Easy things to substitute in for burgers? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-08-2017, 06:41 PM

Question Easy things to substitute in for burgers?

I'm only a teen so I really can't go out and get much vegetarian food for myself so I was wondering if there were any easy ways to make a vegetarian burger; my step-dad makes burgers constantly and he'll probably get mad when I tell him I'm vegetarian so I want to make sure I have a recipe that I can prepare and he can cook so he won't get so mad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-09-2017, 10:05 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowkid View Post
I'm only a teen so I really can't go out and get much vegetarian food for myself so I was wondering if there were any easy ways to make a vegetarian burger; my step-dad makes burgers constantly and he'll probably get mad when I tell him I'm vegetarian so I want to make sure I have a recipe that I can prepare and he can cook so he won't get so mad.

Hi crowkid,

Vegetarian burger patties are pretty cheap now. Your stepdad might not mind buying them for you. They are full of protein, whhich should make your family happy.

Even Costco has its own "Kirkland" brand of vegetarian burger patties:

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#3 Old 09-10-2017, 12:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Crowkid, I agree with David3 above, it's so easy to simply buy a frozen soy/wheat based burger these days, it'd probably be more complicated (if you don't have supportive parents) to request all the ingredients to make a homemade burger. That said, making your own food, is a great thing to do if you're motivated to try it. The ingredients for a basic veggie burger are usually beans, vegetables (onions, peppers that kind of thing) and a filler like oats or breadcrumbs, plus plenty of spices to season. Look up recipes for 'black bean burgers' and you won't go far wrong.

#4 Old 09-10-2017, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Lentils burgers at home tend to be a taste winner. But suprmarket bought vegan burgers can also be decent although the quality varies. If you don't like the fist one, try another one. Good luck!
#5 Old 09-11-2017, 02:12 PM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

Some of them aren't easy, nor quick, especially if you're not really into the whole food prep/cooking scene, but they're quite yummy and worth learning how to make if your family is open to letting you. If so, I bet they'll end up being pretty impressed with your tasty creations.

http://www.theflamingvegan.com/view-...Burger-Recipes

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and a fool." ~Plato
#6 Old 09-15-2017, 11:43 AM

Homemade veggie burgers take some skill and patience to get the texture right. I would stick with the variety of frozen ones available -- there are a lot. There's also a Boca chicken patty that is great for burgers.

Anything that can go on a sammich can go between burger buns such as Tofurky slices (usually in the refrigerator section of a well-stocked supermarket), or pile on hummus with veggies.

Or make a chickpea "tuna" salad to spread on the buns -- many recipes for this online. I am not able to post links yet, sry.

Like Jamie said, half the fun is trying new things, and if you don't like one, try sumthin' different!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page