• 2 Post By Spudulika
  • 1 Post By SJaynee
  • 1 Post By ozfoodhunter
  • 3 Post By Emma JC
  • 2 Post By SJaynee
  • 3 Post By BlueMts

#1 Old 05-31-2017, 06:31 PM

How do you...

Stock your fridge or pantry? I realize that vegetables have a limited shelf life, so how does a vegetarian or vegan prepare meals for the week?
Emma JC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-01-2017, 12:30 AM
Veggie Regular

You can choose to make a weekly meal plan. Personally, I don't. Most vegetables have a shelf life of at least a week, so just buy vegetables for the week.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3 Old 06-01-2017, 04:58 AM

I decide what I'm going to eat for the week and buy food accordingly. Vegetables generally last 7 days in the fridge, but ones that have a shorter shelf life I use up first. I also buy as much as I can frozen if the vegetable freezes well- i.e green beans, spinach and chunks of butternut squash, then I always have them to hand.
Spudulika, David3 and Emma JC like this.

#4 Old 06-01-2017, 06:38 AM

I do my meal plans with the meals using the most perishable veggies early in the week and closer to when I go shopping. I always schedule some meals towards the end of the week that either use frozen veggies or less perishable like onions and potatoes. I also make large quantities of things and freeze meal portions. I use those frozen meals towards the end of the week as well.
Spudulika, David3 and Emma JC like this.
#5 Old 06-01-2017, 11:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSerene View Post
Stock your fridge or pantry? I realize that vegetables have a limited shelf life, so how does a vegetarian or vegan prepare meals for the week?
Recipes: I base a lot of my cooking around grains, pulses and starchy vegetables, and of course, these store well. I'd recommend all new veggies try to do this as basing the bulk of your diet around vegetables and fruit - unless you track nutrients and eat a LOT - will leave you in a calorie deficit and hungry all the time; thus potentially on a path to feeling exhausted, unwell and ultimately quitting the lifestyle.
I find Pinterest useful for storing recipes:
https://uk.pinterest.com/PennyVeg/
I've also been using this thread to do the same:
What Did You Cook Lately?
I usually end up changing recipes to suit myself and once I've got a recipe the way I want it, I record it on a blog (I'm not actually that good at doing this, but I do refer to it)
https://pennyveguk.wordpress.com/

Menus: I'm pretty organised. Not completely, we get to change our minds and sometimes I come in from work saying 'I dunno what I'm going to do for dinner' but I try to make a menu plan - the plan will always cover the week ahead and often will at least partly cover the month ahead. Even if we don't always keep to it, I know that stuff will be there if we want it.
Pepperplate is a useful tool for meal planning, you can find it here:
http://www.pepperplate.com/planner/

Shopping: I shop online all the time, it takes a fraction of the time that going to the shops does. Plus I always have a favourites list I can just click to add to the basket. I can read ingredient lists with ease and just click something to add to my basket. Once you've done it once, you get a favourites list to refer to. As I work from a menu, I know what I need to order and it (usually) gets used in time as I try to keep to a plan.

Storage: I food prep in advance and use my freezer a lot.
Much of my cooking is done big batch style at the weekend. I'll frequently soak and cook a 500g of beans and turn it into one of a number of favourite dishes we regularly have. Typically, I find a dish that involves a 500g bag of dried beans, will end up feeding eight. So for two of us, that works out as one main meal a week, for four weeks.
I also freeze bread, rolls, wraps, pitta bread, a number of different vegetables (beans, peas, sweetcorn are all good bets for the freezer, I also use frozen sliced mushrooms, whole leaf spinach, cauliflower and sliced peppers in some dishes)

Convenience: I buy in some ready made foods like frozen soya-based sausages, vegetable fingers and soya mince for lazy meals. We probably have something like this every weekend, and maybe again once in the week. There will be those who frown on this kind of food, but it works for us.
Emma JC likes this.

Last edited by Spudulika; 06-02-2017 at 12:01 AM.
#6 Old 06-02-2017, 01:26 AM

I just go to the store a few times a week, depends on which veggies I want or need. Like tomatoes and an open bag of lettuce are a little harder to keep for one whole week, the tomatoes don't taste the same way anymore and the salad just turns brownish. I always like to have different vegetables to choose from when making a salad, depending on what veggies I wanna eat at that specific moment.
David3 and Emma JC like this.
#7 Old 06-03-2017, 07:36 AM

Thank you all for the advice. I guess all that I need to do know is build up some recipes, good habits, and vegetable knowledge. Thank you again!
Emma JC likes this.
#8 Old 06-03-2017, 09:48 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSerene View Post

As others have already said, certain vegetables last longer than others in the fridge. Carrots are pretty durable. Leafy green vegetables tend to wilt quickly.

You can buy bags of frozen leafy green vegetables (spinach, mustard greens, collard greens) in the frozen foods section of your market. They are already washed and trimmed, too. These aren't as crispy as fresh greens, of course, but they are good for soups and stews.
Spudulika, Emma JC and SJaynee like this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#9 Old 06-04-2017, 03:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
As others have already said, certain vegetables last longer than others in the fridge. Carrots are pretty durable. Leafy green vegetables tend to wilt quickly.

You can buy bags of frozen leafy green vegetables (spinach, mustard greens, collard greens) in the frozen foods section of your market. They are already washed and trimmed, too. These aren't as crispy as fresh greens, of course, but they are good for soups and stews.
Good points.

These will all last at least a week (often more) in dark cool cupboard:

Root vegetables including potatoes, sweet potatoes, celeriac, carrots, parsnips.
Squash like pumpkin and butternut squash.
White or red cabbage
Onions, garlic

These will last a several days in the fridge:
Tomatoes, crisp lettuce (eg baby gem, cos and iceburg), cucumber, broccoli, leeks, green cabbage

These will need eating quickly, within a day or two in the fridge:
Watercress, fresh spinach, spring onions, soft leaved lettuce

Again, having a plan will help you to prevent food wastage as you'll know what you're eating when and what to buy for those meals.

As a rule of thumb, vegetables that are bought chopped or washed will have a much shorter storage life than vegetables that are bought whole and unprepared.
ozfoodhunter and Emma JC like this.
#10 Old 06-21-2017, 05:55 AM

I base my days around veg/fruit, and I love Rubbermaid's Freshworks containers-they keep my leafy green veggies fresh for a long time! I also use glass canning jars (the smaller ones) for things like diced onions, olives etc. I also use frozen steamer bags of California blend veggies-great to add into rice dishes. I also freeze strawberries, blueberries, bananas etc etc. My fridge/freezer looks like a produce department lol.
Emma JC likes this.
#11 Old 06-21-2017, 09:35 PM

I plan my cooking mostly based on leafy vegetables, pulses and grains. I visit shop weekly once to buy necessary vegetables to the planned meal and will purchase veggies in more quantity which will store for so many days like tomatoes, leeks, green cabbage.
Emma JC likes this.
#12 Old 06-22-2017, 05:00 PM
Emma JC

So many great suggestions here, some very experienced eaters!! lol

One other thing that I do (not sure if it is heresy) is canned goods. Mostly beans (although I do buy dry and make them myself) as I don't like to be caught without any. Also oil-free spaghetti and pizza sauces. Olives, of course. I don't buy many canned vegetables or fruits as I was brought up on those and don't have fond memories. I do keep a can of pineapple in case I get a craving for some on pizza.

If you always have rice and whole wheat pasta on hand then you will always have a meal available. Potatoes and sweet potatoes also store fairly well and if you like onions and garlic then they are handy for quick additions to pastas or bean meals. Rice and beans with veggies is a great meal that you can make a lot of at once and have leftovers for the next few days.

Oh yes, one more item I keep around for lazy days... hummus in a box.

good luck, Emma JC
David3, ozfoodhunter and SJaynee like this.

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based
for the animals, for the environment and for health (plus it's delicious)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Find a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#13 Old 06-22-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma JC View Post
So many great suggestions here, some very experienced eaters!! lol

One other thing that I do (not sure if it is heresy) is canned goods. Mostly beans (although I do buy dry and make them myself) as I don't like to be caught without any. Also oil-free spaghetti and pizza sauces. Olives, of course. I don't buy many canned vegetables or fruits as I was brought up on those and don't have fond memories. I do keep a can of pineapple in case I get a craving for some on pizza.

If you always have rice and whole wheat pasta on hand then you will always have a meal available. Potatoes and sweet potatoes also store fairly well and if you like onions and garlic then they are handy for quick additions to pastas or bean meals. Rice and beans with veggies is a great meal that you can make a lot of at once and have leftovers for the next few days.

Oh yes, one more item I keep around for lazy days... hummus in a box.

good luck, Emma JC
I'm a huge fan of canned beans! My go-to is throwing a few different kinds together in my crockpot with a bottle of low sugar bbq sauce (a tangy one), and cooking on low for a few hours. Then I portion it out into pint sized freezer bags and keep in my freezer. I defrost one a day to get in my beans (each bag holds 1 cups worth). I'm going to a family potluck this weekend and I'm making a batch for it-it's like fancy baked beans
Save
David3 and Emma JC like this.

~*Sara*~
Experimenting with a whole foods, plant base diet, (with a few Oreos and chili cheese Fritos thrown in here and there
).

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
#14 Old 06-22-2017, 10:57 PM
person

I don't cook so my husband decides what he is going to cook for the week before he goes shopping.

We always have rice, pasta, barley,lentils and tvp in the cupboard and tofu in the freezer.- oh and some pre-made sausages for emergencies -frozen.

DH buys anything that stays fresh all at once and get the more perishable things like mushrooms, bananas, avacadoes etc on his way home from work. He cooks for at least 5 days on the weekend and freezes most of it,

Basically we do what everyone else does.
David3, Emma JC and SJaynee like this.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page