Considering vegetarian - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-17-2016, 01:32 AM

Considering vegetarian

Hello everyone! Complete newbie here I guess I will just dive right into it... :

I've been thinking a lot about going vegetarian for the last two years, the main reason I haven't is because I've been bad with food in general, eating too little and just not getting what i need. Changing diet to something where I wouldn't eat certain things just didn't sound good at the time.
But now I am done thinking and ready to act! I think that if I choose a way to go with the food, and feel like I have a system, it will be easier to eat right, esp. when it is all vegetables, seeds etc, which I find way more fun to cook and eat. I rarely eat meat as it is anyway, only when I am eating out or at my parents place, so it would only be a beneficial transfer, focusing on the healthy vegetarian foods instead of the random turmoil I have going on right now.

So now I am here, going ovo-vegetarian for my health, the environment and the animals. (My family got own chickens so I feel more alright with keeping our eggs in my diet).

Along with this I am also quitting sugar and wheat (purely health reasons).

My biggest issue would probably be my kitchen, I have one plate to cook on, a tiny fridge, one freezer box and a small storage space for dry foods. I think it will work out, but I have to decide what I am going to eat, since I don't have a lot of room.

I am excited that I've finally made up my mind, that I am finally doing this. Now I just need to organize my tiny kitchen and decide what I should have in it, not too hard, right?

Edit: "considering" might have been an odd choice of word for the title, since I am already sure I will go for this!

Last edited by Maara; 09-17-2016 at 01:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-17-2016, 02:11 AM
Veggie Regular

http://www.peta.org/living/food/vega...-those-dishes/

This should help a bit.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3 Old 09-17-2016, 09:25 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maara View Post
My biggest issue would probably be my kitchen, I have one plate to cook on, a tiny fridge, one freezer box and a small storage space for dry foods. I think it will work out, but I have to decide what I am going to eat, since I don't have a lot of room.
They make all kinds of nice cooking appliances for people who don't have regular stoves. Have you seen these?

Electric soup kettle:

Plug-in tabletop stove:

Rice cooker:

_________
"Users tend to aggregate in communities of interest, which causes reinforcement and fosters confirmation bias, segregation, and polarization. This comes at the expense of the quality of the information and leads to proliferation of biased narratives fomented by unsubstantiated rumors, mistrust, and paranoia."

- "The Spreading of Misinformation Online", from the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, December 2015

Last edited by David3; 09-17-2016 at 09:31 AM.

#4 Old 09-17-2016, 09:29 AM
Vegan since 1991

For about 10 years, I only had a very small refrigerator (for environmental reasons, I was doing everything possible to minimize my electricity consumption). The refrigerator only had enough space for one large pot and one small pot, and a few smaller things. I became an expert in 1-pot and 2-pot dishes, like soup, stew, boiled grains with sauce, and beans/rice. I also made a lot of sandwiches. I was healthy during that whole time; I rode my bicycle everywhere. It worked out fine!

_________
"Users tend to aggregate in communities of interest, which causes reinforcement and fosters confirmation bias, segregation, and polarization. This comes at the expense of the quality of the information and leads to proliferation of biased narratives fomented by unsubstantiated rumors, mistrust, and paranoia."

- "The Spreading of Misinformation Online", from the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, December 2015

Last edited by David3; 09-17-2016 at 09:33 AM.
#5 Old 09-18-2016, 12:25 AM

Thank you all for the tips, links and wise words!

I don't think the fridge will be that much of a problem, I just have to figure out what to have in it, if most of it will be veggies I could put them on top of each other I guess.

I have been very unsure about buying extra things to cook on since that would take up all the other space I have in the "kitchen", so no space to prepare food on, chop food etc. I don't know where I should store it either, since I have filled the bottom cabinet (I have a total of two cabinets) with everything to make the second cabinet empty so that I could use it for dry and canned foods.
I think I will have to make the most of that I already have, and I don't think it should be too difficult, I do have an electric kettle that I maybe could use somehow, I will look into it.

Thank you again!
#6 Old 09-18-2016, 05:14 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:

I have been very unsure about buying extra things to cook on since that would take up all the other space I have in the "kitchen", so no space to prepare food on, chop food etc. I don't know where I should store it either, since I have filled the bottom cabinet (I have a total of two cabinets) with everything to make the second cabinet empty so that I could use it for dry and canned foods.
I think I will have to make the most of that I already have, and I don't think it should be too difficult, I do have an electric kettle that I maybe could use somehow, I will look into it.

Thank you again!

As you already mentioned: Canned / jarred foods and condiments can be your friends. They require no chopping / cutting, no initial refrigeration, and they are quick to heat up. When I was single, I always kept these kinds of canned / jarred foods in my kitchen:

Vegetarian chili (available at any large supermarket)
Vegetarian Mexican refried beans
No-salt black beans
No-salt corn
Lentil or bean soup
Olives
No-oil spaghetti sauce
Salsa
Mustard
Peanut butter

After opening the cans / jars, you will (of course) need to refrigerate the leftover portion.

Ready-to-eat bread/cereal foods are also useful: things like whole-grain bread, whole-wheat pita, lard-free whole-wheat tortillas, and whole-grain breakfast cereal. These require no preparation, no refrigeration, and are healthy. Just be sure to choose them with minimal added sugar/oil.

_________

Last edited by David3; 09-18-2016 at 05:36 PM.
#7 Old 09-18-2016, 05:42 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
I do have an electric kettle that I maybe could use somehow, I will look into it.
!

Some quick-cooking grains can be cooked without a stove, just by putting the grains into a bowl, pouring hot water over them (from your electric kettle), and then covering the bowl until the grains soak up the hot water. Instant oatmeal and "bulgur" wheat can be prepared this way. Either of these grains can be the center of a delicious meal.

_________

Last edited by David3; 09-18-2016 at 06:48 PM.
#8 Old 09-22-2016, 01:58 PM

Thank you for the tips! I will look more into them
#9 Old 09-22-2016, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

@Maara -if you have a Aldi I just saw they have their own brand of electric pressure cooker/slow cooker/rice cooker/steamer for like $40.00. It's six quarts. I've gotten a number of their 'knock off' brands and have been super happy with them! I've been thinking I'd get an Instapot at black friday prices but I'll wait and check out that one

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page