Lifestyle tips for a new vegetarian? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-31-2012, 07:53 PM
Beginner

Hi everyone.

I recently decided to give up the meat (4 weeks ago) it was a personal choice and not influenced by anything except animal cruelty. I one day just decided enough was enough and I was going to stop eating it due to pressue/hunger. It has been easy, I have not craved meat or even been tempted in the least bit. However I have no vegetarian friends therefore I have no one to converse with about these things. I'm really struggling maintaining a healthy vegetarian diet.. to be honest I wasn't very healthy in the first place, but I think it's time to change that. What should I be going out to buy? What type of things will keep me healthy? I actually have no idea and should have studied this, but it was better then than never. So could you guys help me out with any suggestions. Would be great! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-31-2012, 08:41 PM
Beginner

Don't worry if you don't know anyone, that's what we're here for! The only other veggies I know in person are my own family, and that's because I converted them First thing you might want to look into if you don't think you're eating properly is a good multivitamin. Check the ingredients and watch out for gelatin(some brands have special 'vegetarian' vitamins with no by-products). Other than that, eat the rainbow! Tons of fruit and veggies. If you're feeling hungry, potatoes and rice and pasta are still great options to give you a full satisfied feeling.

Also, don't give into anything you've heard about how all vegetarians are obsessed with tofu and soy...you don't have to like them, I hardly ever use them myself. So don't get discouraged and keep trying new things.
#3 Old 04-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Where's my camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydella View Post

Hi everyone.
What should I be going out to buy? What type of things will keep me healthy?

Fruits and vegetables, greens, grains, beans, nuts, seeds.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#4 Old 04-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the advice guys, really helpful I tried out vegetable patties last night, I didn't enjoy it much at all. I think making my own will be alot more appealing. Do you have any suggestions for things like burgers ect that need meat replacement?
#5 Old 04-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Beginner

All meat replacements are different...it's just a trial and error thing. There's some brands I love and some I hate. Tofurkey is generally delicious, as are field roast sausages. Most Garedein products are yummy as well Of course making your own is always the best as far as health is concerned....faux meat products are highly processed and generally high in salt.
#6 Old 04-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Beginner

what about beans? They are cheap, easy and a great source of protein and other nutrients. They are very filling too. Bean burritos, rice and beans, or black bean burgers are some favorites at our house, as well as bean soup. Falafel is great, as well as hummus.
#7 Old 04-15-2012, 11:26 PM
Beginner

Veggies
fruits
beans
pulses
grains
pasta
cereals
nuts
wholemeal bread
tofu
meat replacements.

Learning to cook nutritious meals which are interesting and tasty will sustain you, and I believe it's the best way to maintain your interest in the long run. Also, I'd suggest joining a vegetarian society or group of some kind so that you can interact with other people who feel the same way about animal cruelty as you do and with whom you can go out to dinner and other related events with.

Just as an example for you, here's a site with a three week vegan menu plan and it contains recipes if you're not at all sure where to start.

m8itcanw8.com
#8 Old 04-15-2012, 11:42 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydella View Post

Thanks for the advice guys, really helpful I tried out vegetable patties last night, I didn't enjoy it much at all. I think making my own will be alot more appealing. Do you have any suggestions for things like burgers ect that need meat replacement?

My advise is to stock up on Veggie food and never let yourself go hungary. Shop around in Health food stores and see what is available in your local supermarket. You'll be amazed by the food that is out there.

There may be a lot of trial and error at first but you'll get into the swings of things quite quickly.

As for Veggie friends, I don't think many of us have any and that is why this forum is so popular. I have never met a Veg person in my area.

The Best Veggie Burgers on The Planet
by Joni Marie Newman is a very good book for making veggie homemade burgers.
#9 Old 04-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Beginner

Rice in the morning with veggie of course, for morning snacks I eat veggie salad, for midday.. I eat rice again and different veggie from the morning and for my afternoon snacks I usually take potato.... then in the evening I still eat rice and veggie take some fruits in the evening... and fruits again... if I am still hungry I eat veggie salad again... and that's it for the whole day of course take some research for other recipe so you can enjoy veggie if you will cook veggie just don't over cook it.. much better if it is half cook.. not totally cook...

http://allstopsnoringaids.com

#10 Old 04-16-2012, 07:33 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchalbert View Post

Rice in the morning with veggie of course,

Of course.

m8itcanw8.com
#11 Old 04-17-2012, 02:23 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

Of course.

Well other don't eat rice in the morning.. Most of the people that I know... LOL

http://allstopsnoringaids.com

#12 Old 04-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Beginner

So as not to write a whole book on here, I can pm you where I have articles on the topic if you want.

~ sunday
#13 Old 04-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Beginner

Find a vegetarian buddy! Forums are great, but meet some new vegetarians in person. When I first got into raw food, I got really excited whenever I met another raw foodist. There's a bunch of these people out there.

Check out my raw food review blog at www.rawfoodland.com!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page