VeggieBoards banner

Starting over with a new thread!

5K views 44 replies 12 participants last post by  Werewolf Girl 
#1 · (Edited)
My first post here I think I was asking fir waaaaay toooo much with to little information. So, I'm 69 years old, 5' 9" tall, my weight varies between 185lbs. to 190lbs, and the love of my life (my wife0:)) and I have been married for 21 years. My new doctor has been running a lot of tests to establish a baseline for me (I had not been to a doctor in 15 years) and told me that I'm in great shape for my age! When I retired 14 years ago my weight varied between 170lbs. to 180lbs. I quit smoking 8 months after I retired and my weight went up to 207lbs. (my waist when from 32" to 36"). Before retirement, I did a lot of climbing in the building steel during installations as well as heavy lifting. ...About 18 years ago, I quit using table salt and sugar to flavor my food. About 3 years ago, I gave up my snack crackers (4 boxes) and my snack chips (3 bags) as well as cola soft drinks (gallons:laugh:), and we joined a family fitness center (and my waist is 33")! ...My wife decided a few months ago she needs to loose weight and would like to stop eating mammal meat. So, I've decided to eat the same foods that she eats (I love her and I'm not wanting to cause her any stress during her quest!). ...In a previous post here, I said I wanted my new foods to taste better and to not let me feel hungry after only one hour! I told myself to man up and except that fact that the food just tastes DIFFERENT and not bad (maybe a little more bland), and that I'm not hungry after eating (because my WEIGHT HAS NOT CHANGED!). ...SO, I'm sorry for the long post and I don't think I need answers as much as I need support with this change in my wife!

Doug

See less See more
#5 ·
mecanna, thanks for replying! Yes, I've been looking through Recipe posts as well as General Health, Physical Fitness, Local Forums, and even Composting! Mostly though, I've been looking up all the different words (like some of the spice additives, etc.) that I have never heard of before. So far, we have found some veggie meat substitutes that aren't all that bad (actually they're pretty darned good). I just needed to wrap my arms around this new direction I'm headind in. Thanks again.

Doug

#6 ·
It takes a while to learn the ropes. Stick with it. Herbs and spices are amazing. There's a whole universe of good food out there! Welcome aboard, Doug!

Just curious- which brands of the meat substitutes are you liking?

#7 · (Edited)
Capstan, thanks for replying! So far, for our burgers, hotdogs, and sausage patties we're eating " Morning Star Farms " veggie meat substitutes. Today we tried " gardein" ultimate meat free, gluten free, 84% less fat, beefless ground in our Chili and it tasted almost identical to our old recipe. ...They aren't "meat" but they are pretty darned good for what they are!

Doug

#9 ·
shellie, thanks for replying! As you said, we'll find some things we'll like. My wife was a short order cook many years ago and she is SO good at throwing food goods into a pot and have it tasting fantastic! ... I feel I have my fathers eating thought: "if you need to add a bunch of stuff to the food (at the table) you just got done cooking, the recipe needs more work!" (I did quit using table salt and sugar 18 years ago!).

Doug

#10 ·
Congratulations (again) on making this switch! And good on you for being so supportive of your wife.

I wish my parents would do something like that.....

I've heard that "Never Too Late To Go Vegan" is a great book for the over 50's crowd, if you're looking to do some reading. I haven't read it. But I'm so tempted to get it for my partner's mother and my mother and everyone I know over 50!

Most importantly though, just realise that it's not always an easy transition. It's about getting out of habits we've been in for years and years. But you can do it. If you slip up, dust yourself off and try again.

#11 ·
Reactions: oldtinsmith
#12 ·
Hi there :hi:

Good luck with your veg*an journey and check out the site for recipe advice and suggestions :)

:bobo:

#13 ·
Friends, I MUST share with you an update! My wife and I have been eating spaghetti squash for a couple of years and I have found it good tasting,,,,,,,not back flip good,,,,but good none the less. So, here's the update! We decided to try some "meatless" meatballs (gardein classic) with our spaghetti squash today! We cut the squash in half lengthwise baked at 375* for 50 minutes, scraped the "spaghetti" from the shell halves, defrosted meat balls and the spaghetti squash were added to spaghetti sauce and then heated. Then, the meat balls and spaghetti squash was poured back into the spaghetti squash shells and baked an additional 15 minutes. ... WOW! Talk about fantastic tasting! ... Next time, we're going to try a little Italian seasoning on the meatballs (just to see if we'll like it even more)! ... Well, that's my update.

Doug

#16 ·
I've been doing research on nutrition and looked at the Mayo Clinic site, which led me to this site. It's about aging people and their needed nutrition requirements ( I'm only 69 years old, but will need this in the years to come LOL!).
http://www.asyouage.com/Vegetarian_Diet_Chart.html
Just another up date in my transitioning to a Vegetarian lifestyle.

Doug

#17 · (Edited)

Tried something new today.

latest transitional update

We love Zatarain Dirty Rice, but don't care much for the sodium or the plain white rice.

Dirty Rice Recipe
1 lb. Ground Meat (used Gardein Brand Ground Meat Substitute)
4 cups cooked long grain Brown Rice (used Uncle Ben's)
2 tbsp. Creole Seasoning (used Zatarain's)
1/2 Sweet Bell Pepper chopped
1/2 Sweet Onion chopped
1 tbsp. Minced Garlic
3 tbsp. of Butter
3 tbsp. Green Onions chopped
In a large pot, saute the veggies in the butter until softened. Add meat substitute. Brown as directed. Add spice. Stir. Add cooked rice and green onions, warm through.

I will have to cut the Creole Spice down to 1 tablespoon because I thought this recipe was just a tiny bit too spicy ( I don't like spicy food AT ALL!).

Doug

#20 ·
Thanks for the link to that diet chart, Doug. That's really helpful! :up:

#21 ·
Tried some "coney-dogs" today!
Meatless Coney Sauce Recipe
3 Tablespoons Butter
12 ounce package of Boca Veggie Crumbles
1 medium Onion, chopped
1 teaspoon crushed Garlic
1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Dry Mustard
3 ounces Tomato Sauce
3 ounces Water
2 ground up MorningStar Veggie Dogs
Salt and pepper to taste
Spoon over boiled Veggie Dogs.
Add Minced Onion, Prepared Mustard
& Grated Cheddar Cheese as desired.

Doug

#25 ·
Tried some "coney-dogs" today!
Meatless Coney Sauce Recipe
3 Tablespoons Butter
12 ounce package of Boca Veggie Crumbles
1 medium Onion, chopped
1 teaspoon crushed Garlic
1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Dry Mustard
3 ounces Tomato Sauce
3 ounces Water
2 ground up MorningStar Veggie Dogs
Salt and pepper to taste
Spoon over boiled Veggie Dogs.
Add Minced Onion, Prepared Mustard
& Grated Cheddar Cheese as desired.

Doug
Have you tried carrot dogs @oldtinsmith? I haven't tried them, but I've heard they are good.

#22 ·
I know it has been about a year since I last posted on the site. I will just say "life happens"! My wife and I have NOT fallen off our vegetarian style eating. I just over ate because our eating style was Not satisfying me (that's my story and I'm sticking to it! LOL.) My weight went back up over 200 pounds (201.8lbs.) and I thought to myself, enough is enough!!! I heard good things about the Nutrisystem, and started on Feb. 23, 2016........So, today I'm down to 178.8 lbs..........The system I'm on is Nutrisystem's Vegetarian for men. THE FOOD IS GREAT!!! Three meals and three snacks a day. ... Just thought I should check in.

Doug

#27 ·
It's a roasted carrot in a hot dog bun with condiments
I usually refrain from making derogatory comments on food-- but I think that's so completely ludricous I can't hold back--and I love roasted carrots.

I made a stew with rainbow carrots once. The dark red carrots looked so much like sausage, or hot dog, I had to take one out to prove it wasn't a sausage piece. I never bought them again...

#28 ·
I will be joining the weight loss folks here!
I'd gained at least 15 pounds from last summer (already overweight then) and had been eating out stress, having loads of anxiety, asthma, and finding things like yoga very uncomfortable due to my stomach pushing into my lungs.
The last couple weeks I haven't been able to discern if my discomfort was more than anxiety. This morning I got to work, felt that pressure in my chest, googled the vague symptoms of a womens heart attack, had my supervisor tell me about how ignoring symptoms led to a emergency catheter----and I went to the ER. I had two ekgs because during the first I said I felt fine and they said to let them know if my pain back to do another. I had bloodwork for enzymes, i had Xrays---I'm fine.

Anyway, I'm now having anxiety over what this is going to cost me more than I had before. I so blame the eating and weight.
How the heck can anyone know when to be checked? The symptoms are identical to panic attacks, which I've always known to be-- panic attacks

#36 ·
It is difficult to know, and you did the right thing getting checked. The same thing happened to me about 6 months ago, chest pain would not go away, so I went to the ER, had a slightly abnormal EKG, and was admitted for the night. The thing that still concerns me is that the nitroglycerin they gave me stopped the pain. But luckily my DEXA scans were normal, stress test normal, went home in the AM. I have panic attacks too, this was different, I thought, but I guess stress related. I am less worried about my heart after the testing. My mom had a major heart attack younger than I am now, so it has always freaked me out.

Anyway, this RN couldn't tell a heart attack from a hole in the ground, apparently! [emoji23]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.