Almond Milk & Oranges. What else? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Purp
  • 2 Post By VeggieSince88
  • 1 Post By Werewolf Girl

#1 Old 01-17-2016, 05:27 PM

Red face Almond Milk & Oranges. What else?

I've actually been drinking almond milk for a while because it tastes better than dairy milk. Almost always Vanilla. My friend says nuts are a good source of protein. Is this true? I'm concerned with essentials over gluttony. I hear berries are good for deppression. I just read in another thread that grains go a long way so that is something I plan on doing as well.

What else am I missing for a balanced diet?

I plan on buying a book on foraging for a back packing trip soon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-17-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Even though almonds are a good source of protein, almond milk is not.
Quote:
Soybeans and soy milk are a good source of protein
http://www.healthline.com/health/mil...cow-soy-rice#3

#3 Old 01-18-2016, 03:02 AM
Veggie Regular

If you can learn to make your own energy bars, these are great for backpacking trips! I like to use this formula:

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/homemad...gy-bar-recipe/

Invest in a portable one pot stove for backpacking and you can make oatmeal, cream of wheat, vegan bannock, red lentils and sundried tomatoes and more on the trail! But even if you can't afford a stove, you can get by. I get these little peanut butter individual packets from grocery stores that is called Justin's (they make peanut butter and almond butter). I am not crazy about them due to the palm oil, so I have also ordered bulk peanut butter individual packets online at Amazon.com called "Wild Friends Unnatural" that is straight up peanut/nut butter without palm oil or other stuff. I add it to a tortilla, roll up the tortilla and eat it as a snack on the trail. Sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds with shell on are great too! And nothing beats fresh fruits. Most will keep for days on the trail. Dried fruit keeps much longer, but of course it is more expensive.

Whole grains are also good sources of protein. Couscous is cheap and cooks quickly, as do oats. Brown rice has good protein and is very cheap.

Leafy greens and broccoli are protein sources in smaller amounts but have other nutrients like iron, magnesium, calcium.

Beans are your best bet, especially lentils.

Nuts are very high in fat and not as good a source of protein, but they are decent. Choose whole almonds or walnuts (high in omega 3 ALA). They are not cheap though. Seeds tend to be slightly lower in fat and higher protein and are a little cheaper, especially if you buy them with the shell on.
skinnieminnie likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#4 Old 01-18-2016, 03:11 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

For almond milk it is cheaper and healthier to take some almonds and drink water.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#5 Old 01-18-2016, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Also, visit your friendly neighborhood farmer's market and produce aisle.
LedBoots likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#6 Old 01-27-2016, 12:00 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
I've actually been drinking almond milk for a while because it tastes better than dairy milk. Almost always Vanilla. My friend says nuts are a good source of protein. Is this true? I'm concerned with essentials over gluttony. I hear berries are good for deppression. I just read in another thread that grains go a long way so that is something I plan on doing as well.

What else am I missing for a balanced diet?
Unfortunately, there's no way to answer that with the very limited information you've provided.

As you're probably aware, a vegetarian or vegan diet can easily provide all the nutrients one needs. If you'd like to expand a bit on what a typical day's diet consists of, then perhaps someone(s) will offer up ideas on what's lacking.
Purp and TGreene like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 01-27-2016, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Doug! Here is a veggie diet pyramid to give you an idea of what a healthy vegetarian diet looks like: http://www.veggieboards.com/index.ph...n-diet-pyramid

Also here are some of our best tips from VB members for new vegetarians: http://www.veggieboards.com/index.ph...boards-members

Hope that helps!
LedBoots likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#8 Old 01-31-2016, 06:03 PM
Vegan since 1991

Hi Doug,

Here is a beautifully-illustrated Vegetarian (actually vegan) Starter Guide. On page 7, it neatly summarizes vegan nutrition. On pages 11-13, it shows very easy vegan meal ideas: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#9 Old 02-01-2016, 02:19 AM

Lightbulb

Hello,
Thanks for sharing this starter guide. Found some new meal plan which I can add to my list. Egg-Free Baking, I will surely try it.

Tags
balanced diet , dairy free , protein , replacement , substitute

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page