I'm finally going veg! - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr. H.

#1 Old 07-15-2017, 12:23 AM

Smile I'm finally going veg!

I've been thinking about going vegetarian for about a year and I'm ready to commit.

If anyone else is going veg at the same time, or has some advice I'd love to have a support network.

My main motivation for becoming a vegetarian is ethical. I love food and I'm excited to develop my repertoire of veggie recipes.

My main concerns are:
  • Having my choice be a burden on family and friends. I know that I will be supported in my decision, however I also anticipate that it will be tough and awkward at first, and may take some time for my friends and family to accept.
  • Staying healthy and getting enough of all the right vitamins and minerals

I recently had a trial run for three weeks while travelling in India, and will be thowing a dinner party for my close friends to share with them some of the amazing recipes (all veg) from my travels!

If you would like to keep in touch for some support, or just have some advice please write back!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-15-2017, 12:48 AM
person

Just saying hello and welcome you will find lots of support and advice here.

I think the dinner party with the Indian food is a great way to introduce your friends to your new life style.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk
#3 Old 07-15-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell View Post
I've been thinking about going vegetarian for about a year and I'm ready to commit.

If anyone else is going veg at the same time, or has some advice I'd love to have a support network.

If I was going vegan for the first time I would go do the PCRM's 21 -Day Vegan Kickstart.
http://www.pcrm.org/kickstartHome

Its a good plan and they have their own KickStart forum. And an App. If you wait to the first of the month, they have a forum of all the people who started on the first too.
Emma JC likes this.

#4 Old 07-15-2017, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds like you are doing great. On the nutrition side, I wrote a short summary of key points on my own blog. https://whytryveg.wordpress.com/2017...gan-nutrition/
For more detail, you can see the articles at http://www.veganhealth.org/

They are both vegan rather than vegetarian, but following this advice is probably mostly appropriate for vegetarians since there is a lot of overlap in the diets. Iodine and calcium are less concerning if you are eating dairy I think. Vegetarian diet is even easier really.
#5 Old 07-17-2017, 12:57 AM

Thanks everyone!

I read your article Jamie, really useful thanks.

Definitely feeling a bit nervous about telling people!
#6 Old 08-03-2017, 04:24 AM

I haven't been vegetarian for long, so I was in your position not long ago.

In terms of your first point, I was worried about my parents since I still live at home. However, my family have been supportive and are very accommodating to me with meals. I have also cooked them veggie burgers, which I think was a great way for them to experience the food and understand how I eat. So, I think your dinner party sounds like a good idea! I think eating veg is fairly easy for people to adjust to, or at least that has been my experience. When we go out I just select the veggie option, or at home swap the meat for quorn. Except when we went to France and there was literally only starters for me to eat some of the time, haha.

I use cronometer (Google it and you can find the website) to track my food intake. I get my daily protein really easily and use yeast flakes to get vitamins like B12. I am still not perfect when it comes to hitting targets, but websites like this can really help.

Good luck!
#7 Old 08-03-2017, 07:21 PM

Hi, shell!
Do wish you a good start!!!

It's a pity I did not know about PCRM's 21 -Day Vegan Kickstart on my start, seems to be really helpful. But I had a better helper - my elder sister who is a vegetarian vet)

The ones who love you will always support you!
#8 Old 08-30-2017, 04:51 AM

I also love veg but I need non veg dish at least twice in a month. That helps me to continue with non veg.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page