and welcome!!

I have no idea about the molasses thing... and don't apologise - there's rarely ever a genuinely "stupid" question....

I mainly wanted to say I LOVE your siggy quote!! I use that quote on another (non-veggie) board I frequent - no one ever "gets" it....
#3 Old 07-25-2005, 10:51 PM
Beginner

As far as I know, it has to be blackstrap molasses. Mine has 20% of the RDA for iron, whereas the lighter type usually has around 5%. I suppose it's possible for other types to be fortified, but I honestly don't think that happens.
#4 Old 07-25-2005, 11:20 PM
Beginner

fancy molasses is definitely different and not very good for iron or calcium.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/Molassas.htm
#5 Old 07-26-2005, 12:16 PM
Beginner

Thanks everyone. I'll be getting some blackstrap next time I go shopping.
#6 Old 07-27-2005, 01:38 PM
Beginner

Hello! New veggie here. I was wondering what do you all do with the blackstrap? I got some and I've been experimenting, because I am iron deficient and I'm trying to avoid having to take prescription iron pills again (and this is definitely NOT related to not eating meat, since I have just stopped that and even when I was a full-on meat eater, I still had the deficiency). It's so strong, I am having trouble using it as I would normally use a sweetener, but if I just use a drop, then I'm not getting any of the nutritional value.

What is a normal serving size, 1 Tb? I want to start taking it daily, but I can't see just swallowing a serving of it plain. Actually, maybe I will, since I can't seem to enjoy the taste when I try to mix it into something, as it is so overpowering
#7 Old 07-27-2005, 03:03 PM
Beginner

bearsy - I don't know much about blackstrap, but there is another thread on this, just try searching blackstrap and you should find it.
#8 Old 07-27-2005, 03:36 PM
Banned

I haven't done this in a while, but I used to have blackstrap molasses on toast as a pre-workout snack. These days marmite on toast with tea as a pre-study snack is more common.
#9 Old 07-28-2005, 09:54 AM
Beginner

Bearsy: try it in some bran muffins. You're not getting quite as much per muffin, but they taste good and depending on how much you add you can get a fair bit of iron, since a serving is only a tablespoon.
#10 Old 07-28-2005, 10:00 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

I haven't done this in a while, but I used to have blackstrap molasses on toast as a pre-workout snack. These days marmite on toast with tea as a pre-study snack is more common.

A tip for those unfamiliar with marmite: spread it on your toast really really really thick.
#11 Old 07-28-2005, 10:28 AM
Beginner

here's a turkish tip...

mix half tahini and half blackstrap... makes a nice nutella-like spread,and more iron and calcium than you can shake a stick at... good for breaky on toast with some flaxseed (ground) and jam
#12 Old 07-28-2005, 12:19 PM
Banned

Molasses Is Made From The Heart Of A Kitten Do Not Eat Molasses Or You Are Killing Kittens
#13 Old 07-28-2005, 12:26 PM
Beginner

I usually mix a tablespoon in with oatmeal or some other cereal.If you have vanilla soymilk with it it's not as overpowering of a taste.
#14 Old 07-28-2005, 01:04 PM
Banned

Totally
#15 Old 07-28-2005, 01:25 PM
Beginner

Blackstrap molasses is something of an acquired taste, IMO. I use it pretty much wherever a recipe calls for molasses. You can use it when baking muffins, preparing baked beans and in hot cereal (I cut the bitterness in cereal with vanilla soy or rice milk too). I started out using fairly small amounts, and I really like it now.

I'm going to have to try that tahini/molasses idea. Sounds pretty yummy.
#16 Old 07-29-2005, 03:54 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianSKA View Post

here's a turkish tip...

mix half tahini and half blackstrap... makes a nice nutella-like spread,and more iron and calcium than you can shake a stick at... good for breaky on toast with some flaxseed (ground) and jam

Sounds good. I love both tahini and molasses, but never thought of mixing them together.

What I do like to do is to pour some blackstrap molasses on peanut butter toast (using all natural pb and whole wheat bread).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page