Where do you get your everyday protein as a vegetarian/vegan? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 42Likes

#1 Old 11-24-2014, 08:08 AM

Where do you get your everyday protein as a vegetarian/vegan?

Hi, I'm actively planning on going vegan or vegetarian.
Where do you get your everyday protein? I've read something about "protein shakes" has anybody tried them already? Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-24-2014, 08:41 AM
Veggie Regular

As a vegan I just get it from whatever I happen to be eating. I get a lot from grains/lentils, some from nuts, sometimes beans. Kinda changes depending on what I feel like.

I followed my diet for a while and found I got more than enough most days so I never worry about it.

edit--------
If you're worried try putting what you eat into something like cronometer. It will break down your protein into what you really should be tracking anyways. Just as a heads up though cronometer tends to overestimate what you need protein wise.

Last edited by odizzido; 11-24-2014 at 08:43 AM.
#3 Old 11-24-2014, 04:34 PM
V for Vegan

I get it from food. As long as you eat a reasonably balanced vegan diet, you will get all the protein you need. Almost everything has some protein in it but I probably get most of mine from beans, greens, soy milk, and nuts. If you're a bodybuilder you might need to pay more attention to it.

--

#4 Old 11-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Banned

I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian, my proteins of choice are eggs, dairy, beans, and lentils. Combining beans and brown rice makes a complete protein.
#5 Old 11-24-2014, 05:08 PM
Impeach the psychopath

Two of my favorites are spinach and broccoli. They have as much or more protein as beef. The cattlemen would have you believe only red meat can provide protein, but that's pure propaganda and blatantly false. Protein has become the subject of mythology.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"The fact is, none of us truly win, until we all win."
#6 Old 11-24-2014, 05:11 PM

most things have protein in, but I pop a lysine pill, just in case I don't eat any beans, peanut butter etc.
Wolfie and romivp like this.

#7 Old 11-24-2014, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Tempeh, tofu, seitan, lentils, dried beans, hummus, nuts, seeds, broccoli, spinach, sweet potatoes, brown rice, millet, buckwheat, quinoa, whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, soy milk, vegan protein powders, granola, peas, etc.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 11-24-2014, 06:31 PM
No flesh since 99'

What is it this notion "all vegetarian/vegans are deficient in protein"! It's not just you, it seems to be an insidious untruth that soooo many people buy into. Pretty much all real food has protein in it, and you don't need nearly as much as the meat-pushers over at the FDA would like you to believe you do either. Unless your an athlete, protein shakes are wholly unnecessary, expensive, and depending on what they're made of, arguably not good for you. Eat a HEALTHY vegetarian or vegan diet that does not include much or any highly processed foods and you'll have your nutritional bases covered. It's the processed/prepackaged/canned foods that get you because they fill you up and aren't very healthy. You can eat 10 soy burgers a day and be perfectly overloaded on protein and deficient in just about everything else. I guess what I'm trying to say, is eat a balanced diet and learn to cook from scratch!
Bruce V and romivp like this.
#9 Old 11-25-2014, 07:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I track my calories and protien intake on Myfitnesspal (free).

I dont have the healthiest diet in the world, but I am happy with what I eat. I do not buy bars or powders. ( i cant afford them anyway)

I get the WHO recommended amount of protien and then some from- peas,beans,seeds/nut butter,bread,pasta,dairy products,rice,produce,boca burgers,and occasional eggs.

FWIW- I am 5'4 and 118lbs. The WHO recommends 46 grams of protien a day for a woman my size, and I find it super easy to meet and exceed that.
Tiger Lilly and romivp like this.

Last edited by melimomTARDIS; 11-25-2014 at 07:08 AM.
#10 Old 11-25-2014, 07:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Check out a book on nutrition from your local library, or look around myplate.gov for advice on a balanced vegetarian diet. Its easier than you might think!
romivp likes this.
#11 Old 11-25-2014, 07:24 AM
Beginner's Mind

Quote:
"[B]ecause Americans consume so much protein, and there is plenty in foods from both plant and animal sources, and there is no evidence of protein deficiency in the U.S. population, protein is a non-issue. Why make it into one? The only reason for doing so is marketing. Protein used as a marketing tool is about marketing, not health. The advantage for marketing purposes of protein over fat or carbohydrates is that it's a positive message, not negative. Marketers don't have to do anything other than mention protein to make people think it's a health food."

~ Marion Nestle, Ph.D, MPH, Paulette Goddard Professor of Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Health at New York University (https://twitter.com/marionnestle)
-- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5481307.html
(Signs You're Eating Too Much Protein)
romivp and Dustie like this.

Jenner: I learned this much: take what you can, when you can.

Justin: Then you have learned nothing!

The Secret of NIMH

#12 Old 11-25-2014, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Ahhh protein.....

If you're looking to go veg, but you're worried about getting all the nutrients you need, then maybe have a look at this-

http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/MyVeganPlate.pdf

It's vegan, but vegetarians are allowed to use it too :P I used it as a starting point when I first went vegetarian. I'd also recommend the book Becoming Vegetarian (if you have plans to go vegan after going veg, then the book is doubly helpful because it includes vegan nutrition in there as well).
romivp likes this.
#13 Old 11-25-2014, 11:58 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

My protein sources

(Sorry, it is in dutch)

bruine bonen
witte bonen
linzen
doperwten
kidneybonen
kikkererwten
kapucijners
adukibonen
sojabonen
limabonen
sperziebonen
pinda's
amandelen
hazelnoten
cashewnoten
macadamianoten
pijnboompitten
pistachenoten
pompoenpitten
paranoten
pecannoten
sesamzaad/tahin
walnoten
zonnebloempitten
kokos
lijnzaad
boekweit
couscous
macaroni/spaghetti
zilvervliesrijst
haver
gerst
gierst
tarwe
quinoa (graansoort)
brinta
boerenkool
broccoli
groene kool
spinazie
spruitjes
taugé
savoiekool
zuurkool
peterselie
seitan
tempeh
tahoe/tofu
shiitake
etc.
romivp likes this.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#14 Old 12-03-2014, 11:00 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

From literally everything I eat. I eat a lot of beans and brown rice (though rarely in the same meal), I often make tvp and tofu, though just as often I'll make satisfying gratins and stews this time of year with 6-10 vegetables in them. As long as you eat a wide variety of whole foods it's easy to get 40-60g of protein in per day.
LedBoots and Dustie like this.
#15 Old 12-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

You could start here......

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-07-10 at 4.24.51 PM.png
Views: 596
Size:  571.2 KB

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#16 Old 12-04-2014, 03:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
Two of my favorites are spinach and broccoli. They have as much or more protein as beef. The cattlemen would have you believe only red meat can provide protein, but that's pure propaganda and blatantly false. Protein has become the subject of mythology.
Sure, spinach & broccoli are a higher % protein than beef. But you'd need to eat 14lbs of spinach or 9lbs of broccoli per day to meet your caloric needs. It can be tricky to get 50-60g of protein / day unless you have a lot of capacity for insoluble fiber or fall back on carcinogenic soy meats.
Wolfie likes this.
#17 Old 12-04-2014, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by H=N/C View Post
Sure, spinach & broccoli are a higher % protein than beef. But you'd need to eat 14lbs of spinach or 9lbs of broccoli per day to meet your caloric needs. It can be tricky to get 50-60g of protein / day unless you have a lot of capacity for insoluble fiber or fall back on carcinogenic soy meats.
The point is that other than some fruits, all foods contain protein. Unless you fill up your day with empty calories it really is easy to get 50 grams.
I don;t feel like tracking my last days, but here's a good example of a very typical diet:
http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php
Bruce V likes this.
#18 Old 12-05-2014, 02:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Most people wouldn't JUST eat those two foods to meet their protein needs each day. Soy is obviously not the only source of plant protein. You could easily meet 50 grams or more of plant protein per day without soy (or even gluten) by eating two or three servings of beans, three or four servings of grains (such as quinoa, oats etc), sweet potato, four or five servings of vegetables (in addition to fruits), and a few servings of seeds and/or nuts (and still be within a very reasonable calorie range). If one eats all raw, a blender can make consuming larger amounts of leafy greens, seeds etc easier. Spinach also cooks way down. I ate four packed cups of spinach for dinner the other day as part of a larger meal (that included quinoa, walnuts, and cherries). In less than one minute of light steaming it cooked down considerably. Of course, some people might claim the heat probably destroyed the nutrients in that spinach. Sighs.

You'd think vegans would be dropping dead right and left by now since our diets are so terrible. I don't see that happening though. Goes and gets ready for my daily 1.5 hour workout followed by eight hour work shift and then some errands and maybe a little studying as part of my work training and back on here tonight .
silva likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#19 Old 12-05-2014, 03:51 AM
Impeach the psychopath

Quote:
I'm sorry, do you think I meant broccoli and spinach are the only foods we can eat?
amira23 likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"The fact is, none of us truly win, until we all win."
#20 Old 12-05-2014, 10:53 PM
Veggie Regular

If you go the vegan route, just be sure to get enough of the amino acid lysine. If you are getting enough lysine then you most likely are getting enough total protein. I, too, take a lysine supplement some days if I don't eat high-lysine foods.

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/protein
#21 Old 12-05-2014, 10:58 PM
Veggie Regular

It is quite possible to get enough protein but not enough of the essential amino acids, especially lysine, on a vegan diet if you're not paying attention. I don't know why vegans get so uptight every time someone brings up protein. I still wonder how many ex-vegans are "ex" because they felt like crap after someone told them you never have to worry about protein.
#22 Old 12-06-2014, 07:58 AM

I'm vegan and I get my protein from plants. My recent blood work came back great, always has

Beans, tofu (Non GMO), tempeh, seitan, non dairy milks, nuts, avocado, quinoa, flax, lentils, oats, hemp ... I'm sure a lot more, but as you can see there's an abundance
#23 Old 12-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
It is quite possible to get enough protein but not enough of the essential amino acids, especially lysine, on a vegan diet if you're not paying attention. I don't know why vegans get so uptight every time someone brings up protein. I still wonder how many ex-vegans are "ex" because they felt like crap after someone told them you never have to worry about protein.

Protein is one of the big myths about vegetarians and vegans, I guess that's the biggest sore point about the whole thing. We were told we 'couldn't' get enough protein, it's one of the lies we were told along with 'humane slaughter' and 'free range'.

I still get frustrated with people who tell me I "don't have to worry" about Iron. I do worry about it. I have a condition that requires me to worry about it.

At the same time, as long as someone is eating a varied vego diet, they shouldn't have to worry too much. I'm not saying they shouldn't read books about nutrition, or ask questions, but if the diet is varied then every meal doesn't need to feel like you're filling out some nutritional form of a tax return.....
#24 Old 12-07-2014, 04:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
I'm sorry, do you think I meant broccoli and spinach are the only foods we can eat?
No, you meant that they're good sources of protein, and I explained that they aren't. 1 cup of spinach has 0.9g of protein. Its very healthy b/c of the micronutrients, but the protein content is negligible.
#25 Old 12-07-2014, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
Protein is one of the big myths about vegetarians and vegans, I guess that's the biggest sore point about the whole thing. We were told we 'couldn't' get enough protein, it's one of the lies we were told along with 'humane slaughter' and 'free range'.

I still get frustrated with people who tell me I "don't have to worry" about Iron. I do worry about it. I have a condition that requires me to worry about it.

At the same time, as long as someone is eating a varied vego diet, they shouldn't have to worry too much. I'm not saying they shouldn't read books about nutrition, or ask questions, but if the diet is varied then every meal doesn't need to feel like you're filling out some nutritional form of a tax return.....
It's easy to get enough protein on a vegan diet. But we do have to pay more attention than your average omni to getting enough of all the amino acids, especially lysine. That's all I'm saying. So many people post that they feel weak, faint, etc. after turning vegan and wonder about protein among other things and 99% of the time other vegans tell them they never have to worry about protein. Well, we don't exactly have to worry about it but we do have to pay more attention to it.

Good site all around for all things vegan. Here are her views on protein.

http://www.theveganrd.com/2014/02/pl...eed-beans.html
Tiger Lilly likes this.
#26 Old 12-08-2014, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
It's easy to get enough protein on a vegan diet. But we do have to pay more attention than your average omni to getting enough of all the amino acids, especially lysine. That's all I'm saying. So many people post that they feel weak, faint, etc. after turning vegan and wonder about protein among other things and 99% of the time other vegans tell them they never have to worry about protein. Well, we don't exactly have to worry about it but we do have to pay more attention to it.

Good site all around for all things vegan. Here are her views on protein.

http://www.theveganrd.com/2014/02/pl...eed-beans.html
Oh, you're completely right!

And I LOVE Ginny Messina. I bought "Vegan For Her" and it's great! An easy read and packed with info.
#27 Old 01-14-2015, 01:45 PM

Although I am eating vegetarianism diet as opposed to vegan, I did read the book 80-10-10 (Graham) and he stated in his book that we obtain lots of protein in our veges and fruits, then also using nuts/seeds to augment daily protein. Having said that, I think that I ate Waaayyyy over the requirements for protein before becoming vegetarian. This is my 8th day on vegetarian diet and I actually feel much better eating less protein and eating more veges and some fruits than previously.
#28 Old 01-14-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romivp View Post
Hi, I'm actively planning on going vegan or vegetarian.
Where do you get your everyday protein? I've read something about "protein shakes" has anybody tried them already? Help!
Hi, I am glad you are educating yourself before making the decision. There are some great points in the replies above. I would like to add this: What's interesting and important to note, is that only the proteins from soy and quinoa are classified as complete proteins because they contain all essential amino acids, much like the proteins from animal-based foods. So it's not a bad idea to include some of that into your future diet. Quinoa for example can be used in many great tasting salads like Quinoa Basmati Rice Pilaf I love making for my family. Here is the recipe..

I just had a discussion with someone of Facebook who claimed that "we were meant to eat meat". Apparently he knows someone who lost his teeth after years of being a vegetarian... These are the kind of stories that make me chuckle. Since I stopped eating meat, I eat a much better balanced diet than in the past, because I want to make sure I get all I need. What about all of the meat eaters who don't eat vegetables. They get the protein but with that they also get the bad fats and no vitamins.

Good luck in your new lifestyle when ever you choose to start living it
H_SPrincess likes this.

Parkash

#29 Old 01-16-2015, 01:21 PM

Tempeh, which is a mix of soybeans, brown rice, barley and millet (40 grams of protein in 1 block--easy to prep and eat in one sitting--cut up and put in toaster oven for 15 minutes at 425 F)

Silken Tofu -- (16 grams--blend with frozen blueberries to make a pudding)

Fully cooked edamame in shells (@Trader Joe's--over 30 grams protein in a 1-pound package, makes a simple lunch to take to work, okay to eat cold or run under hot water to defrost)

Shelled edamame (boil/steam for a few minutes)

Frozen green peas (can eat raw--defrosted under hot water--or just boil/steam for a few minutes)

Frozen lima beans (must boil/steam for a few minutes--beans should not be eaten raw)

I sometimes buy garbanzo beans (also called chick peas), but try not to buy food in cans anymore.

I sometimes buy lentils, but I prefer buying edamame, peas, or lima beans, which come as nice "green" food and are quick to prepare. Lentils take about 20 minutes to cook.

Grains like rice, quinoa, and wheat really don't have that much protein per calorie.

Also, nuts/seeds are lacking in protein compared to all the calories and fat.

Of course, it's great to eat things like broccoli, but you can't really meet all of your protein needs through vegetables.

Also, I'd like to say that I avoid things like protein powders, because they're expensive and "processed," and I like to get my protein from real foods, which offer lots of other benefits in addition to the protein they contain.

Last edited by ron4540; 01-16-2015 at 01:23 PM.
#30 Old 01-16-2015, 01:29 PM
Vegan as f**k

Hi there!

Yes I use vegan protein shakes and they are fine

I also get protein from soya mince, tofu, lentils, vegan cheese and soya/ rice milk

Why is the suffering and killing of animals wrong? Because the value of a sentient organism's life is priceless. They are their own beings and have their own lives and loves. They have higher emotions and thought processes. Their minds are different from ours in degree, not kind - meaning that fundamentally there are critical similarities.

Tags
protein , transitioning , Vegan , vegetarian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page