Cleaning out the fridge/pantry - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-31-2012, 11:42 AM
Beginner

I stopped eating meat about two weeks ago and made a big trip to Whole Foods yesterday. Time to clean out the pantry and refrigerator.

Any "hidden" ingredients I probably should get rid of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-31-2012, 11:51 AM
Beginner

I feel bad throwing this stuff out, but honestly most of it hasn't been used recently.

Kimchi (cabbage and radish)- has anchovies, shrimp and oyster sauce
Oyster sauce
Fish sauce
Worcestershire sauce
Beef stock

I am sad about my kimchi. Any brands/source without fish?
#3 Old 03-31-2012, 03:57 PM
Beginner

You're probably already aware of it, but make sure to avoid gelatine If you made the switch because of animal welfare, you might also want to consider buying organic dairy and eggs. But don't stress, do things in your own pace.

What I'm about to say might not get me popular among my fellow VB'ers, but if you feel really bad about throwing the sauces out, then don't. I mean, you've already bought them - continuing to use them until the bottles are empty and afterwards not buying new ones is not going to affect the supply/demand balance at all. You're not killing any animals. But if it feels wrong to be eating foods with fish or meat in them (which I completely understand - I'd feel the same way), throw the stuff out, or give it to a friend/family member if you feel bad about wasting food.
#4 Old 03-31-2012, 04:46 PM
Beginner

Thanks for your reply.

Most of the ingredients were used for a specific recipe, the only thing I probably would have eaten was the kimchi.

I need to have a clear line (that is just how I am, need things clearly defined) to eat vegetarian. I am bringing some canned tuna to my parents tomorrow. The other stuff was all open/partially used. I was trying to eat less meat/be very selective about the meat I consumed prior to the switch but it wasn't really working.
#5 Old 04-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Beginner

I completely understand. I also did it "cold turkey" when I made the switch. Now, I'm less strict. I still don't eat meat or fish, but I've used a beef stock for a stew once (it was in the house already), and sometimes, I chew gum with gelatine in it, and I've had a dessert with gelatine in it on a restaurant (didn't realise it before I got it). I try not to buy anything with gelatine in it, but if someone hands me a piece of gum or candy that I know contains gelatine, I'll take it and say thank you instead of refusing it. I'm at a point right now where I feel so confident and happy about not eating meat that I allow myself to eat what I want, because I know I won't end up gorging a hamburger.
Good luck on your new lifestyle! If you need ideas for nice vegetarian meals, check out smittenkitchen.com There are a LOT of vegetarian recipes (I'd say 90 % are vegetarian), and they all look amazing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page