Transitioning Back - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-06-2017, 09:57 AM

Transitioning Back

Hey Veggie Board! I am looking for some advice. Back in 2008-2009, I went full lacto-ovo vegetarian. Since then, I have not eaten any land animals, but about 2ish years ago I started eating seafood again. I honestly can't really remember why - I always loved seafood, and I ate a lot of pasta, so I think I was trying to be healthier.

I'm a much healthier person now - I exercise and eat a much healthier diet, and I want to stop eating fish again. I've been doing a lot of research on the plant based lifestyle, and it makes a lot of sense to me from a lot of viewpoints - health, sustainability and obviously for the animals. I've been relying on fish for convenience and that's not a good reason. I do enjoy shrimp, scallops, salmon or crab on occasion. My family has gotten use to me eating seafood (I live alone, but we go out to eat together frequently) and I live near the ocean and we have a lot of seafood restaurants.

I am just looking for advice on how to go back. I know you will all say just do it, but just looking for some tips.

One thing I'm also thinking about is giving up most of my dairy and egg consumption. I honesty don't eat a lot of it now (but I enjoy Halo Top and eat them in things or when we go out). I already use almond milk at home, don't really keep cheese at home. I'm not ready or interested in going fully vegan/ plant based now, but I don't want to rely on them and be a vegetarian that survives on cheese Any help or guidance from any of you would be extra helpful

Last edited by caryn; 09-06-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-06-2017, 10:56 AM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

What helped me the most was realizing seafood swims in it's own toilet..a toilet that us humans work hard at polluting, as well...and living in a heavy animal agriculture area where I'm within ear shot of a dairy farm (that I've visited, among others) was enough to convince me those happenings and those energetic vibes aren't good for consumption, period, as well as not ever observing other species continuing to drink milk into their later stages of growth and existence once they've been weaned.

The eggs I used to eat were usually scrambled and loaded with cheeses, etc., so that was an easier one to give up. Tofu scrambles and chickpea "egg" salad are great replacements.

Overall, reading and viewing many things about the behind the scenes details about every single thing that used to land on my dinner plate, as well as directly talking to and working with folks who had healed many things via their plant-based forks, and remaining very mindful of mucus forming foods, heart health, inflammation, digestive disorders, and countless other topics of chronic health issues opened my eyes to more than I ever wanted to know about all of my favorite things, namely meat, dairy, gluten, caffeine, alcohol, and eggs. I was almost bed ridden for quite some time, so I had lots of time on my hands to dive deeper.

Many humans are conditioned to be hard core addicts to certain substances from birth and will work hard to avoid information as long as it keeps us in our perceived comfort zones. At least that's how it worked for me. I hate to say it took a medical emergency to get me to change my consumption habits, but it did. I wish I'd thought about the animals long before that point, but glad something finally opened my eyes and heart. My greatly improved health, both physically and mentally, remains my greatest motivation to stick with it.

I rarely eat out anymore unless it's a trusted place that I know for sure uses quality ingredients. Many places use the cheapest lowest quality stuff so they can afford to stay open. For the times I do go to other places, I do salads and request extra veggies if they have them available, or do the veggie side orders. I take my own dressings, too. I used to be concerned about what others thought until I got a taste of how my choices improved my health. I can no longer afford to let their opinions carry more value than my well-being. Best wishes in your journey!

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and a fool." ~Plato
#3 Old 09-06-2017, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

If you are cutting out seafood and fish, consider adding ground flax or chia seeds to food as a source of Omega 3.

#4 Old 09-06-2017, 06:52 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryn View Post
Hey Veggie Board! I am looking for some advice. Back in 2008-2009, I went full lacto-ovo vegetarian. Since then, I have not eaten any land animals, but about 2ish years ago I started eating seafood again. I honestly can't really remember why - I always loved seafood, and I ate a lot of pasta, so I think I was trying to be healthier.

I'm a much healthier person now - I exercise and eat a much healthier diet, and I want to stop eating fish again. I've been doing a lot of research on the plant based lifestyle, and it makes a lot of sense to me from a lot of viewpoints - health, sustainability and obviously for the animals. I've been relying on fish for convenience and that's not a good reason. I do enjoy shrimp, scallops, salmon or crab on occasion. My family has gotten use to me eating seafood (I live alone, but we go out to eat together frequently) and I live near the ocean and we have a lot of seafood restaurants.

I am just looking for advice on how to go back. I know you will all say just do it, but just looking for some tips.

One thing I'm also thinking about is giving up most of my dairy and egg consumption. I honesty don't eat a lot of it now (but I enjoy Halo Top and eat them in things or when we go out). I already use almond milk at home, don't really keep cheese at home. I'm not ready or interested in going fully vegan/ plant based now, but I don't want to rely on them and be a vegetarian that survives on cheese Any help or guidance from any of you would be extra helpful

Hi Caryn,

Do you have already have a repertoire of vegetarian dishes that you enjoy? Are you more in need of motivation to return to a vegetarian diet?

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#5 Old 09-06-2017, 08:59 PM

I guess my main thing is a fear of missing out so to speak when it comes to time with family. I'm not a bean person at all, but I like most other plant based foods. I eat tons of fruit and veggies, I love grains, potatoes, tempeh...etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page