• 3 Post By runnerveggie
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Vegan Dave
  • 2 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By imagineaa
  • 2 Post By Jasminedesi16

#1 Old 04-07-2015, 12:51 PM

Meat Withdrawls

I went vegetarian a couple years ago for about a month and had no mental or physical energy. I went vegetarian again and the very first day I saw it happening again.. I took b12, b complex, ate cheese to see if it was the cholesterol..nothing fixed it.
Could it be the Iron?
I'm confused that if I'm getting enough veggies, protein, carbs, etc then why am I feeling like this..
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-07-2015, 12:55 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

You may not be eating enough calories.

What is a typical day of meals for you?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 04-07-2015, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

No vitamin deficiency could develop on your very first day. Could it be psychological?

#4 Old 04-07-2015, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with the posts above. It's either lack of calories or psychological due to it having gone wrong the first time. Post what you eat in a day. That will help us help you.
By the way, cholesterol that comes from animal sources is bad cholesterol and cheese is quite unhealthy, and your cholesterol wouldn't drop much at all in a day anyway.
River, David3 and no whey jose like this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#5 Old 04-07-2015, 06:48 PM

You're probably craving oil and salt from the meat, and diary doesn't fix it. It's like going through withdrawal from coffee. Your body is so used to the salt and oil that it wants it. Eat more carbs to fill in the calories, such as fruits, vegetables, starches like corn, rice, beans, or oats (don't rely on dairy!).
#6 Old 04-07-2015, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Make sure you are getting enough calories and protein. Keep a clif bar or other source of protein with you in case you end up a bit hungry. Try some faux meats to help fill you up and replace the flavor and texture of meat. Check out theveganrd.com and veganhealth.org to make sure your diet is nutritionally complete long term. B12 supplements are definitely required, but beware of "B complex" as too much B6 can actually be harmful and vegetarians actually get plenty of B vitamins other than B12 from plant sources.

If that doesn't help and you are still having problems after one day without meat, I'm sorry to say but the most likely cause is psychological. I am not aware of any scientifically proven "withdrawal" from meat or any animal product. You can do this -- just think of the animals that won't have to suffer and die for your food.
#7 Old 04-08-2015, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileyface3364 View Post
You're probably craving oil and salt from the meat, and diary doesn't fix it. It's like going through withdrawal from coffee. Your body is so used to the salt and oil that it wants it. Eat more carbs to fill in the calories, such as fruits, vegetables, starches like corn, rice, beans, or oats (don't rely on dairy!).
I know we shouldn't promote junk foods, but, this so reminded me of my early vegan days. Cheese most certainly did fix any and all craving, so I really wanted a replacement- and it's name is Fritos. Fritos were my go-to snack that kept from caving in to cheese.
They're also really filling and available anywhere.
Tom likes this.
#8 Old 04-08-2015, 04:49 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

You say that you're getting enough protein, carbs, etc, so I don't know why you would feel so run-down. It may be you're not eating enough, but eating too much is also possible, even on a vegan diet. Unless you give us more info about how much of what you're eating, we can't really say.

As others have mentioned above, there's no vitamin deficiency that could develop this quickly- so we can pretty much rule that out, at least.

I won't deny there can be stubborn psychological/habitual cravings for meat, etc, but even that shouldn't make you feel physically weak.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#9 Old 04-09-2015, 06:00 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

After I went veg*n, I got extensive blood work.....to make sure I had enough protien, iron, B12, etc. Maybe give that a shot, and talk to a dietitian about calorie intake, etc.

GOOD LUCK
Jasminedesi16 likes this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#10 Old 04-09-2015, 08:11 AM
what is a user title ...

That's what I just did too^ my doc checked my folic acid, b12, vit d, and iron levels. I just found out I'm anemic yesterday. I don't think it's just from the vegan thing to be honest but that prob isn't helping. So I am trying out raw iron. You should see if you're lacking specific things with some blood work, you never know what it could be.

If things look weird, it's because this was... Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
#11 Old 04-09-2015, 10:49 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Eat moar food! Vegan food is low in calories, so eat more, people!
veggie man and David3 like this.
#12 Old 04-11-2015, 08:20 PM
Beanitarian

Put your intake into a food calculator. It will tell you what you need to improve.

"Withdrawals" is a misnomer in this sense.
veggie man likes this.

Beanitarian.
#13 Old 04-12-2015, 02:20 PM

I've been a consistent vegetarian for a year straight with no loss in energy although I do take a multivitamin just like I have all of my life. A single day will not derail any diet anyways so that's unlikely.

I'm a 5'10'', 170lb guy so I'm normal sized yet I eat around 1000 calories solid food and 1000 calories in drinks and do fine with no weight gain or loss with a moderately active lifestyle.

Seriously though, I can't recall many energy differences between a meat or plant based diet, I've noticed a massive skin improvement on the plant based diet as well as maybe a mild energy improvement (in spurts) but that's it. No negatives towards the plant diet at all and only positives, a B12, Iron, etc deficiency won't happen for at least a month anyways I believe after it starts becoming as such.

Give it a solid 1-3 month attempt at the minimum before reporting results.
#14 Old 04-22-2015, 05:31 AM
Beginner

Probably not eating enough I haven't had that problem. Are you just eating Vegetables and no starches? Starches are very important and should take up half your plate.
#15 Old 04-22-2015, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I think you maybe need to eat more and that you aren't getting enough calories. Your body wouldn't automatically become deficient in something in the first couple of days.
River and LedBoots like this.

Tags
iron , meat , supplements , withdrawl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page