VeggieBoards banner

Becoming a vegetarian? ??

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  shellie 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm 17 years old and I want to become a vegetarian. Problems which are holding me back are my family who are against it. I don't know anybody who is vegetarian. I am willing to cook by myself although I'm not very good in cooking (practice makes perfection, right? ). All in all I am just confused and I don't know how to become a vegetarian actually how to stay one. Should I wait until I graduate and move out?

#2 ·
Hi and welcome to VB!

You could talk to your family about vegetarian food options and perhaps help select things when grocery shopping.

Do your family have any specific concerns? If they are concerned about health issues, then you can assure them that a vegetarian diet is perfectly healthy and accepted as such by the global healthcare community.

Best of luck with everything :)

:bobo:

Reactions: Nina2712
#4 ·
Hi Nina! I became a vegetarian at 18 and have been going strong for 11 years now. It's very doable. I started learning how to cook at 16 (mostly meat) and by the time I was about 20, I was really good at it. Do you work? Can you drive? I find meat substitutes to be very helpful during transitions, especially if you're still eating meals with your family. When my family cooks burgers, I could just thaw and cook my own veggie patty. When they had tacos, I could use beans, lentils, or a soy substitute in place.

#6 ·
A vegetarian diet has been linked to a lower risk of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. You shouldn't have to supplement if you're eating a balanced diet. While Oreos and Coke are vegetarian, they are not healthy :p I don't supplement B12 or Iron and my levels are normal. You can also take a multi-vitamin if you want just in case (even meat eaters do it), but you may not need it. Welcome to VB! I hope you stick around!

#8 ·
I would supplement the b12, or eat foods which are fortified with it.

What kind of foods do you like to eat now? We may be able to give some cooking suggestions (without meat). Be sure to offer to help your parents in the kitchen, with the shopping, etc., even if you aren't a good cook. That will help you learn how to cook and it will also show your parents you are willing to take responsibility for your own food choices.

#9 ·
Should I wait until I graduate and move out?
I would expect it would be easier to do it now. Even if your family isnt supportive, they still might be helpful in general cooking advice. When living in a group theres less other stuff cluttering up your day. And you'll just have more room to make mistakes.
When living on your own you'll likely be more busy and more stressed, theres less room to rapidly learn and change fundamentals like diet.
Cooking is a very important skill. I've seen many people who didnt learn to cook before moving out on their own, and then just got too busy with life and ended up living on fast food and junk for year after year, decade after decade. Learn cooking now so its easy later.

#11 ·
That's going to depend on your family and friends. Are they willing to respect your choice of being vegetarian? When eating out, are they willing to go to restaurants that have some decent vegetarian food? Are they pressuring you to eat meat?

#14 ·
Hi Nina2712 and welcome! I think it is great that you want to become vegetarian! I didn't move to a veg*n lifestyle until I was in my late thirties. I am always excited when younger people take an interest!

I'm not sure if you have already seen the links I am going to share, but in case not, I thought they might be helpful in your transition and also to show your parents so they don't worry about your health and they see that being a teen vegetarian is perfectly fine!

http://www.vrg.org/family/kidsindex.htm
http://www.vrg.org/teen/veg_in_high_school_estes-garcia.php
http://vegetariannutrition.net/vegetarian-teens/

#17 ·
When you notify your school teachers try to be patient with their questioning (do you eat chicken, what about fish, do you eat eggs or dairy?) Some people claim to be vegetarian although they still consume fish or chicken, giving people the mistaken idea that vegetarians eat those things. And not everyone knows the difference between a vegetarian and a vegan. So if they're asking questions they are trying to be thorough and make sure they have food for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.