Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By jessandreia
  • 2 Post By Poppy

#1 Old 02-18-2016, 12:53 PM
MissTJod

Red face not big on cheese!

Hey everyone!
I've recently been interested in becoming a vegetarian, so I'm just getting all my facts straight before I jump in. However, a lot (the majority) of recipes I've come across have cheese in but I dont like cheese
Are there many alternatives to cheese? or would I just need to make sure I take a supplement to compensate for this? THANKYOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-18-2016, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Google 'Vegan recipes' instead of 'vegetarian..'. And no, you won't need to take a supplement to compensate for not eating cheese.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3 Old 02-18-2016, 01:49 PM
Ankle Biter

There are a few decent vegan substitutes available, but I second jessandreia - look for vegan recipes. What kinds of food do you like?
David3 and misstjod like this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore

#4 Old 02-18-2016, 07:51 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by misstjod View Post
Hey everyone!
I've recently been interested in becoming a vegetarian, so I'm just getting all my facts straight before I jump in. However, a lot (the majority) of recipes I've come across have cheese in but I dont like cheese
Are there many alternatives to cheese? or would I just need to make sure I take a supplement to compensate for this? THANKYOU!
Hi MissTJod,

No need to eat cheese. Cheese is extremely high in saturated fat, and so is not a good choice anyway. 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese contains 119% of the maximum recommended daily intake of saturated fat: http://www.calorieking.com/foods/cal...lkPTEwMDk.html

Mercy For Animals has a beautifully-written Vegetarian Starter Guide. It summarizes vegetarian nutrition on page 7, and shows very easy meal ideas on pages 11-13: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#5 Old 02-18-2016, 09:46 PM
Veggie Recycler

If you don't like cheese, this is not a problem. Except you may think, where will I get my protein?

Nuts/nut butters
Beans and lentils
Tofu
Veggie burgers or mock meats
Hemp or hemp milk
Soy milk
Quinoa

Also surprising sources like whole grains and avacado, can add a little more protein, for example if you don't want beans or peanut butter, and have no other options due to budget or neglecting shopping, you can have an avacado and tomato sandwich on whole grain bread. You won't die.

Transitioning to vegan might be fairly easy for you unless you love eggs (and that's OK too if you just want to be vegetarian).
#6 Old 02-19-2016, 01:44 AM
Veggie Regular

No need to supplement anything for cheese, especially if you don't like the stuff. Just go for beanburgers, veggie and lentil stews, wraps, grain salads, pasta with sauce, nut roasts. Loads of stuff you can eat. Agree with the others, look for vegan recipes and you will find loads of recipes that don't need cheese.
#7 Old 02-19-2016, 02:02 AM
Veggie Regular

If you are concerned about getting enough calcium without cheese or dairy in general, there are many plant sources of calcium, and fortified foods. There are a ton of plant milks out there now. The most commonly found is soy milk, followed by almond milk. Others include rice milk, hemp milk, oat milk, coconut milk. Some types of leafy greens with a low oxylate content (oxylates block absorption of calcium) are very high in calcium such as collard greens, kale, bok choy, broccoli. They are great in salads, smoothies, soups, sandwiches, casseroles, even as wraps. White beans, sesame seeds, chia seeds, blackstrap molasses, figs, and fortified foods such as energy bars, dairy free yogurts, and some orange juices are good sources of calcium also.

I like to use hummus on top of homemade pizza in place of cheese. But on occasion I use Daiya nondairy "cheese" shreds or slices. I have also made my own "cheese" sauce to go over baked potatoes by blending a steamed sweet potato, tofu, a little bit of nutritional yeast, some almond milk, and spices. It is rich, creamy, and nutritious! Nutritional yeast is an inactivated form of yeast that has a nutty cheesy like flavor to it and works for making "cheese" types of dishes. It does not taste just like cheese but is very good in it's own way. There are also nut based cheeses out there but they tend to be more expensive. I have made my own nut based cheese.

Once you begin to explore all the possibilities of a plant based diet, you won't miss cheese at all! There are just so many cookbooks and blogs out there full of recipes and ideas that do not include cheese! Check out Post Punk Kitchen, or Oh She Glows, or Vegan Dad, or VegWeb. Check out your local library for vegetarian and vegan cookbooks. Vegetarian cookbooks often include dairy in them, but not always. There is a site called "Dairy Free Cooking" online that includes dishes and recipes with eggs but not dairy if that is something you are looking at.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 02-23-2016, 05:00 AM
Ms.

Cheese are great source of protein, but if you don't link eating chesse then there are many options available like eggs, beans, green veggies, lentils etc. which are not only full of protein but are easier to digest.
#9 Old 02-23-2016, 12:57 PM
MissTJod

Thumbs up Thankyou!

Wow!! I'm so blown away by how helpful everyone is, giving me links and website ideas and direct advice. <3
Thank you so much to every one of your replies, you've all been super helpful! i'm so glad I joined Veggieboards
Thank you for all the ideas and advice I'll definitely be trying some soya based products, as well as, lentils, nuts, beans and everything else!
I am now one happy veggie bunny haha!
(one day into my new veggie life and I'm loving it, I feel satisfied and just healthier!)
#10 Old 02-28-2016, 03:56 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misstjod View Post
Hey everyone!
You have it made!!!

I had a huge hangup about cheese. It was the thing holding me back from being vegan vs. veg*n. It took almost a year. There are chemicals in cheese that are addictive. If you don't like cheese, don't look for an alternative.....just go without it!!

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.

Tags
cheese , protein , supplement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page