• 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 2 Post By Capstan
  • 1 Post By sonnymoore
  • 2 Post By LedBoots

#1 Old 03-13-2015, 10:53 AM
Foodie

Nuts and Seeds - The staples that should be in your pantry

Hi Everyone,

I just finished putting together an article on the nuts and seeds I have in my pantry. The article describes what they are, with pictures, and their nutritional value and benefits. I think this is a must read for anyone who is transitioning into a vegetarian or vegan diet.

Here is the link: http://www.glutenfreeveganpantry.com...uts-and-seeds/

Thanks for reading and please let me know what you have in your pantry, I'd love to hear it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gluten-Free-Vegan-Pantry-Nuts-Seeds-Edition.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	753.2 KB
ID:	7578  

Check out my food blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-13-2015, 09:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Currently we have sunflower seeds, walnuts, hemp hearts, almonds, and cashews at home.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3 Old 03-13-2015, 09:52 PM
Vegan since 1991

The article and photos are nicely put together.

Could you double-check the article's statements about almonds being an excellent source of potassium? Although one cup of almonds contains 29% RDI of potassium, it also contains 824 calories!: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/3087/2 . A better source of potassium might be potatoes - a large baked potato contains 46% RDI of potassium, and only 278 calories: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2770/2 .

#4 Old 03-14-2015, 03:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I regularly eat/use pumpkin seeds, flaxseeds, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, walnuts, and brazil nuts (great source of selenium). On occasion I use sesame seeds. Cashews are a rare treat (hard on my stomach) as are pistachios. I only consume a few tablespoons to a 1/4 cup per day of nuts/seeds though, sometimes a little less or more. Right now I have chia, flaxseed, sunflower seeds, and brazil nuts in my pantry.

There are many ways to incorporate nuts/seeds in the diet besides just consuming them directly too. I use almonds to make homemade vegan mayonnaise or grind them into a flour for baking/cooking. I also use either almonds or sunflower seeds ground up with garlic powder and nutritional yeast or other spices for vegan "parmesan" to go over pasta or other dishes. Chia seeds can be used for baking or to make puddings. I have also used just flaxseeds, dates, and water to make a frothy creamy homemade flaxseed milk in my high speed blender. I add calcium powder and vitamin D drops to my batch of flaxseed milk also. Great way to get omega 3s in daily. Nuts/seeds are a great base to make thick sauces like vegan alfredo or to make homemade vegan cream cheese or sliced cheese. I have also made homemade vegan almond sliced cheese blocks (with the help of agar flakes).

Not everyone can consume them though. My mother has diverticulitis/losis and was in the hospital for a week a year or so ago as it was so bad. She can not have nuts/seeds at all in her diet now, not even in fruits like strawberries. However, if they are very very finely ground to a total powder with no specks, she MIGHT be able to get away with just a little of it.
Tom likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 03-14-2015, 07:36 AM
Foodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
Currently we have sunflower seeds, walnuts, hemp hearts, almonds, and cashews at home.
Awesome! Thanks so much for checking it out, and I'm glad you gave it a read

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
The article and photos are nicely put together.

Could you double-check the article's statements about almonds being an excellent source of potassium? Although one cup of almonds contains 29% RDI of potassium, it also contains 824 calories!: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/3087/2 . A better source of potassium might be potatoes - a large baked potato contains 46% RDI of potassium, and only 278 calories: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2770/2 .
Thanks You know, we eat potatoes all the time at home and we never thought to consider them as a source of potassium. We really just eat them because they are tasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I regularly eat/use pumpkin seeds, flaxseeds, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, walnuts, and brazil nuts (great source of selenium). On occasion I use sesame seeds. Cashews are a rare treat (hard on my stomach) as are pistachios. I only consume a few tablespoons to a 1/4 cup per day of nuts/seeds though, sometimes a little less or more. Right now I have chia, flaxseed, sunflower seeds, and brazil nuts in my pantry.

There are many ways to incorporate nuts/seeds in the diet besides just consuming them directly too. I use almonds to make homemade vegan mayonnaise or grind them into a flour for baking/cooking. I also use either almonds or sunflower seeds ground up with garlic powder and nutritional yeast or other spices for vegan "parmesan" to go over pasta or other dishes. Chia seeds can be used for baking or to make puddings. I have also used just flaxseeds, dates, and water to make a frothy creamy homemade flaxseed milk in my high speed blender. I add calcium powder and vitamin D drops to my batch of flaxseed milk also. Great way to get omega 3s in daily. Nuts/seeds are a great base to make thick sauces like vegan alfredo or to make homemade vegan cream cheese or sliced cheese. I have also made homemade vegan almond sliced cheese blocks (with the help of agar flakes).

Not everyone can consume them though. My mother has diverticulitis/losis and was in the hospital for a week a year or so ago as it was so bad. She can not have nuts/seeds at all in her diet now, not even in fruits like strawberries. However, if they are very very finely ground to a total powder with no specks, she MIGHT be able to get away with just a little of it.
Nuts can be hard to digest, and they aren't for everyone, but we find them great in our diet. We are one on the lucky ones that decided to cut out animal products and eat plant based for the health benefits, and not because of an intolerance. I can only imagine things being that much more tricky if you had to cut out nuts completely.

Check out my food blog:

Last edited by glutenfreeveganpantry; 03-14-2015 at 08:28 AM.
#6 Old 04-25-2015, 06:30 PM

Great article! I will definitely be getting into the nuts and seeds more after reading it. At the moment I mostly eat cashews.
#7 Old 04-25-2015, 09:32 PM
Impeach the psychopath

I keep sesame, sunflower, poppy, caraway, almond, pecan, walnut, flax (meal,) and cashew on hand. It's hard to imagine life without them.
Tom and LedBoots like this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"The fact is, none of us truly win, until we all win."
#8 Old 05-16-2015, 01:45 PM

Totally went out and bought a bag of fruit and nuts because of this post!
LedBoots likes this.
#9 Old 05-16-2015, 02:47 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymoore View Post
Totally went out and bought a bag of fruit and nuts because of this post!
Haha I understand that! I get food inspiration from this forum all the time!
Tom and Naturebound like this.
#10 Old 05-17-2015, 11:49 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I sometimes use flax seeds for their Omega-3 content, but it's important to note that, for this, they really should be ground. They really don't digest well if they're swallowed whole.

I almost always have sunflower kernels on hand. But really, most nuts and seeds are so tempting to me that it's hard for me to keep them around long at all!

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#11 Old 06-20-2015, 10:35 AM

Terrific article!

What a fantastic list - thank you so much for sharing this!
#12 Old 12-16-2015, 06:27 AM
Sustainable Gardener

A nut that I love that seems to be missed here is Brazil nuts. They are so creamy and delicious, can't go a few days without them.

~~~~I always eat the garnish.~~~
~~~~~~~~~Jackie~~~~~~~~~~

Tags
nuts , pantry staples , seeds , Vegan , vegetarian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page