beans: how much?? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 03-06-2017, 05:22 PM

beans: how much??

ok, so predominantely before my transition I ate very healthy; a lot of raw fruit/veg...and cooked dinners myself mainly staples like soup/pizza/pasta/chicken and veggie/etc...

so now that I'm cutting out meat...I think I gotta replace with beans/nuts (I HATE nuts on own...but love them when mixed w/ others so I gotta look into recieps for that)

how much beans do I gotta eat now? never really ate much (other than when in chili!!)...is it like a can a day? half a can? I've come across the vegan food triangle but I still don't get it. I'm lean, tall, and use athletic...I eat a lot normally...I think I have a high metabolism so I may be on the higher end for females?

I'm nervous about this shift in protein....
TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-06-2017, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Well the longer you're veg*n the more it's like being an omni. You discover ways to make foods you never thought of doing before

I cook about a pound of dried beans every week- which is about 5-6 cups, between me and my son, but I eat more.
Soups, cassoulet, casseroles, burritos, enchiladas, dips, sandwich spreads, wraps, burgers, sides, salads

I also eat tofu, tempeh, and make seitan about every couple weeks

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 03-06-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Well the longer you're veg*n the more it's like being an omni. You discover ways to make foods you never thought of doing before

I cook about a pound of dried beans every week- which is about 5-6 cups, between me and my son, but I eat more.
Soups, cassoulet, casseroles, burritos, enchiladas, dips, sandwich spreads, wraps, burgers, sides, salads

I also eat tofu, tempeh, and make seitan about every couple weeks
I see so you're eating less then a cup per day? of course you're eating tofu and the other stuff (never tried any of those).
I've had tofu in past but never really liked the texture...and there's something about "processed" foods that I'm weary of (I won't be buying any of those wanna-be meat products...I'd rather make them myself)...

I seen that one should have 1-2 servings of beans/day which is about 1-1.5 cups a day which seems a lot...(unless I make bean burgers which I have and I liked a lot)...

I'll be looking into adding beans to salads in a minute now...
oooohh and you mention sandwich spreads...gotta look into that too!! thank you Silva!...you make it yourself?
and looking into COOKING dried beans...gotta look into that (vs from the can as I'm sure it's cheaper?)...

#4 Old 03-06-2017, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Chickpeas are one of favorites.
If you're using canned, rinse well. Mash with a strong fork, or potato masher, easier if warm, and make the same way you'd make chicken, egg, or tuna salad. I use vegan mayo, pickle relish, and chopped onion. I like to change it up with curry powder, or Old Bay seasoning, or black salt (an Indian spice, kala namak, that has an uncanny taste of egg-and I didn't even like eggs!)

hummus is easily made in a food processor, as well as other bean dips. I also like to use bean dips in tacos.

I do enjoy some of the 'faux' meats. Tofurky Italian sausage is great chopped up in spaghetti with veggies, or in the typical pepper and onion sub with some vegan cheese. That's what I'd recommend on pizza!
Boca and Gardien make chik'n type patties I've enjoyed most of my life.

Tofu can be prepared in so many different ways, and people have very different preferences. I mostly buy extra firm and simply cube it, and saute with seasoning and veggies. Sometimes I'll coat with corn starch and lightly fry with a sauce, like General Tso. I like it baked in a marinade, in fried rice, in soups, in burgers. I do not like it after its been frozen which many here recommend.

I bought an Instant Pot, which is an electric pressure cooker. So easy because it comes to pressure and times the cooking without being watched! Really have to watch for a good deal!

Oh, and I also drink soy milk
Coolranchdressn likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 03-06-2017, 07:39 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolranchdressn View Post
ok, so predominantely before my transition I ate very healthy; a lot of raw fruit/veg...and cooked dinners myself mainly staples like soup/pizza/pasta/chicken and veggie/etc...

so now that I'm cutting out meat...I think I gotta replace with beans/nuts (I HATE nuts on own...but love them when mixed w/ others so I gotta look into recieps for that)

how much beans do I gotta eat now? never really ate much (other than when in chili!!)...is it like a can a day? half a can? I've come across the vegan food triangle but I still don't get it. I'm lean, tall, and use athletic...I eat a lot normally...I think I have a high metabolism so I may be on the higher end for females?

I'm nervous about this shift in protein....
TIA

1-1/2 cups of beans is less than you might think - it's only 1/2 cup per meal. Also, remember that it's 1-1/2 cups of beans after cooking, not 1-1/2 cups of dry beans cooked (that would be a lot of beans!).

For breakfast, you might enjoy mashing up a little tofu with a fork, and adding the tofu to your oatmeal while it's cooking. Eat with your favorite fruit / sweetener. You won't really taste the tofu.

If you like pasta, you can add some boiled lentils to whole wheat spaghetti, and eat with whatever sauce you like. You can also add mashed tofu to your spaghetti sauce - kind of looks like ricotta cheese.

Beans and lentils are great in soups, too. You can just make/buy your favorite soup, and then add some beans/lentils to it.

Mercy For Animals has a beautifully illustrated Vegetarian Starter Guide. On page 13, it does a good job of summarizing vegetarian/vegan nutrition: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#6 Old 06-21-2017, 05:44 AM

I follow Dr. Fuhrman's plan, more or less, and go by his recommendation of 1 cup of beans a day. I make a big crockpot full of various low sodium canned beans (current batch is pinto, black, northern and garbanzo)-dump them in the crockpot with a bottle of low sugar barbecue sauce. Cook on low for a few hours, until beans are soft, and then cool/divide into 1 cup portions in freezer bags and then keep in freezer. Every morning I pull one out to defrost and then warm up on stove for a couple minutes at lunch time. I also use bean pastas (black bean and garbanzo) a couple times a week. 2 servings equals 1 cup of beans and tastes nice with low sugar marinara sauce, (I add chia seeds to the sauce), with sauteed mushrooms and onions (I saute them in the homemade veggie broth I make).

Last edited by SJaynee; 06-21-2017 at 06:12 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page