• 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 3 Post By silva
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Spudulika
  • 1 Post By David3

#1 Old 06-04-2017, 06:08 AM

Skinny Fat?

So asides from eating lots of veggies, some grains/starch, minimal fruits and few seeds, I also eat a serving of beans 3 times a week. I use lentils, kidney beans, black beans, and chick peas. After a couple of months, I noticed my stomach got really soft and I started to have a muffin top! Which is strange because I still weigh the same. No weight gain whatsoever. It's just my belly now looks like marshmallows. I don't think I can eat beans anymore, is there any alternative for that? I eat tempeh and tofu with no problem, but I don't really want to just rely on those. Can I get the same amount of nutrition from eating beans if I just stick to eating quinoa, rice and sweet potatoes? I just really want to eliminate beans from my diet, I don't like what it is doing to my body.

Last edited by RealisticOptimist; 06-04-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-04-2017, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

While veggies do have some protein the better sources are beans, legumes, seeds, nuts. Eating a serving only a few times a week is probably not enough unless you're consciously monitoring the rest of your diet- doesn't sound like it

http://www.chooseveg.com/foodplate

Don't blame beans, and tofu and tempeh are beans, eat more of them! Like 3 serving a day

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Last edited by silva; 06-04-2017 at 06:18 AM.
#3 Old 06-04-2017, 06:28 AM

I don't know about eating more tofu and tempeh, eating that everyday, 3 servings...too much of anything might not be too good. What if I develop an allergy? Too much soy scares me

#4 Old 06-04-2017, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

What did you eat before? Why does soy scare you? I wasn't advocating 3 servings of soy a day anyway-any type of beans, lentils, legumes along with nuts and seeds.
The only reason to avoid soy is if you have an allergy, you're not going to develop one from eating it. The articles that say soy is dangerous have all been linked to the meat and dairy promoters, although there was flawed research that has been acknowledged and updated.

What did you eat before? How long have you been veg?
Spudulika likes this.

#5 Old 06-04-2017, 07:03 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticOptimist View Post
I don't know about eating more tofu and tempeh, eating that everyday, 3 servings...too much of anything might not be too good. What if I develop an allergy? Too much soy scares me

Hi RealisticOptimist,

Tofu and tempeh are actually made from beans. Soybeans, to be specific:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tofu
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempeh

3 servings of tofu is only 1-1/2 cups.

The fear of soy foods seems to be common, and this fear is amplified by various popular websites which claim that soy foods cause breast growth in men, or cause breast cancer in women.

The whole "man-boobs" claim is based on just a single case study, in which a man developed enlarged breast tissue after consuming 3 quarts of soymilk (12 servings) per day, every day, for several months. Here is that case study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18558591 . Eating 3 servings of soy per day won't cause this problem.

The soy / women's breast cancer claim is based on experiments done on rats. When it comes to humans, soy foods appear to be protective against breast cancer. Please see this webpage from the American Cancer Society: https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/h...st-cancer.html

I'm not sure how you concluded that beans are causing your muscle loss or fat gain. Beans are much higher in protein than the rice and potatoes that you're also eating. One cup of boiled pinto beans contains about 15 grams of protein: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4430/2 . One cup of brown rice only contains 5 grams of protein: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...d-pasta/5707/2

Spudulika likes this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#6 Old 06-04-2017, 07:09 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
So asides from eating lots of veggies, some grains/starch, minimal fruits and few seeds, I also eat a serving of beans 3 times a week. I use lentils, kidney beans, black beans, and chick peas. After a couple of months, I noticed my stomach got really soft and I started to have a muffin top! Which is strange because I still weigh the same. No weight gain whatsoever. It's just my belly now looks like marshmallows. I don't think I can eat beans anymore, is there any alternative for that? I eat tempeh and tofu with no problem, but I don't really want to just rely on those. Can I get the same amount of nutrition from eating beans if I just stick to eating quinoa, rice and sweet potatoes? I just really want to eliminate beans from my diet, I don't like what it is doing to my body.

Can you be more specific about your diet? If your diet is mostly non-starchy veggies, with some grains/starch, and just 1 serving of beans every couple of days, this is a very low protein diet! Not surprising that you've lost muscle!

Can I ask where you got your vegan nutrition information from?

Mainstream vegan organizations recommend this approximate ratio of foods:

Here is a very good website about vegan nutrition and living: http://www.chooseveg.org
Spudulika likes this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

Last edited by David3; 06-04-2017 at 07:13 AM.
#7 Old 06-04-2017, 07:29 AM

Thanks for the links you provided...I'm pretty sure it's the beans that caused me to have marshmallow belly. Because for 1 week, I eliminated legumes and lentils from my diet, but kept the tempeh and tofu along with veggies, fruits, seeds, sweet potato, quinoa and rice. I was so happy when my bellyfat melted away, no more muffin top! Then when I put back the legumes and lentils again to my diet, there's the resurrection of marshmallow love handles. I despise them.

Last edited by RealisticOptimist; 06-04-2017 at 07:33 AM.
#8 Old 06-04-2017, 07:32 AM

David, I got it from everywhere in google lol. But I also take some protein shake. After I stopped eating legumes and lentils for a week but kept the tempeh and tofu, veggies, grains/starch, and included more seeds, my marshmallow belly melted away and I saw more muscle definition.
#9 Old 06-04-2017, 07:34 AM

But then I really don't want to live my life on soybeans alone
#10 Old 06-04-2017, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

You've said you've eaten beans and legumes about three servings a week, then stopped for a week and your belly firmed up? That's not how fat or muscle development work. If you've said you experience bloating and gas after beans, we could talk, but a 'muffin top'? Nope.

I renamed the title as beans do not equal skinny fat. Period.
jessandreia, Spudulika and David3 like this.

#11 Old 06-04-2017, 08:34 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
But then I really don't want to live my life on soybeans alone

Who said anything about living on soybeans alone? Wouldn't you also be eating your whole grains, nuts, fruits, and vegetables?

_________

#12 Old 06-04-2017, 08:36 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
David, I got it from everywhere in google lol. But I also take some protein shake. .

How very interesting. Why didn't you mention the protein shake before?

You're not providing us with accurate information about your diet.

_________

Last edited by David3; 06-04-2017 at 08:40 AM.
#13 Old 06-04-2017, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Wonder what's in the protein shake.
The main issue here is that no food is going to change fat or muscle tissue in a weeks time.
Spudulika and David3 like this.

#14 Old 06-04-2017, 09:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Did you use to work out and stopped?

A muffin top wouldn't go away in just a week. Maybe you were wearing different types of clothes that week that made it more noticeable?

Where we hold fat is unfortunately about genetics.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#15 Old 06-04-2017, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
You've said you've eaten beans and legumes about three servings a week, then stopped for a week and your belly firmed up? That's not how fat or muscle development work. If you've said you experience bloating and gas after beans, we could talk, but a 'muffin top'? Nope.

I renamed the title as beans do not equal skinny fat. Period.
Yep.
Could be bloating caused by gas, or maybe water retention, but definitely not fat.
Not in a week!
David3 likes this.
#16 Old 06-09-2017, 01:46 PM

Yea it is possible that the beans just make me bloated. Whatever it is, I don't like how it looks.
As far as protein shake goes, I take Vega Protein and Greens, bought them from bodybuilding.com
#17 Old 06-09-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Can you be more specific about your diet? If your diet is mostly non-starchy veggies, with some grains/starch, and just 1 serving of beans every couple of days, this is a very low protein diet! Not surprising that you've lost muscle!

Can I ask where you got your vegan nutrition information from?

Mainstream vegan organizations recommend this approximate ratio of foods:

For my protein source, I eat tempeh, tofu, and protein shakes.

Errr...thanks for the recommendation of ratio of food, but there's no way I can take 5 servings of grains and starchy vegetables in a day, that makes my belly huge Can I replace them with something else? Any more protein alternative besides tofu and tempeh? Can't do black beans, kidney beans or any legumes, makes me bloated.
#18 Old 06-09-2017, 04:08 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
For my protein source, I eat tempeh, tofu, and protein shakes.

Errr...thanks for the recommendation of ratio of food, but there's no way I can take 5 servings of grains and starchy vegetables in a day, that makes my belly huge Can I replace them with something else? Any more protein alternative besides tofu and tempeh? Can't do black beans, kidney beans or any legumes, makes me bloated.

I apologize - the term "serving" seems to cause a lot of confusion, including to me. Five servings of grains or starchy vegetables actually isn't that much. One serving of grains is only 1/2 cup (measured after cooking). One serving of legumes is also only 1/2 cup (measured after cooking):

(Serving size table, from Brenda Davis, RD: http://www.brendadavisrd.com/the-vegan-plate/ )

If you are not interested in regularly consuming soy foods, and if you would like to avoid legumes, then you are operating outside the recommendations of mainstream vegan organizations. For help in planning a vegan diet without legumes or soy foods, I would encourage you to make an appointment with a Registered Dietitian who specializes in vegetarian/vegan nutrition.

In which country do you live? We can send you a link to the website of your country's Registered Dietitian organization, where you can search for RD's local to you.

Spudulika likes this.

_________

Last edited by David3; 06-09-2017 at 04:16 PM.
#19 Old 06-09-2017, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm deeply unfond of the term 'serving' too, so fudgey and nannying, plus obviously decided by people who definitely don't eat the way I do! I never take any notice of suggested serving sizes of anything. I just weigh what I want, and then add to my nutrient tracker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
I apologize - the term "serving" seems to cause a lot of confusion, including to me. Five servings of grains or starchy vegetables actually isn't that much. One serving of grains is only 1/2 cup (measured after cooking). One serving of legumes is also only 1/2 cup (measured after cooking):

(Serving size table, from Brenda Davis, RD: http://www.brendadavisrd.com/the-vegan-plate/ )

If you are not interested in regularly consuming soy foods, and if you would like to avoid legumes, then you are operating outside the recommendations of mainstream vegan organizations. For help in planning a vegan diet without legumes or soy foods, I would encourage you to make an appointment with a Registered Dietitian who specializes in vegetarian/vegan nutrition.

In which country do you live? We can send you a link to the website of your country's Registered Dietitian organization, where you can search for RD's local to you.

Last edited by Spudulika; 06-09-2017 at 10:44 PM.
#20 Old 06-21-2017, 06:15 AM

I eat a cup of beans a day, (2 servings), and it doesn't affect my stomach (after the initial adjustment period). I also eat a large amount of veggies and fruit now and at the end of the day I have a 'baby bump' but it's gone in the morning. It takes time for your body to digest food-I usually eat 800+ grams of veg/fruit a day so it's got to go somewhere while it's breaking down
Save

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page