• 2 Post By Phil1
  • 1 Post By Ember Ruby
  • 1 Post By likewater
  • 2 Post By tfvc.org
  • 1 Post By veggie man
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 02-29-2016, 06:35 AM

Please give me some tips!

Hi~ I'm a 15 year old girl who wants to become a vegan. I thought I should be a vegetarian tirst and become vegan later to not give too much stress to my body.

I stopped eating meat completely but my mom is trying to feed me fish or seafood all the time saying I need protein. I keep arguing that beans are full or protein and etc but she doesn't listen to me. What should I do?

Plus, I'm at a highschool with dorms. (I live in the dormitory on weekdays and go home on weekends) Our school serves meals with meat, meat, and meat (with high fat) and I have no other options of food. At this point of my life, I don't like the taste of meat and I don't want to eat it. The problem is I don't have anyting except rice and dried beans I took from home at school. What should I do?

P.S. English is not my first language.. so please understand if there are some mistakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-29-2016, 06:55 AM

I'd definitely try to be vegetarian first if I were you, especially in the circumstances you mentioned.

Since you encountered some opposition already, I suggest you take up cooking as a hobby. It takes some time and effort to get the hang of it, and you'll have to spend some more time finding decent recipes as well (the "Recipes" section here is probably a good starting point). But you'll see that for most dishes, the ingredients are quite common, and the key lies in the spices and sauces you use. The can provide a wide variety of possibilities.

In any case, don't let anybody get you down for this.
#3 Old 02-29-2016, 09:18 AM

I am actually in a similar situation to you - I'm a 15 year old girl who is vegetarian but wants to become vegan (my parents will not let me, however).

As for your mother trying to feed you fish for protein, I would suggest explaining amino acids and complete proteins to her, to show you know what you're talking about. That's what I generally do when anyone asks about protein. This is a good article about complete proteins in case you're not quite sure how to explain it: http://greatist.com/health/complete-vegetarian-proteins

And I second Phil1. Cooking your own food would be extremely useful.
Purp likes this.

#4 Old 02-29-2016, 02:35 PM

Thanks;; I'll try to cook for myself (at least while I'm at home).
I researched the internet and found some awesome recepies which are either vegan or vegetarian!
I'm glad to cook! This will be a new start for me~
Purp likes this.
#5 Old 02-29-2016, 03:33 PM
Semi-lurker

Check out vrg.or a great website for you and your parents. http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php will give you great sources of protien for example. Show her that and she may start cooking using those ingredients instead.
Purp and skinnieminnie like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Videos, recipes, tips, and techniques.

#6 Old 02-29-2016, 08:41 PM
Beginner

I just wanted to say that your English is excellent.

Good luck with your diet. Carrying bags of nuts to supplement meals with plant protein is one tactic!
Purp likes this.
#7 Old 03-01-2016, 02:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfvc.org View Post
Check out vrg.or a great website for you and your parents. http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php will give you great sources of protien for example. Show her that and she may start cooking using those ingredients instead.
I second this resource! They have many educational resources on their site, and they also publish a magazine called the "Vegetarian Journal" which is actually a vegan magazine. I like their article on vegan protein sources:

https://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php

I would print these articles and show them to your family.

Another great resource:

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/

The above is a database where you can do a food search and type any food you want. Try typing in tofu. Then click on the "full report" link towards the top middle of the page (not just the summary). Scroll to the bottom of the list of nutrient information and find "amino acid profile". It will give the amounts of all the essential amino acids each food contains. Almost every plant food has nearly all of these essential amino acids to some degree. It is a myth that only meat can provide them all.

If you are healthy, eating enough plant food and eating a good variety, it will be easier to show your family that you don't need fish or other meat for protein. Also, have you explained to them why you want to be vegan? How important it is to you? I went through this stuff with my partner when I first went vegan, and he would mock me and dismiss my viewpoint. I called him out on disrespecting my wishes and finally threatened to leave him. He finally stopped being disrespectful the more he learned about veganism and about animal abuse etc. It does take time for some people to come around. I think your family does care about you and want what is best, they just do not understand that a plant based diet can provide everything you need. I hope you will continue to stand your ground and embrace your plant based diet, and provide your parents with the tools to educate them! If they are not interested, that is their problem then. You can still refuse to eat the fish and other meat they are trying to feed you.
Purp likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

Tags
parents , school , teen , Vegan , vegetarian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page