Cookbooks/Menu Ideas - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Beginner

I am just starting out on a new Vegetarian Lifestyle. My husband and children are supportive, but not on board with me. I am looking for suggestions of cookbooks for easy vegetarian recipes for one and sample menu ideas for someone just starting out.

Thanks!

Malea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Beginner

I'm new to Vegetarianism also, but I've been a cook for many years and I like cookbooks.
One of the first things I did was go to my local library and check out almost all the Vegetarian cookbooks they had.
So far I like all the books I've read by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.
She's written (list taken from Wikipedia):
Vegan with a Vengeance, 2005 (ISBN 1569243581)
Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, with Terry Hope Romero, 2006 (ISBN 1569242739)
Veganomicon, with Terry Hope Romero, 2007 (ISBN 156924264X)
Vegan Brunch, 2009 (ISBN 0738212725)
Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, with Terry Hope Romero, 2009 (ISBN 160094048X)
Appetite for Reduction, 2010 (ISBN 9781600940491)
Vegan Pie in the Sky, 2011 (ISBN 9780738212746)

I've read and used 3 of them so far and my favorites in order are:
Appetite for Reduction, Veganomicon and then Vegan Brunch.
I have a hold (coming from another library) on Vegan with a Vengeance and I'm very impatient for it to come.

I am going to buy Appetite for Reduction to add to my personal collection and I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the Veganomicon also.

I am my own bad companion

#3 Old 04-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Beginner

The Whole Foods Market CookBook (Wholefoods)
Vegetarian Cooking - A CommonSense Guide (Bay Books)
New Vegetarian Cuisine (Prevention Magazine)
New Cook Book (Better Homes and Gardens)
Allrecipes.com

The Whole Foods and Better Homes and Gardens cookbooks aren't strictly vegetarian, but they have so many vegetarian dishes, they're two of my favorites. I have others, but these are the ones I use daily/weekly.

Also, once you start cooking vegetables more, your family will be on board with you. I pulled a recipe for vegetarian and artichoke lasagna off line and it's the best lasagna I've ever eaten. I serve it at dinner parties and holidays and people LOVE it. My husband never complains at the foods I cook even though he's not vegetarian.
#4 Old 04-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Beginner

Check out ohsheglows.com (blog). Just found it yesterday...amazing!!

Vegetarian with vegan tendencies.
#5 Old 04-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Beginner

What kind of meals do you normally like to eat? I would recommend starting with converting your favorites to vegetarian recipes, and then slowly add new things as you gain confidence.
#6 Old 04-30-2012, 06:38 AM
Beginner

I have:

Vegan Fire and Spice - Robin Robertson
Vegan Planet - Robin Robertson
River Cottage Veg! - Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall
Veganomicon - Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero
Vegan with a Vengeance - Isa Chandra Moskowitz
Appetite for Reduction - Isa Chandra Moskowitz

I have another one, which escapes me (its at my other house) and I can't find it on amazon to tell you the name of it (that and I'm being lazy). The Isa Moskowitz books are hands down my favourites, though I haven't cooked enough from the Robin Robertson books yet to make a firm decision (I only got them the other week). The Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall book I brought on a whim (and because it was half price in smiths). Fearnely-Whittingstall is an omnivore, and makes no pretence to be veg or anywhere close to it, but he released this book to try and get more of us to eat more veg. The recipes are delicious and of those which aren't already vegan most are easily veganised without any sacrifice of flavour!

These books are currently in my basket/on my wishlist (there are more, but these are the books I'm going to get first):

Hearty Vegan Meals for Monster Appetites: Celine Steen and Joni-Marie Newman
The Enlightened Kitchen: Fresh Vegetable Dishes from the temples of Japan - Mari Fujii
The Asian Vegan Kitchen: Authentic and Appetising Dishes from the Continent of Rich Flavours - Hema Parekh
Buddha's Table: Thai Feasting Vegetarian Style - Chat Mingkwan
Eastern Vegetarian Cooking - Madhur Jaffrey
Vietnamese Fusion: Vegetarian Cooking - Chat Mingkwan
Dakshin: Vegetarian Cuisine from South India - Chandra Padmanabahn
Contemporary and Traditional Japanese Cooking: Simple, Delicious and Vegan - Miyoko Mishimoto Schinner

I like Asian Cooking . I also have a lot of vegetarian cook books/recipes and I regularly buy Vegetarian Living and Cook Vegetarian. Vegetarian recipes are often easily veganised (though I know you're vegetarian, don't forget vegan cooking! Its often just as delicious). Also, don't forget http://www.vegweb.com

I hope this helps

EDIT: It occurred to me, that I could just link you to my amazon wishlist: http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/1GNE4YMA5OR52
EDIT 2: Okay, I remembered it: How it all Vegan - Sarah Kramer and Tanya Barnard

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." - Charles Darwin
http://leighonamission.wordress.com
#7 Old 04-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post

I am going to buy Appetite for Reduction to add to my personal collection and I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the Veganomicon also.

Thanks for the suggestion! You sold me! I just purchased Appetite for Reduction, online. I can't wait for it to come in!
#8 Old 04-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade903 View Post

Check out ohsheglows.com (blog). Just found it yesterday...amazing!!

Wow, nice site.
#9 Old 04-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Beginner

Before buying books, check out the many vegan recipe websites, also Amazon.coms "look inside" feature for veg cookbooks.
As much as I love Isa Moscowitz, many of her recipes can be (I thought) a bit fussy for new vegan cooks, and those cooking for others.
Robin Robertson on the other hand, I find more versatile, and easily converted to others tastes, as well as used as side dishes for the others, and your main entree.

Isa's website is ppk.com

also vegweb.com
fatfreevegan.com

You'll get loads by just googling

Don't forget our recipes! We've got great bloggers on this site!

Welcome!
#10 Old 04-30-2012, 10:33 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Before buying books, check out the many vegan recipe websites, also Amazon.coms "look inside" feature for veg cookbooks.
As much as I love Isa Moscowitz, many of her recipes can be (I thought) a bit fussy for new vegan cooks, and those cooking for others.
Robin Robertson on the other hand, I find more versatile, and easily converted to others tastes, as well as used as side dishes for the others, and your main entree.

I just put 3 Robin Robertson cookbooks on hold at my local library (they'll come from a partner library - we don't have them). It might a few weeks before I get them but I'll report my feelings on them here after I get them (then you'll have 2 reviews).

I am my own bad companion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page