Ways to eat nuts when you're not a fan - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By reikistar
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By reikistar

#1 Old 05-29-2017, 05:16 AM

Ways to eat nuts when you're not a fan

Hello, I wondered if this will help anyone else or seem rather obvious, but I'll write it anyway. I can't eat nuts on their own, I hate them, and to a lesser extent seeds, which was a serious problem for me when i first went veggie as I needed up up my calorie intake. I wasn't very confident or creative in the kitchen so I didn't really use nuts at all. I still hate them, but I have developed ways to use them. I'm sure this list will be obvious to the majority here, but in case anyone else is in my situation, here are some basic tips...

Sprinkle ground nuts and/or seeds onto porridge, raw soaked oats, cereal etc

Eat lots of nut and seed butters, i.e peanut, almond, hazelnut, pumpkin and tahini are all good for spreading

Bake them into cakes and biscuits and eat 1-2 as an 'after dinner' desert

Use nuts in a green pesto (I can provide recipe/link on request) which you can then use as a base to pasta and many other meals

Sprinkle seasme seeds onto bean burgers before baking; add tahini to bean burgers

Add ground nuts/seeds to a fruit smoothie. Flaxseed and chia are good for this.

For a satisfying snack, chop fruit of your choice and add a tablespoon of seeds such as sunflower or pumpkin, and serve this with a small amount of soya or coconut cream. I find kiwi, berries or mango works best for this.

Add a sprinkling of either ground or very finely chopped nuts and/or seeds onto any other meal that you fancy!
Spudulika, David3 and BlueMts like this.

Last edited by reikistar; 05-29-2017 at 05:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-29-2017, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Don't forget raw cashews! They're just amazing for adding creaminess, and thickness in just about anything.
I've been loving new recipes for cheese sauces, dips, cheese balls, and cream soups with cashews

I have a nutri-bullet like mini blender, and soak, then simmer the cashews, drain, and blend with liquid while they're still warm (not hot). It's very smooth that way without a high speed blender

I can't imagine needing to make yourself eat nuts! I have to make myself keep away!

Walnuts go in all my salads
I sub walnuts for pine nuts in pesto, and anything that call for pine nuts (cause they're crazy expensive here!)
I love nut roasts.
They're in my tempeh sausage
Almonds in fried rice
Peanuts top brown rice with frozen veggies for a quick-grab work lunch
Spicy peanut sauces

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 05-29-2017, 08:29 AM

Oh gosh I forgot nut roasts, I love those. The other ideas sound great too!

Yeah it's funny I just can't eat nuts, I think it's the texture more than the taste although I'm not too keen on the taste of some either. I actually vomited through forcing mself to eat brazil nuts first time I went veggie, so then I cut nuts out altogether, but later found I wasn't getting enough calories to curb my hunger. I knew I had to find a way to eat them hence the list. As I said I'm sure it's obvious for most people, but I know I would've benefitted from a list like that when I was struggling, so maybe it will be some use.
Danil Shipak likes this.

#4 Old 06-19-2017, 03:32 AM

Interesting, yeah. Salted nuts of any type I find hard to resist. VERY moreish. Without salt, many nuts are bland but add salt and...BLISS! Yes I know salt is bad etc.

I have opposite problem as nuts are very calorie-dense so I have to rein in my predilection to nuts.
#5 Old 06-19-2017, 07:49 AM
Emma JC

I am with you on the green pesto, it is my favourite and I make enough to put into ice cube trays and freeze and store in a resealable baggie. In fact, I scored a bunch of basil yesterday so will be making some today.

My most favourite use of raw cashews (sometimes roasted) is Shaky Cheeze or non-parmesan cheese for pastas and the like.

My other half commutes to work and so I always pack him a baggie of mixed nuts and oil-free pretzels so he has a snack anytime he needs to.

Thanks for all your great ideas!

Seeds and nuts play a big role in our eating habits, tahini (love it), hemp seeds make awesome dressings, flax meal on every breakfast.

a bit seedy and nutty, Emma JC

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based
for the animals, for the environment and for health (plus it's delicious)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Find a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#6 Old 07-02-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reikistar View Post
Oh gosh I forgot nut roasts, I love those. The other ideas sound great too!

Yeah it's funny I just can't eat nuts, I think it's the texture more than the taste although I'm not too keen on the taste of some either. I actually vomited through forcing mself to eat brazil nuts first time I went veggie, so then I cut nuts out altogether, but later found I wasn't getting enough calories to curb my hunger. I knew I had to find a way to eat them hence the list. As I said I'm sure it's obvious for most people, but I know I would've benefitted from a list like that when I was struggling, so maybe it will be some use.
Ohhhh thanks, you mentioned for roasted nuts, I thought while reading, why not roasted nuts.

#7 Old 07-05-2017, 01:18 PM

What about one of the many fruit & nut snack mixes?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page