How much protein? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 2 Post By jessandreia

#1 Old 07-23-2017, 05:55 PM

How much protein?

I'm new to being vegan. I absolutely know that you don't need meat or any other animal based food to get it. I'm just curious how much protein you actually need? There is so much mixed information out there about it. I work out everyday...not hard core, but 30 minutes of weights or cardio everyday, when looking it up on line that could vary from needing 30 grams to 140 grams...or more everyday.

For those that have been following a vegan lifestyle for years, with maybe a moderate workout schedule, what do you find you need? Oh, I'm not afraid of fat or carbs. I do am doing a 30/30/40 at the moment. Fat/protein/carbs.

Just a side note...I'm coming off off of being a dairy free keto diet. Once I learned I couldn't do eggs...I decided to go vegan. After lots of research on our digestive system, arteries, animal farms...etc. you all know what I'm taking about.

Last edited by Troopwife1; 07-23-2017 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Grammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-23-2017, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

I easily get between 50 and 60 a day. Haven't tracked my diet in some time so unsure about the percentages of others.
Have you tried Silks Protein Nut Milk?
https://silk.com/products/protein-nutmilk
Soy free, 10 grams protein and only 2 grams sugar. verytasty

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 07-23-2017, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I find that I feel I have more energy and feel more focused when I have at least around 70 grams a day, give or take.

I just very recently started using myfitnesspal, and yesterday just between lunch and dinner, I had close to 60 grams. The day before, I had close to 90 grams for the day. Wasn't trying to get that much; it was just from foods I felt like eating that day.

Personally, I think that 30-40 grams a day (for an adult) is too low. Sure we don`t need the high amounts of protein some meat-eaters think we do, but let`s not run to the other extreme either, which some vegans do. But that`s just my opinion.
BlueMts and Mr. H. like this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#4 Old 07-24-2017, 11:57 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troopwife1 View Post
I'm new to being vegan. I absolutely know that you don't need meat or any other animal based food to get it. I'm just curious how much protein you actually need? There is so much mixed information out there about it. I work out everyday...not hard core, but 30 minutes of weights or cardio everyday, when looking it up on line that could vary from needing 30 grams to 140 grams...or more everyday.

For those that have been following a vegan lifestyle for years, with maybe a moderate workout schedule, what do you find you need? Oh, I'm not afraid of fat or carbs. I do am doing a 30/30/40 at the moment. Fat/protein/carbs.

Hi Troopwife1,

Mainstream nutrition and fitness organizations, and mainstream vegetarian organizations, recommend that people get about 10% to 35% of their calories from protein.

The United States Food and Nutrition Board (the group that established the RDI nutrient values for food labels) recommends that people get 10% to 35% of calories from protein: http://www.nationalacademies.org/hmd...ino-Acids.aspx

The American Council on Exercise (one of the largest certification organizations for personal trainers) recommends that people get 15% to 35% of calories from protein: https://www.acefitness.org/blog/5297...-actually-need

The United Nations' World Health Organization recommends that people get at least 0.83 grams of protein per kg of healthy body weight (see page 243 of this exhaustively detailed report): http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/1...RS_935_eng.pdf

The Vegetarian Resource Group recommends that people get 0.8 grams of protein per kg of healthy body weight: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php

The Vegan Society recommends that people get 0.75 grams of protein per kg of healthy body weight: https://www.vegansociety.com/sites/d.../Protein_0.pdf

Vegan Outreach has a very detailed webpage about protein, with citations of several peer-reviewed studies. These studies recommend protein intake of 0.75g to 1.34g per kg of body weight: http://veganhealth.org/articles/protein

Other individuals and groups have offered protein recommendations that lie outside this range, but these recommendations don't appear to be supported by peer-reviewed studies.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 07-24-2017 at 12:00 PM.
#5 Old 07-24-2017, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

According to the Becoming Vegan book adults should get 0.9 g/kg/day where kg refers to your body weight.

No-one seems to know what amount of protein is the most healthy. Around 10-30% of calories from protein is a good target since most reccomendations fall in that range. If you feel weak or do more sports, avoid 10% and go a bit higher. In your case, perhaps say 15%-30%. Although 30 minutes of non-intensive exercise a day is nothing radical, just a normal and sensible amount, perhaps not enough to really need to shift up your protein that much? You need to trust what your body is telling you; that being said don't just assume low energy means low protein, it may mean low calaories (i.e. low total food amount) or low something else, even something not related to food.

Speaking personally, I make sure my diet has at least some legumes and occassionally focus on higher % protein vegetables, but I don't do any day to day or week to week planning. Sometimes I do moderate amounts of exercise, like a 10k run or 15k cycle or 20k mountain walk being about typical. I go for a 10k run on a piece of fruit and I'm fine, when I go on my mountain walks I typically eat bread, tomato, fruit, nuts and sometimes some crisps/biscuits which won't give me a huge % protein. For me at least, just eating enough is what counts.

Does 30/30/40 mean 30% of calories (rather than 30% of grams or something else)? It may be that you are on thiei high side, not that this would be bad, but it would mean, you could probably try cutting it if you wanted to and still see if you feel just as good.

Last edited by Jamie in Chile; 07-24-2017 at 05:55 PM.
#6 Old 07-25-2017, 03:54 PM

the 30/30/40 diet is great for athletes but I think both athletes and non-athletic vegans are best off following the 20/20/60 rule of thumb.
#7 Old 07-25-2017, 10:10 PM

Peanut butter is your friend. A spoonful a day is good for you.

Almonds are great.

Iron pills are a good idea to make up for the lack of iron in your diet!!!!!

Avocados provide a lot of what you need.

LENTILS CONTAIN EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO THRIVE. NO JOKE. THIS IS SCIENCE.
#8 Old 07-26-2017, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

Please NO ONE should supplement iron without knowing a known deficiency!
Too much iron is dangerous and mimics many other symptoms- including low iron

I raised my iron level from a low omni to midrange iron vegan by just using a cast iron skillet and making a point to avoid caffeine with iron meals, and include vitamin c foods with iron meals

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page