5Likes
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By David3

#1 Old 04-08-2017, 06:22 PM

cooking dry lentil beans in crock pot

hello,
I just started on this diet change...and wanted to know how to cook lentis?

now, when I cook other dry beans I:
-rinse twice in strainer to remove dirt/rocks etc
-soak in large pot o/n approx 12 hours
-rinse
-crock pot on high for 7 hrs
(I just learned that kidney beans I should've cooked on stove for 10 min prior to crock potting it)

now...for LENTILS...what needs to change in the above technique? I love using the crock pot for this...the beans turn out nice for me. thank you! still learning!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-08-2017, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

I don't use a slow cooker, but lentils only take about 20 minutes. One part lentils to 2- 2 1/2 cups water. Bring to boil and then to a simmer.

For beans I'm sold on pressure cooking. I now am a very proud owner of a Instant Pot! For beans, overnight (or day) soak, rinse, 15-20 minutes pressure cook!

I will say I'm more likely to find rocks or dirt in lentils than beans-rare, but more than in beans

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 04-08-2017, 07:57 PM
Vegan since 1991

Lentils require no soaking prior to cooking.

Lentils cook so quickly (30-45 minutes) that you don't even need a slow cooker. However, if you'd like to use a slow cooker, recommended cooking times range from 3-4 hours (high setting) to 6-7 hours (low setting).

You are correct that beans (particularly kidney beans) should be boiled prior to slow-cooking. The U.S. Food and Drug Administrations recommends that kidney beans be boiled for at least 30 minutes, prior to subsequent cooking. Please see page 254 of this report from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration: https://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/F.../UCM297627.pdf .
Coolranchdressn likes this.

_________
"Users tend to aggregate in communities of interest, which causes reinforcement and fosters confirmation bias, segregation, and polarization. This comes at the expense of the quality of the information and leads to proliferation of biased narratives fomented by unsubstantiated rumors, mistrust, and paranoia."

- "The Spreading of Misinformation Online", from the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, December 2015

#4 Old 04-09-2017, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry, I really didn't give a good answer! Lentils or other pulses used for dahl don't need to be soaked, just rinsed and checked.
I usually cook more like 20 minutes, then check for doneness and cover. It's easy to overcook

Red or orange lentils are skinless and cook to a paste. Brown and green have a skin and keep their shape. I often use both, and season the cooking water.
I use lentils for lentil kofta-http://www.cearaskitchen.com/red-lentil-kofta-vegan-healthy/
soups
sloppy joes-I've just used a jar of sauce added to cooked red and brown lentils, onions and pepper
mujadarra-http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aarti-sequeira/lebanese-lentils-rice-and-caramelized-onions-mujadara-recipe
Coolranchdressn likes this.

#5 Old 04-09-2017, 03:58 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Sorry, I really didn't give a good answer! Lentils or other pulses used for dahl don't need to be soaked, just rinsed and checked.
I usually cook more like 20 minutes, then check for doneness and cover. It's easy to overcook

Red or orange lentils are skinless and cook to a paste. Brown and green have a skin and keep their shape. I often use both, and season the cooking water.
I use lentils for lentil kofta-http://www.cearaskitchen.com/red-lentil-kofta-vegan-healthy/
soups
sloppy joes-I've just used a jar of sauce added to cooked red and brown lentils, onions and pepper
mujadarra-http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aarti-sequeira/lebanese-lentils-rice-and-caramelized-onions-mujadara-recipe

Silva, your answer was excellent. I brought up the no-soaking-required-for-lentils thing because our new member was accustomed to soaking their beans (and I wanted them to know that it wasn't necessary with lentils).

_________
"Users tend to aggregate in communities of interest, which causes reinforcement and fosters confirmation bias, segregation, and polarization. This comes at the expense of the quality of the information and leads to proliferation of biased narratives fomented by unsubstantiated rumors, mistrust, and paranoia."

- "The Spreading of Misinformation Online", from the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, December 2015
#6 Old 04-09-2017, 07:38 PM
Beginner

I have been reading up on lectins which are the most abundant in seeds, legumes, lentils, rice and quinoa. The site I'm linking here says that they should all be soaked, sprouted and the water disposed of. The kinds of lectins that those foods have are very bad for you and in heavy grain diets can be the cause of leaky gut syndrome. Same with tomato seeds and the skin apparently, which is one of the reasons you remove the skin of the tomato before making sauce.

Soaking and sprouting are important and then a good boil to further degrade the lectins with the wet heat.

But don't believe me, read the site and come to your own conclusion. http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-lectins
#7 Old 04-19-2017, 11:43 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebrahM View Post

Soaking and sprouting are important and then a good boil to further degrade the lectins with the wet heat.

But don't believe me, read the site and come to your own conclusion. http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-lectins

The article's peer-reviewed references do support the importance of cooking beans and grains.

The article's peer-reviewed references don't appear to support the recommendation to soak or sprout beans and grains prior to cooking. Could you post peer-reviewed studies which support this recommendation?

_________

Last edited by David3; 04-19-2017 at 12:13 PM.
#8 Old 04-19-2017, 11:56 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
The kinds of lectins that those foods have are very bad for you and in heavy grain diets can be the cause of leaky gut syndrome. Same with tomato seeds and the skin apparently, which is one of the reasons you remove the skin of the tomato before making sauce.

Your referenced article doesn't really talk about the tomato skins and seeds topic. Could you post peer-reviewed studies on this topic?

I did find a peer-reviewed study on the nutritive composition of tomato seeds. It shows that tomato seeds are low in saturated fat and high in unsaturated fats: https://www.omicsonline.org/evaluati....php?aid=12418

There are popular website articles claiming that tomatoes are bad for you, but these are all from paleo websites (and the related "bulletproof" diet websites), from the anti-vegan Weston A. Price Foundation, and from the anti-vegetarian Dr. Mercola. Popular blogs and websites are not reliable sources of nutrition information. Peer-reviewed studies provide information of greater reliability.

_________

Last edited by David3; 04-19-2017 at 12:35 PM.
#9 Old 04-20-2017, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have been reading up on lectins which are the most abundant in seeds, legumes, lentils, rice and quinoa. The site I'm linking here says that they should all be soaked, sprouted and the water disposed of. The kinds of lectins that those foods have are very bad for you and in heavy grain diets can be the cause of leaky gut syndrome. Same with tomato seeds and the skin apparently, which is one of the reasons you remove the skin of the tomato before making sauce.

Quite frankly, I feel this kind of obsession with picking food nutrition apart does more to deter from people from eating vegan than most anything else. You can find problems with literally any food if you want to-how about the nightshade family as a whole? How about quinoa-the seed designed to not be eaten? Omnivores in general, have a far greater abundance of foods with nutritional components predisposed to cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, digestive issues, and yet only a small fraction of people go veg*n. Why? Because people like food

I'm all for good nutrition, but when people are already entering a more limited diet, one that entails finding new foods and new preparations. One that is already, by it's limitations, a healthier alternative, I don't think picking it apart does any one any good. Well, except for orthorexics and those with ocd.

OCD is exectly what kept from being veg'n for many years, and it's the overzealous health aspects, and obsession with ingredients that made it so triggering to try and abstain

Why can't we accept that part of the vegan community that will lean towards the SAD way of eating? Of all the comments I get it's like 90% that aren't vegan because of food preference-not fear of lectins or getting protien
jessandreia and David3 like this.

#10 Old 04-20-2017, 08:59 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Quite frankly, I feel this kind of obsession with picking food nutrition apart does more to deter from people from eating vegan than most anything else. You can find problems with literally any food if you want to-how about the nightshade family as a whole? How about quinoa-the seed designed to not be eaten? Omnivores in general, have a far greater abundance of foods with nutritional components predisposed to cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, digestive issues, and yet only a small fraction of people go veg*n. Why? Because people like food

I'm all for good nutrition, but when people are already entering a more limited diet, one that entails finding new foods and new preparations. One that is already, by it's limitations, a healthier alternative, I don't think picking it apart does any one any good. Well, except for orthorexics and those with ocd.

OCD is exectly what kept from being veg'n for many years, and it's the overzealous health aspects, and obsession with ingredients that made it so triggering to try and abstain

Why can't we accept that part of the vegan community that will lean towards the SAD way of eating? Of all the comments I get it's like 90% that aren't vegan because of food preference-not fear of lectins or getting protien

Agreed, and I'm also going to make these courageous and shocking statements:

1. Tomatoes are healthy, skins, seeds, and all.

2. No need to sprout beans before cooking.

3. No need to sprout grains before cooking.

4. All of this sprouting, soaking, fermenting, and rotting nonsense is making us look like hypochondriacs.

Symondezyn likes this.

_________

Last edited by David3; 04-20-2017 at 11:58 AM.
#11 Old 04-20-2017, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Agree, and I'm also going to make these courageous and shocking statements:

1. Tomatoes are healthy, skins, seeds, and all.

2. No need to sprout beans before cooking.

3. No need to sprout grains before cooking.

4. All of those sprouting, soaking, fermenting, and rotting nonsense is making us look like hypochondriacs.

Yes! I don't want to discourage anyone from doing research, but you have to consider the facts in perspective of the whole! Much like the organic vs conventional argument, the reality is that eating fruits and vegetables in abdundance is better than avoiding them due to toxin concerns.

Too many omnivores use these kinds of tactics to bring down the idea of plant based diets. I've even read that when you eat meat and dairy you don't need to worry as much about the pesticides on foods because the animal products give you some sort of protection

Yes, do the research, but examine it in the light of the whole instead of picking apart the pieces

#12 Old 04-20-2017, 02:07 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Well, some think we can go vegan by eating Oreo's and lettuce (but no meat) and some of us are KEENLY interested in the food that we put in our bodies. I've sorry that you're so offended by my inclusion of the information that I've read that food EXPERTS have said.

I was under the impression that this was a forum that was open to freely sharing ideas and information. I had no idea that someone who is very interested in maintaining excellent health into my old age had limitations on what could be shared.

Raw potatoes - go ahead and eat them and don't worry about the lectins in either tomatoes or green peppers as well (because raw nightshade must be good for you on some level)https://www.superfoodly.com/foods-high-in-lectins/

quinoa - don't bother washing the natural pesticide coating off quinoa even if it does make your quinoa taste funny and even if sprouting it for a day does mean the nutrient levels are improved

beans and lentils - don't bother soaking them and discarding the water because who cares what the experts say

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/vege...raw-11414.html

(personally I don't think a vegan diet is at all limited and the fact that a veg. is suggesting that it is is just plain sad).

You know when I first came here to this forum, I was researching B12 and I made a couple of posts to remind veg'ns to take their supplements. Got told off for that.

I also posted Dr. Greger's video where he talked specifically about the need for veg'ns to make sure they got enough omega 3's to prevent heart disease. In the video, he said that there seemed to be a problem with the number of non-meat eaters who were having heart attacks and suggested that the failure to consume enough omega 3's was probably the reason. I got told off for that.

Now I post something about the need for soaking lentils just like we all soak beans, and I'm getting lectured for that too.

While all plant foods contain lectins and some more than others and some being more harmful to your health, in my original comment, I mentioned the beans and lentils and gave a link (not just my own opinion) for you all to take a look at. I will say right now too, if I didn't previously, that the usefulness of some lectins in the diet is not a bad thing as they have ramifications when it comes to cancer cells and prevention.

So go ahead, eat however you want, I won't disturb your peace of mind any more. I'm done.

Last edited by 121938; 04-20-2017 at 02:23 PM.
#13 Old 04-20-2017, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well, some think we can go vegan by eating Oreo's and lettuce (but no meat) and some of us are KEENLY interested in the food that we put in our bodies. I've sorry that you're so offended by my inclusion of the information that I've read that food EXPERTS have said.
No one ever condoned unhealthy diets. I have only asked that the obsessions with picking nutrition apart be corralled. I've never overlooked poor diet choices. I don't feel you ever realize how you come across with your scare tactics.

Quote:
I was under the impression that this was a forum that was open to freely sharing ideas and information. I had no idea that someone who is very interested in maintaining excellent health into my old age had limitations on what could be shared.
I'm very glad that you've found what works for you, and really don't care how far you go-I'm not saying the ideas you believe are nutritionally unsound. Yes, this forum is open to freely sharing ideas and information, and I'm making the point that your link isn't really substantiated by other science. We're here for everyone wishing to abstain from meat and get help living in a society where they're considered outsiders. New veg*ns need help with maintaining good dietary choices, but to go the extend of saying tomato skins and seeds are bad, when they never had a worry when they ate omnivore? That's over the top.

Quote:
Raw potatoes - go ahead and eat them and don't worry about the lectins in either tomatoes or green peppers as well (because raw nightshade must be good for you on some level)https://www.superfoodly.com/foods-high-in-lectins/

quinoa - don't bother washing the natural pesticide coating off quinoa even if it does make your quinoa taste funny and even if sprouting it for a day does mean the nutrient levels are improved

beans and lentils - don't bother soaking them and discarding the water because who cares what the experts say
Yes, you want to rinse quinoa. My reference was that there are plenty of links that say it's really a poison, and should not be consumed, just like your link. The same with beans. You can find links with 'research' demonizing every food.

Quote:
(personally I don't think a vegan diet is at all limited and the fact that a veg. is suggesting that it is is just plain sad).
I'm suggesting that you're limiting it

Quote:
You know when I first came here to this forum, I was researching B12 and I made a couple of posts to remind veg'ns to take their supplements. Got told off for that.
No you didn't, you were asked to tone down the hyperbole

Quote:
I also posted Dr. Greger's video where he talked specifically about the need for veg'ns to make sure they got enough omega 3's to prevent heart disease. In the video, he said that there seemed to be a problem with the number of non-meat eaters who were having heart attacks and suggested that the failure to consume enough omega 3's was probably the reason. I got told off for that.

Now I post something about the need for soaking lentils just like we all soak beans, and I'm getting lectured for that too.

While all plant foods contain lectins and some more than others and some being more harmful to your health, in my original comment, I mentioned the beans and lentils and gave a link (not just my own opinion) for you all to take a look at. I will say right now too, if I didn't previously, that the usefulness of some lectins in the diet is not a bad thing as they have ramifications when it comes to cancer cells and prevention.
So go ahead, eat however you want, I won't disturb your peace of mind any more. I'm done.
It's so ironic that you keep mentioning Dr Greger, because I have complete respect for all his research. All I've, or others, have asked is that you not trigger fears of eating a normal, everyday, vegan diet. I've been through obsessing about every food, what to eat, how to prepare things the proper way, whether it's organic, whether to eat raw or not. It's draining, it's mentally exhausting, and it never ends. It never ends because new sites come up with new scares. In the end I truly believe it's this kind of OCD of food that is a leading cause of people going back to typical omni diets. It's illustrated well in the book Breaking Vegan. Vegans have largely been criticized as a disguise for anorexics, and now, for orthoexia.

everyone is free here to share there opinions, it's when they're presented as facts with questionable links to scare people that they're confronted

I still feel badly that a member here felt shamed for asking about vegan sausages. they left with the message that they felt unwelcome for not being healthy enough. Instead of defending them, I said they were being too sensitive. Well, right after they left I started to really understand how so many here, how many more vegans than omnis, are judgemental of others choices in food. I promised myself I never over look the reality of those who just want to be decent humans and not participate in cruelty

#14 Old 04-20-2017, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

...and to think this thread started with a question on how to cook lentils...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page