Beans making me feel sick - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-05-2017, 12:42 PM

Lightbulb Beans making me feel sick

Greetings!

I am new here, I am new to vegan philosophy, and even in transition.
However, having great difficulties in food, especially in the matter of grains.

My body does not seem to digest well (no good) any kind of beans, chickpeas, lentils, peas, etc.

I get upset, because how can I follow a vegan diet this way. And getting back to eating meat is not an option.

I already had gastritis and giardia, but fine today.

I've tried medical help, and by exclusion, I've been told that I may have irritable bowel syndrome or IBS.

Well, I've already done a FODMAP diet, to control it for a year, but it's just to go back to eating 50g of beans, that an hour later I'll be feeling bad.

I always soak overnight, and cook very healthy.

Does anybody here has already been through this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-05-2017, 04:21 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrodrik View Post
Greetings!

I am new here, I am new to vegan philosophy, and even in transition.
However, having great difficulties in food, especially in the matter of grains.

My body does not seem to digest well (no good) any kind of beans, chickpeas, lentils, peas, etc.

I get upset, because how can I follow a vegan diet this way. And getting back to eating meat is not an option.

I already had gastritis and giardia, but fine today.

I've tried medical help, and by exclusion, I've been told that I may have irritable bowel syndrome or IBS.

Well, I've already done a FODMAP diet, to control it for a year, but it's just to go back to eating 50g of beans, that an hour later I'll be feeling bad.

I always soak overnight, and cook very healthy.

Does anybody here has already been through this?

Hi Hrodrik,

This may require the assistance of a Registered Dietitian. All mainstream vegan organizations recommend that vegans eat legumes, because legumes are such a valuable source of protein, iron, folate, and the amino acid lysine. It's advisable to seek professional nutrition assistance if you want to eat a vegan diet that excludes legumes.

In which country do you live? I can send you a link to your country's registry of Registered Dietitians.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#3 Old 04-05-2017, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Beans can be difficult for a lot of people to digest who are unfamiliar with them and just starting to include them more. I began eating beans on a regular basis in 2007 and I remember having issues with bloating, gas, cramps at first. Over time my body became very used to them and all that went away. Now I can easily eat three or more servings in a day and be fine. When I first went vegan my partner had a hard time with beans because he hadn't eaten them much before, but he too became accustomed to them over time and now handles them fine.

You may need to start slowly with them, eat just one serving every few days for a while, and give your body time to adjust. You may find that some beans agree with you more than others. My body has a harder time with brown lentils but is fine with red ones. I also never eat fruit and beans in the same meal as I always have trouble if I do. I tend to pair beans with vegetables, greens, or whole grains like brown rice or quinoa the most.

Also, if dried cooked beans are an issue, try using canned beans. Rinse them well first before consuming.

Finally, when you cook your beans, how long do you cook them for? Most need more than an hour, some closer to two. I add a piece of kombu to my pot as this helps draw out some of the gases in the beans and makes them more digestible. I think a pinch of baking soda does the same.

There are high raw vegans who do not consume beans or grains. They tend to eat either tons of leafy greens or include nuts and seeds in their diets to get their protein needs met. Some people soak and eat some grains raw. I do this with whole oat groats. I soak them for 12-24 hours, then add them to a blender with the soak water and make a sort of creamy concoction. I put this concoction into a sterile glass jar with a mesh lid for air, and cover it loosely and let it ferment for 24 to 48 hours in a warm spot (or add it to a glass jar in a yogurt maker with controlled warm temperature between 90-110 degrees F). This is what is called oatgurt, and is loaded with natural probiotics by letting it ferment. It tastes like yogurt but is textured like oatmeal. There are tons of recipes for oatgurt online. Soaking grains before cooking them can help make those more digestible too. Especially ones like rice, quinoa, buckwheat groats etc. It is not necessary but helps some people.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#4 Old 04-05-2017, 06:55 PM

Greetings, Hrodrik.

I suggest giving different kinds of lentils a try, rather than the larger beans. Cook them well, soupy, with plenty of water, and cook with some healthy oil like coconut, olive, or sesame.

Try digestive spices. A good combination is cumin, coriander, turmeric. Ginger, fresh especially, is very good, too. Also fennel seed, whole or powdered.

The most digestible pulse is split mung beans. Red lentils are also very good.

Split mung beans cooked in a gruel with an equal amount of Basmati rice is very digestible.

These are all suggestions from the ancient Indian medical science known as Ayurveda that I've found to be true in my own diet.

Good luck!
#5 Old 04-06-2017, 01:20 AM

Get azuki beans, man this is the God-given food. Best food I ever eat, I eat azuki every other day. But yes, sometimes even I get gasses when I cook it on my favorite way.

I throw dry azuki, and I let it cook in its own water, I don't throw water after it gets colored. This gives extremely tasty flavor to the beans, and i love it, but the problem is that because of that you can get gasses.

In other words, if you have problems with beans, first cook the beans to maximum and then throw that water and use clean water to cook your favorite meal.

try it and let us know if it helped.
#6 Old 04-06-2017, 06:42 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_green_gold View Post
These are all suggestions from the ancient Indian medical science known as Ayurveda that I've found to be true in my own diet.

I have great respect for the Indian health tradition. However, if one wishes to follow Ayurveda health principles, it is sensible to inform oneself of its benefits and its risks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayurveda

Please see this report, from the World Health Organization, regarding the heavy metals content of certain Ayurveda medicinal products: http://apps.who.int/medicinedocs/en/d/Js7918e/3.2.html

Also, please be aware that the Ayurveda Sattvic diet excludes foods that are considered healthy by mainstream health organizations - onions, garlic, and chili peppers.

Finally, be cautious of Ayurveda's recommendation of ghee (clarified butter) as an ideal cooking oil: http://www.ayurveda.com/recipes/ghee . About 60% of the fat in ghee is saturated fat: http://www.calorieking.com/foods/cal...TEzMTA2MA.html . At this time, the American Heart Association recommends that people strictly limit their intake of saturated fat: https://healthyforgood.heart.org/Eat...Saturated-Fats

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 04-06-2017 at 07:05 PM.
#7 Old 04-07-2017, 05:18 AM

Saturated fat is another mistery in the nutritions world. For example coconut oil is high in saturated fat, in fact, it has huge amounts fo saturated fat, but many people all over the world believe it is the best oil you can use, and I agree with that. Saturated fat from vegetables is not such a problem than saturated fat from animals, and American diet is sure packed with saturated fat from animals.

Onion, garlic and other roots that are excluded in Ayurveda just gives me a huge doubt about it. I mean I believe Ayurveda is an excellent choice, but still not perfect because of simply excluding garlic?

How can you exclude garlic? Garlic is the God-given food, it has so many benefits that are impossible to write all of them on one paper, and they exclude it.

Tags
beans , ibs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page