Meat Eaters - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By kyr656
  • 1 Post By cassafrass

#1 Old 08-03-2017, 01:58 PM

Meat Eaters

I recently decided to transition to a vegetarian lifestyle. 4 days without meat! Yay couldn't be happier! I have told my close family and some close coworkers. Family was somewhat supportive but make a few jokes. I can take it! But every single one of my coworkers said "how are you getting your protein?" Just had to share this part of my journey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-03-2017, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Congrats! The hardest part about being veg to me was not the diet/lifestyle itself- it was the people who ask silly questions, make uniformed statements, and make jokes that go too far. I can take a joke, but I will not stand around and be insulted for my beliefs and dietary choices- nobody deserves to be treated like that. I found it really helpful to educate myself on the popular subjects people ask questions or joke about- sources of protein, iron, calcium, the whole "plants feel pain" argument that doesn't even make sense (what do people think cows, pigs and chickens eat?)... If you know your stuff, it's easy to shut those questions down.

Keep it up! The initial transition is tough, but definitely worth it!
#3 Old 08-03-2017, 03:49 PM
Impeach the psychopath

Virtually every food, including fruits, veggies, grains, etc., has protein. Your co-workers are victims of propaganda, spun by the Cattlemen's Association. They've been mentally trained into believing that only blood-food can supply protein. Your co-workers are being manipulated. You might tell them so.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"The fact is, none of us truly win, until we all win."

#4 Old 08-06-2017, 08:01 PM

I try to put it this way when people bring up that point/concern: Most of the animals we eat in America are herbivores and get their protein from plants. By that logic, what protein we do get when we eat animals is the leftover plant protein. I also point out that one does not typically see cows eating other cows.
Purp likes this.

“He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.”
#5 Old 08-07-2017, 04:15 PM

Just don't go too crazy now. It is in fact possible to be low in protein on an improperly planned vegan diet. You should make an effort to eat a specifically high vegan protein meal 1-2 times a day. And yes fruit and veg does in fact have protein. But at very low density per weight.

Last edited by Iridium; 08-07-2017 at 04:15 PM. Reason: error
#6 Old 08-08-2017, 09:46 AM
Emma JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridium View Post
Just don't go too crazy now. It is in fact possible to be low in protein on an improperly planned vegan diet. You should make an effort to eat a specifically high vegan protein meal 1-2 times a day. And yes fruit and veg does in fact have protein. But at very low density per weight.
As the others have laid out, a vegan diet does not consist of just fruits and veg and so protein deficiency should not be an issue if you are eating a balanced diet that includes whole grains, potatoes, rice, greens, fruits, nuts, seeds, beans, legumes etc.

A good balance of fats/proteins/carbs varies dependent on health status and if you are trying to lose weight or gain weight but in general:

fats (not oils) 10% - 15%
proteins 10% - 15%
carbohydrates 70% - 80%

Fibre intake is more important to be concerned about as Dr Greger lays out in this video... https://nutritionfacts.org/video/do-...nough-protein/

Emma JC

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based
for the animals, for the environment and for health (plus it's delicious)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Find a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page