• 2 Post By Mary Manukyan
  • 1 Post By Canny Scot
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By BlueMts
  • 1 Post By Susie Lou

#1 Old 11-23-2016, 11:45 PM

Question New...feeling sick

Hey guys. So I recently (about a month ago) quit eating meat. I originally decided to be a pescatarian, and I've had fish and shrimp once or twice over the past few weeks, but more recently have just tried opting for an all vegetarian diet.

The problem is I feel nauseous all the time. Even if I'm extremely hungry, and sit down to have a good nutritious meal, about four bites in I feel like gagging and start getting nauseous. The smell of meat now makes me feel sick (which I'm ok with), but so do other things, and I just feel very sensitive to food and smells overall. It seems like soup (tortilla, lentil) is the only thing I crave, can hold down and finish completely.

I'm not feeling discouraged about my diet; if anything this transition has made me realize how out of touch I was with what I was putting in my body, but I want to be able to enjoy food again!!

Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-24-2016, 12:55 AM

You might want to look at the staples of your diet and find out if you have any deficiencies, if you are not lacking anything then my next guess would be inflammation of the GI tract. If none of the above apply I would go to a doctor because nausea like that can be caused by a bunch of things; stress, liver function, allergic reactions, ulcers just to name a few.
#3 Old 11-24-2016, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Mary. People often post here saying that they have various health problems after going vegetarian or vegan. It's really hard for us to diagnose why that would be the case. It almost certainly has nothing to do with the lack of meat in your diet, though. It could have something to do with your diet if, when going vegetarian, you reduced either your calories or your protein intake to where you're not getting enough to feel comfortable. So, you could try boosting your calories and/or your protein intake. To boost calories, just increase portion sizes. To boost protein, increase legumes (beans or lentils), or better yet, tempeh. Also try almonds and hemp seeds, or go for some of the high-protein fake meats like from Gardein, Beyond Meat, Quorn, or Field Roast.

Other than that, it's really hard to say, and you may wish to see a doctor.

I can assure you that there is nothing inherent in a veg*an diet that causes nausea. I have eaten a vegetarian, mostly vegan diet for two years and I feel healthy as a horse. There are numerous others on here who will tell you the same. In fact, it seems probable that the body doesn't even notice whether the macronutrients it's obtaining are from vegetables or meat. It's all about calories, carbs, fat, protein, fiber, etc.--not where those macronutrients came from or whether they originated in an animal's body or in a plant.

#4 Old 11-24-2016, 02:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with Dilettante's post. Of course it may not be your diet at all, but it could be after only a month.

What foods have you eaten in the last month, that you never ate before?
What foods have you eaten a lot of in the last month, that you ate only very little of before?

Do you mostly feel sick when you think about food or eat food or smell food, or do you feel sick all the time?

Seafood can cause nausea. I suggest you continue to cut it out completely for a while, and see if it makes any difference.
#5 Old 11-24-2016, 04:28 PM

Thanks all! This has been encouraging and helpful.

Kachok, I recently transferred to a university and moved out about the same time I decided to change my diet. So I think I may have underestimated the toll stress from schoolwork is taking on me, plus a shift in my diet/lifestyle, it's taking some adjusting. It could very well just be stress. I just wanted to know if any other vegetarians had experienced the same thing!

Dilettante, thanks for the suggestions with the food. I'm adding more nuts to my diet and plan on taking some dietary supplements, but I'll also try out fake meats you suggested. I'm certain it's not caused by the lack of meat. It may just be that I'm eating foods I didn't eat before and am going through the transition. I'm definitely eating less than I was before because I just find that there's less available sometimes, and I can't have some of the things I used to crave often.

Jamie, I definitely have been eating more veggies and things like mushrooms that I ate less of before. And I feel great most of the time, just food and smells are what cause a reaction. I don't get any stomach aches and I never actually get sick, I just feel the nausea come on. Any time my boyfriend eats meat around me, or anything fatty, oily or heavy, I need to ask him to move the food away so I can't smell it. I think I've just become more aware of meat and so it bothers me now.

Thanks all of you for your input! These veggie board forums are going to be my go-to moving forward.
Thalassa and Bethany Chester like this.
#6 Old 11-24-2016, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

It could be as coincidental as a virus, or food poisoning.
Any chance you could be pregnant?
Have you included foods you weren't eating or eating more of now that you're giving up meat?
Keep a journal of your food and feeling and if it doesn't improve please see your doctor
But no, it wouldn't be from giving up meat, and too soon to be a deficiency

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 11-24-2016, 06:22 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Manukyan View Post
Hey guys. So I recently (about a month ago) quit eating meat. I originally decided to be a pescatarian, and I've had fish and shrimp once or twice over the past few weeks, but more recently have just tried opting for an all vegetarian diet.

The problem is I feel nauseous all the time. Even if I'm extremely hungry, and sit down to have a good nutritious meal, about four bites in I feel like gagging and start getting nauseous. The smell of meat now makes me feel sick (which I'm ok with), but so do other things, and I just feel very sensitive to food and smells overall. It seems like soup (tortilla, lentil) is the only thing I crave, can hold down and finish completely.

I'm not feeling discouraged about my diet; if anything this transition has made me realize how out of touch I was with what I was putting in my body, but I want to be able to enjoy food again!!

Thanks in advance!

I would make an appointment with your physician. Constant nausea is a serious problem, because it can prevent you from eating enough to be healthy.

Also, a Registered Dietitian can help you to identify any deficiencies in your diet, and can also help you to identify food allergies that could be causing your nausea. You can find a local Registered Dietitian through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (http://www.eatright.org). Just click on the red "Find An Expert" button in the upper right corner of the eatright.org website.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#8 Old 11-25-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
If you are eating a lot of nuts and seeds or fermented cheeses, you might be reacting to tyramine. It gives you a headache and makes you feel sick and nauseous. It took me years to work it out! I was stuffing my face with nuts one day and got a headache within minutes, the same had happened the day before and finally the penny dropped. I cut out nuts, seeds, tea, coffee and any smelly fermented cheeses and the problem went away. Just to prove a point I have tried each 1 of those in turn again and sure enough the headache returns. There are lists online of foods to avoid but personally I can get away with eating chocolate, beer and many other foods listed so don't be put off by the lists, you may not need to avoid it all but nuts, seeds, strong coffee and stinky cheese leaves me feeling bad.

It's worth some thought anyway. If it is tyramine, the good news is you can still eat walnuts and pecans so home made muisli is an option and for meals, you're looking at lentils, chick peas, beans, tofu, quorn etc!

Good luck.
Beets&Beats likes this.
#9 Old 11-25-2016, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canny Scot View Post
If you are eating a lot of nuts and seeds or fermented cheeses, you might be reacting to tyramine. It gives you a headache and makes you feel sick and nauseous. It took me years to work it out! I was stuffing my face with nuts one day and got a headache within minutes, the same had happened the day before and finally the penny dropped. I cut out nuts, seeds, tea, coffee and any smelly fermented cheeses and the problem went away. Just to prove a point I have tried each 1 of those in turn again and sure enough the headache returns. There are lists online of foods to avoid but personally I can get away with eating chocolate, beer and many other foods listed so don't be put off by the lists, you may not need to avoid it all but nuts, seeds, strong coffee and stinky cheese leaves me feeling bad.

It's worth some thought anyway. If it is tyramine, the good news is you can still eat walnuts and pecans so home made muisli is an option and for meals, you're looking at lentils, chick peas, beans, tofu, quorn etc!

Good luck.
Glad you brought up nuts as a trigger. My son gets migranes with nausea and they were on the list as heavy possibilities for the reason you mention
Spudulika likes this.

#10 Old 02-05-2017, 11:54 AM

This makes me worried, I want to try to go full out vegetarian, but the problem is that I always feel hungry and sick. Similar to you.

As an experiment I tried going vegetarian for a week a few months back, but that ended up with me beeing hungry all the time and feeling nauseous.

I didn't eat any nuts, seeds or anything.

I hope that you found your answer somewhere. Let me know as well if you did.
#11 Old 02-05-2017, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

I will reiterate that lack of animal products alone is not a cause of nausea, or other ills.

Lack of calories, going too low fat, even a lack of salt on a whole food diet with low blood pressure (that happened to me BTW). Finding an intolerance to a new food or higher consumption of it can be a new issue. Not eating meat dairy or eggs- no
As a vegan you need to supplement B12, be sure to eat foods containing vitamin A (orange veggies in particular), get a good omega 3-6-9 or supplement algae dha (not just a veg*n issue, DHA is found in seafoods plant or animal). These needs are not deficient until several months which is whats interesting when people as who have only been without animal products for a matter of weeks. Even lacking protein doesn't show symptoms that soom. Not enough calories will affect you adversely quite soon

Here are some vegan meal plans to browse-
https://share.kaiserpermanente.org/w...et-booklet.pdf

http://www.pcrm.org/sites/default/fi...health/vsk.pdf

http://www.22daysnutrition.com/blog/...cipe-Book1.pdf

I do wonder if you're cooking things like bean and grains properly? I remember making undercooked grains when I was new to them! Not good... Or even eating too much raw? I'm miserable when I eat too much raw veggies
Spudulika and David3 like this.

#12 Old 03-01-2017, 06:18 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Thanks in advance!

Are you pregnant?
#13 Old 03-01-2017, 07:15 PM
person

Low blood sugar will do that to you (not pregnancy LOL). Some times when someone changes to veg they don't eat enough carbs or protein. My doctor recommends 5 smaller meals a day rather than 3 bigger meals.

I've been veg for years and the smell of meat still makes me feel sick.
Thalassa likes this.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk
#14 Old 03-07-2017, 10:51 AM

Me TOO!!!!

I also recently became vegetarian and was having MAJOR issues with nausea and vomiting! somebody mentioned to me that soy and soy products can be very heavily modified, so if you're eating "meat replacers" that are packed with soy, that MAY be the issue. I just cut them out of my diet and the nausea went away!

I actually just asked this question on another forum because I'm wondering if anybody has experienced similar situations.
#15 Old 03-07-2017, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMts View Post
Low blood sugar will do that to you (not pregnancy LOL). Some times when someone changes to veg they don't eat enough carbs or protein. My doctor recommends 5 smaller meals a day rather than 3 bigger meals.

I've been veg for years and the smell of meat still makes me feel sick.
That describes the early stages of my second pregnanacy quite well!
I've never had low blood sugar

#16 Old 03-12-2017, 04:45 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGreen View Post
This makes me worried, I want to try to go full out vegetarian, but the problem is that I always feel hungry and sick. Similar to you.

As an experiment I tried going vegetarian for a week a few months back, but that ended up with me beeing hungry all the time and feeling nauseous.

I didn't eat any nuts, seeds or anything.

I hope that you found your answer somewhere. Let me know as well if you did.
A week? Really? I'm sorry, but this is almost funny. The only thing you could do in a week to yourself is pretty much not eat enough. As someone mentioned, low blood sugar can make people nauseated. You probably just needed more food.

Another factor I haven't seen mentioned yet is people who binge on dairy when they remove meat. This would make almost anyone nauseated, because adults are by nature at least mildly lactose intolerant, since they aren't babies. In a person who doesn't realize it, who gets away with eating moderate amounts of dairy, might be surprised their body can't digest larger amounts of milk or cheese.

Movie theater popcorn makes me nauseated if I eat too much of it, even when it's vegan. Could be high oil content, or gmos...so also make sure you're eating non-gmo soy.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#17 Old 03-13-2017, 01:11 AM
person

Anyone feeling hungry all the time will have low blood sugar. I think that would be the most obvious cause. .... But....

too much dairy - upset liver - nausea. (However will usually include vomiting)

Might be sensitive to nuts but that wouldn't make you hungry just sick.

Try slightly smaller portions more often so you are never hungry. If it is low blood sugar you should feel better. Some people just produce more insulin than others.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk
#18 Old 05-08-2017, 02:03 PM

You aren't eating Quorn are you? It made feel really sick when i first tried a very small amount and then i was violently sick as well as struggling to breathe and itchy after i had my first proper meal with it. I had never been sick like that before.
Spudulika likes this.
#19 Old 05-10-2017, 04:11 PM

I've been a vegetarian for a year and don't believe this is because of anything your doing, or that it has anything to do with being vegetarian. But it might be, check your iron sources and if persists, I'd go to a doctor. Because that isn't normal transitional behaviour. ( coming from a person who quit meat cold turkey ) sorry for the pun

Could also be lactose/dairy build up. Once when I was a new vegetarian ate constant dairy for a few days and had about a week where I felt horrible when I ate dairy. Nausea, intense stomach aches and overall hunger. Turns out I just needed lactose intolerance pills but I just decided to cut out lactose completely for a week. Went away completely

I agree, it's usually that to compensate for lack of meat people reach to dairy. The trick is choosing meals you already enjoyed before being vegetarian that didn't have meat anyways.

Like our family chilli recipe doesn't have meat, so I believe that was my first veg meal.

Last edited by Funsized; 05-10-2017 at 04:15 PM.
#20 Old 05-10-2017, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
I second the tyramine idea because I know a fair few people who struggle with that.

Are you also eating more wheat? It's often in fake meats and if you're now eating more pastas or pies or something it all adds up.
Some peoples struggle with wheat .

Tags
feeling sick , nausea , sensitivity , vegetarian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page