looking for fast meals - not recipes - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By imtorf
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By David3

#1 Old 07-12-2017, 07:27 AM

Question looking for fast meals - not recipes

I've been 80-90% vegetarian for 3 months now and I want to be 100% by end of year. I'll need a staple of quick things to throw together if I am going to make it. Pinterest and websites all have 'recipes' and I don't need anything ground shattering - just clever ideas from you nice people.

For example, here are a few I've learned so far:
- Avocado: just cut in half and eat out of the shell - great emergency food
- Kiefer: chug 8 oz every morning to feel full
- Almonds: keep them in my desk drawer

What are your go to meals? I love rice bowls but all the 'recipes' seem so complicated. If I make rice early in the week how would you use it?

If I can always have something easy and healthy then I can stay on track. I've lost 40 pounds since January and dropped my HDL by 20% by going vegetarian. I need to make it sustainable.

And cooking 12 ingredient recipes is just not realistic

Thanks!

Mashugana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-12-2017, 09:45 AM

I generally have a meal prep day and keep a collection of "ingredients" that last through the week.

for a grain/pasta bowl week: I'll make up a large batch of a grain (like brown rice, farro wheat, quinoa) or pasta, steam up some veggies (broccoli, or cauliflower, snap or regular peas, zucchini/squash), a dressing of some type. maybe I'll even get wild and add some mixed nuts & or dried fruit in the bowl. I keep the ingredients separate & put together before work.

Salad Jars: (you can pinterest this) but salad jars keep very well if prepped on a Sunday for the work week. As long as the dressing keeps at the bottom on the jar, the rest of the salad won't wilt.

Wraps: slice up your favorite veggies on a Sunday, wash greens & put in salad keeper. The individual hummus servings save a lot of time (although I feel bad about all the packaging). You can also prep the veggies/hummus/greens in your favorite lunch container. Put together with a wrap/pita while at work.

Hope some of these ideas help.
#3 Old 07-12-2017, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Rice and most grains can be refrigerated up to a week. They also can frozen.
I always have frozen broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, peas and corn. I never microwave them, but let them thaw a bit and heat with the rest of meal. I'll throw broccoli peas or cauliflower with precooked grains, some curry powder or garlic powder, and top with peanuts or slivered almonds for a work lunch
You can thin peanut butter with water and spice up with sriracha, or other hot sauce, or curry powder for a quick sauce

Fat free refried beans, canned beans, canned tomatoes, tortilla wraps, taco shells, bagged salad mix, onions, peppers are all staples and can be put together in wrap sandwiches. Spread taco shells with refried beans, add beans and lettuce.
Can of diced tomatoes and chilis (think rotel) or just diced tomatoes, and a can of beans added to sauteed celery and onion and pepper- chili

hummus is good for dipping anything as well as sandwiches.
Vegan mayo- like Just Mayo which is cheapest at Target and walmart is a great addition for anything that needs added flavor and for making it taste a bit less "healthy". Sprinkle garlic powder and nooch over mayo you have a cheesy like spread.

Pasta-- add whatever dry pasta in a pot. Cover with cold water enough to just cover pasta. Turn on heat. set timer for 10 minutes, stir occasionally. After 10 check and add time till done. Turn off heat and add frozen veggies. Drain some water, leaving the bottom covered with water and add a good amount of nutritional yeast, some garlic, a dollop of mayo.

Mash chickpeas with vegan mayo (or salad dressing) and add whatever you'd add to tuna, egg or chicken salad. I like to add pickle relish and onions. Sometimes I'll add a bit of curry powder and minced onions instead

Beans on toast are a very good breakfast. Bushes steakhouse baked beans are vegan and my favorite canned baked beans. You really have to check baked bean s labels carefully for things like beef fat or bacon. or natural flavors, but for some reason I find the steakhouse ones are-I emailed Bush.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

#4 Old 07-12-2017, 12:10 PM

Awesome! Keep them coming please

Thank you!
#5 Old 07-12-2017, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have or ever tried nutritional yeast? I've grown from only liking it on popcorn to loving it on almost everything. My taste has really changed from thinking it bitter to very savory and with some additions like garlic, some fat, and an acid like lemon being very cheesey

apple and peanut butter--or celery and pb

instant mashed potatoes both as is and an thickener for sauces, soups,

I get Better than bouollion no chicken and no beef soup bases online when I order other things. You may find them in stores. I think they're the best flavor additions.
You can whisk a tablespoon flour in a cup of cold water till lump free, stir while heating and then add a teaspoon of the base for a quick fat free gravy. Frontier boullion powder is vegan and can be found in bulk sections if you have a store with bulk things

Better then boullion or other veg broth, a can of beans (always rinse first). Throw in frozen veggies. Little pasta like orzo can be cooked with the broth first for about 8 to 10 min. if started in cold liquid

Cabbage is quickly cooked if minced fine--or just buy a bag of cole slaw! Sautee in a little oil, or just enough water to steam. Maybe with some sliced onions. Add frozen peas when done. I like this with farro or brown rice or pasta noodles with nutritional yeast (nooch) and garlic powder. Maybe a bit of lemon or vinegar

#6 Old 07-12-2017, 07:01 PM
person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashugana View Post
I've been 80-90% vegetarian for 3 months now and I want to be 100% by end of year. I'll need a staple of quick things to throw together if I am going to make it. Pinterest and websites all have 'recipes' and I don't need anything ground shattering - just clever ideas from you nice people.

For example, here are a few I've learned so far:
- Avocado: just cut in half and eat out of the shell - great emergency food
- Kiefer: chug 8 oz every morning to feel full
- Almonds: keep them in my desk drawer

Mashugana
Are you planning to be a lacto- vegetarian?

Kefir is made from fermented milk isn't it ? Or can you make it by fermenting soy milk? You can, after all, get soy yogurt.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk

Last edited by BlueMts; 07-12-2017 at 07:26 PM.
#7 Old 07-13-2017, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMts View Post
Are you planning to be a lacto- vegetarian?

Kefir is made from fermented milk isn't it ? Or can you make it by fermenting soy milk? You can, after all, get soy yogurt.
This is the transitioning to vegetarian forum, so it's okay!

There is water kefir and coconut kefir that are vegan. I've seen both at natural food stores, and the kefir grains sold online as well
BlueMts likes this.

#8 Old 07-19-2017, 06:08 AM

Thank you! I'm American so I would say your responses are awesome. I think in the UK I should say brilliant, yes?

Thanks again.
#9 Old 07-25-2017, 10:07 PM

Hi! Look in your grocery store for MorningStar Farms products. They are microwaveable fake meat and they are GOOD, and don't take long to prepare (or take in your purse and allow it to defrost throughout your workday). Usually sold at Trader Joe's, I think.

Also: Cheeeese!!! It's protein, it's healthy, it's filling! Slice cheddar and put it on top of green apple. Spread bleu cheese on a cracker and drizzle with honey. Put some brie on a brioche bun with apple slices and honey! the options are limitless.

Greek yogurt. Always works. very filling.

Or: throw some random fruits and a cup of vanilla yogurt in the blender. Fruit smoothie. Add almonds, or carrots, or avocado, for an extra bit of health.

slice up a log of mozzarella and a tomato and eat it with balsamic glaze or balsamic dressing drizzled on top. Delicious! this is also a good thing to put on avocado.

good luck
#10 Old 09-04-2017, 02:07 PM

Exclamation Cheese warning + Chickpeas are your friend

Cheese is amazing and that's been a tough thing for me to ever give up.... but as a lifelong vegetarian (Indian, Hindu) I was surprised when only a couple years ago I learned that cheese has rennet, an enzyme taken from the stomach of a slaughtered calf. I know countless vegetarians who eat cheese and there are cheeses that are not made with rennet or have a version of rennet made from other fungal/bacterial sources, so depending on what type of vegetarian you want to be and the verification of ingredients, you may be ok, but I thought I should let you know: (See Vegetarian Society's factsheet on Cheese and rennet)

As for quick meal ideas-- chickpeas are your friend. I'm talking hummus, or canned chickpeas to make your own quick meal. Hummus is something I ALWAYS have stocked in my fridge. Often when I'm feeling lazy, I make a quick "chana" dish using canned chickpeas, spices and tomato paste as my go-to for something filling. To add veggies, sometimes I will add some sauteed spinach and/or bell pepper to the channa. Easy meal to have with rice. ( I prefer brown rice or quinoa instead of plain white rice).

-Amritha @amr ithaalladi
For vegetarian meal ideas check out the In Transit Blog: Journeys Through Far-Off Place, Food, Fitness and Finding Fulfillment
#11 Old 09-04-2017, 02:22 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by intransitblog View Post
Cheese is amazing and that's been a tough thing for me to ever give up.... but as a lifelong vegetarian (Indian, Hindu) I was surprised when only a couple years ago I learned that cheese has rennet, an enzyme taken from the stomach of a slaughtered calf. I know countless vegetarians who eat cheese and there are cheeses that are not made with rennet or have a version of rennet made from other fungal/bacterial sources, so depending on what type of vegetarian you want to be and the verification of ingredients, you may be ok, but I thought I should let you know: (See Vegetarian Society's factsheet on Cheese and rennet)

-Amritha @amr ithaalladi
For vegetarian meal ideas check out the In Transit Blog: Journeys Through Far-Off Place, Food, Fitness and Finding Fulfillment

Hi Amritha,

In the United States, cheese-making has changed during the past 15 years.

According to the Vegetarian Resource Group, as of the year 2012, about 90% of American-made cheese is made using vegan microbial enzymes (Fermentation Produced Chymosin, or FPC), rather than animal rennet: http://www.vrg.org/blog/2012/08/21/m...rian-are-they/

The Dairy Research Institute says the same thing: https://www.cheesesociety.org/wp-con...tion-McCoy.pdf

Interestingly, GMO technology is what made these non-animal FPC enzymes so cheap and ubiquitous. FPC enzymes are industrially-produced by genetically-modified yeast. Here is a year 1990 American newspaper article, announcing the government-approval of this cheese-enzyme-making yeast - it was the very first GMO-produced food product to be approved by U.S. Food & Drug Administration: http://articles.latimes.com/1990-03-...oduct-for-food

Unfortunately, according to the Vegetarian Resource Group, cheeses made with FPC enzymes cannot be labeled or sold as USDA Organic (see detailed article in the bottom part of this webpage: http://www.vrg.org/blog/2012/08/21/m...rian-are-they/ ). The North American "Non GMO Project" will not allow its label to be placed on cheeses made with FPC enzymes: https://www.nongmoproject.org/high-r...icroorganisms/. Nor do these cheeses comply with European Organic standards. However, considering that 90% of American-made cheese is made with FPC enzymes, I think it's a small victory.

Spudulika likes this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 09-04-2017 at 03:51 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page