Questions about eating veggies - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Beginner

I went vegetarian about 5 months ago. I was met with a lot of "persecution" from my friends, even though I did it for logical health and environmental reasons. I found it interesting that everyone's perception of vegetarian was that it was "difficult," or you have to think more about what you eat as a vegetarian. I actually found it quite easy, if not easier, to be vegetarian since I don't have to play Marco Polo with carcinogens or wonder what the heck is in the meat that's not meat.

I am having difficulty finding ideas for veggie snacks. I am a bit overweight because of my bad eating habits that I had last year when I went away to college. I tend to overeat when I am stressed because of my insomnia. Sleepiness -> sugar cravings -> snacking on refined carbohydrates. Coupled with not enough hours in the day to study AND exercise, it was a downward spiral. I am in the process of transitioning to the controlled appetite. I have found the more you eat, the hungrier you get. Do you have any ideas for snacks that are based on vegetables, high in fiber, low/no added salt and sugar?

Some things I found are sweet potato chips, kale chips, carrot sticks, snow peas, edamame, and nuts, but I have been eating nuts with too much sodium, so I think I'll have to roast my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Beginner

I tend to either have carrot sticks or Ryvita crackers to dip in humus during the day at work.
Ryvitas are handy because they last for ages and don't go off when kept in my draw at work.
I keep a tub of humus in the fridge at work and also a jar of vegan jam.
I also keep a bag of walnuts in my draw as they are good for omega fats.

I snack on bananas as they are cheap, convenient, not messy and they are tasty Also oranges. I probably have about 4 bananas a day and 3 or 4 satsumas.

I find that if I have a big bowl of musli with some chopped banana in it in the morning. Then I don't get so hurry through the day and don't end up eating loads of crisps or other unhealthy stuff.
#3 Old 05-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Beginner

it's a fruit but i'd suggest avocado.
#4 Old 05-13-2012, 12:10 AM
Where's my camera?

Roasted chickpeas. And I make my own baked vegetable chips from parsnips, sweet potatoes, russets.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#5 Old 05-13-2012, 12:11 AM
Beginner

If your craving sweet snacks I'd suggest buying or building* a dehydrator, and then dehydrating some fruit.
Apples, pineapples, bananas, apricots, etc. all are fairly easy to dehydrate and make good snacks.
You can also buy them already dehydrated, but they're fairly expensive and some are also treated with preservatives on top of being dehydrated.

While your thinking about that, for sweet treats I also like to snack on raisins, figs, and prunes, all of which you can normally find in any grocery store.

*Lots of plans on the internet, just Google diy dehydrator.

added with edit: Just another thought: for snacks I also like chips and salsa. I make my own salsa and flour or corn chips, but you can also just buy them. (flour chips: chop up some flour tortillas and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes - corn chips: chop corn tortillas and fry - lots of salsa recipes online)

I am my own bad companion

#6 Old 05-13-2012, 07:44 AM
Beginner

If you want to lose weight, maybe you shouldn't be snacking in the first place?

Excess calories are a big part of excess weight.

Tam! RUGH!
#7 Old 05-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

To kind of build on this, if you know you're a snacker, it might be a good idea to start changing your entire meal plan around that. I struggled to loose weight for a while because I kept trying to do it how it worked for my friends- 3 square, calorie-counted meals, no snacking. But I'd just end up getting hungry and exhausted in between. Then I sort of realised, I'm a grazer. I can eat a small amount at each meal and be totally satisfied, but I'll need several small ones throughout the day. As long as your calorie intake is carefully managed, it can be a really good way to work with your natural eating pattern so that snacking is OK.

You do have to be really careful about the meals though. But your stomach shrinks gradually, so you'll eventually need less to feel full.

For me, I snack on a bag of dried berries and nuts, as well as corn cakes that are around 50 cal per slice. Seems to be working so far!
#8 Old 05-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Snacking does not automatically mean excess calories. As long as you include snacking in your calorie budget you'll be fine.

~~ Maggie
#9 Old 05-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Beginner

I have a question about catching gnomes.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#10 Old 05-15-2012, 06:11 AM
Beginner

Hummus! Not exactly low cal but healthy. Use it as a dip for raw veggies. The veggies will help you feel full before you go overboard with the hummus.
#11 Old 05-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

I have a question about catching gnomes.

First make sure it's a gnome and not a goblin, brownie, kobold, leprechaun, Heinzelmännchen, or some form of domestic spirit.
-You really don't want to try catching a goblin or chance making a brownie mad at you.

After you do that, you have to identify the type of Gnome it is (i.e. house, garden, earth, mountain, woodland, siberian, dune, etc.).
You should also identify it's pedigree, as German fey are much different from Irish or Cornish Fey (the type of Gnome or it's clothing might give you a clue as to this - other than that you may have to speak to it, which can be risky).
Then you have to identify the sub-type (i.e garden gnomes have several sub-types: flower garden, ornamental garden, vegetable garden, etc.).
Next you need to find out what sub-sub-type your dealing with, is it a Red Gnome, a Blue Gnome, a Green Gnome? These are often identified by what gang colors they're wearing (hats).
-If it's a Red Gnome you might consider leaving it alone as they are affiliated with the Elves, and Elves can be particularly nasty if they decide they don't like you.
My suggestion is just leave it alone no matter what kind it is, because even if you capture it for it's treasure you won't enjoy using the treasure, as most fey treasures are cursed, and even if it isn't, fey gold often vanishes with the rise of the sun, so you'll need to spend it very quickly and hope no one connects all the vanished gold to you the next day - not to mention if the tax man becomes involved.

If the Gnome is causing problems leave a little milk and bread (or whiskey - especially w/Irish Gnomes) on the back step to appease it.

If you still want to catch it, after you gather all the above information the next thing you need to do is to realize is that the Gnomes you see in your neighbors yards are made of painted plaster or plastic.

I am my own bad companion

#12 Old 05-16-2012, 11:47 PM
Beginner

I did have my heart set on a red one.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#13 Old 05-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Beginner

I almost always turn to fruits and veggies as snacks first. I am going to be snacking on a plate of multicolored cocktail tomatoes cut in half and sprinkled with salt and pepper. I can eat a ton of those. You can even drizzle them with a bit of olive oil and balsamic. I also eat a lot of things like cantelope, blackberries, mangos, etc... If I am really hungry I will have a healthy cereal with almond milk.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page