What vegan cereals are out there, in actual stores. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-18-2011, 04:14 PM
Beginner

I'm a new vegan. I'm 15 so I can't order online. I just need to know what vegan cereals there are at the store. I'm pretty sure general mills is out because of the vitamin D3 but what cereals do vegans eat and are readily available. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Beginner

I googled that, because I was used to not think about D3, and now just eat Trader Joes brand of Cheerios (D2).

I found this old veggieboards link:
http://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/sh...akfast-Cereals

Rolled oats are great cold with cinnamon and nuts, and a bit of maple syrup or dried fruit-I love dried cranberries! Just let it sit, even overnight in the fridge.

Welcome!
#3 Old 09-18-2011, 07:08 PM
Beginner

Thanks! Does anyone know if Kellogg's Corn flakes is vegan? or if the quaker cereals are vegan?
#4 Old 09-18-2011, 09:35 PM
Beginner

If you can get to a henrys (sprouts now) they have natures path granola cereal in bulk for way cheaper than the box. They have hemp plus and flax & pumpkin seed. Yumm and healthy

"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love." -Pythagoras
#5 Old 09-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Beginner

what do you mean by "actual stores"? like conventional supermarkets or something?
#6 Old 09-19-2011, 02:42 AM
Beginner

Its helps if you post your location.
For example Sainburys own brand in the UK label their Vegan cereals. They have Shredded Wheats(plain and with fruit), porridge with Syrup and Weetabix (these are the Sainsburys own brand versions of the big named cereals btw)
#7 Old 09-19-2011, 04:21 AM
Beginner

Kellog's Corn Flakes

Ingredients:

MILLED CORN, SUGAR, MALT FLAVORING, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SALT, IRON, NIACINAMIDE, SODIUM ASCORBATE AND ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), PYRIDOXINEHYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMINHYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), VITAMIN A PALMITATE, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B12, AND VITAMIN D. TO MAINTAIN QUALITY, BHT HAS BEEN ADDED TO THE PACKAGING.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#8 Old 09-19-2011, 04:35 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Kellog's Corn Flakes

Ingredients:

[snip]

VITAMIN D

This is D3 and is from an animal source. A lot of cereals with D3 are on PETA's list of vegan cereals, but that's because they don't want to make veganism look difficult. They include a lot of "mostly" vegan (read: not vegan) stuff on their lists of vegan food.

As for breakfast food, I pretty much stick to oatmeal and fruit. It's hard to go wrong with those.
#9 Old 09-19-2011, 04:51 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinkies View Post

This is D3 and is from an animal source. A lot of cereals with D3 are on PETA's list of vegan cereals, but that's because they don't want to make veganism look difficult. They include a lot of "mostly" vegan (read: not vegan) stuff on their lists of vegan food.

As for breakfast food, I pretty much stick to oatmeal and fruit. It's hard to go wrong with those.

Ugh...go figure. But you noticed, I didn't actually say it was vegan, I just posted the ingredients figuring someone would come along and clue me in! lol Thanks!

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#10 Old 09-19-2011, 07:46 AM
Beginner

Special K with red berries is free of vitamin D and appears vegan to me. Oddly enough, plain Special K (sans berries) has whey in it. I get the red berries kind for $2.50 a box and eat it with almond milk. Yum. The vitamin D thing is VERY annoying.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#11 Old 09-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Kellog's Corn Flakes

Ingredients:

MILLED CORN, SUGAR, MALT FLAVORING, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SALT, IRON, NIACINAMIDE, SODIUM ASCORBATE AND ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), PYRIDOXINEHYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMINHYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), VITAMIN A PALMITATE, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B12, AND VITAMIN D. TO MAINTAIN QUALITY, BHT HAS BEEN ADDED TO THE PACKAGING.

You know, it's amusing to me that I had heard that some of these cereals had D3 added, but never saw it on listed on the nutritional information. I just avoided buying any cereal that I wasn't sure about - despite having the information right at my fingertips. It turns out the fortification is different in Canada!!

Ingredients: Flaked milled corn, sugar/glucose-fructose, malt (corn flour, malted barley), salt, natural colour, bht,
Vitamins and minerals: iron, niacinamide, thiamine hydrochloride, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid

I wonder why the fortification is different between the two countries? I want B12 in my cereals! I've never seen one with it.
#12 Old 09-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Beginner

I am not sure if these are Vegan but, I just got some Barbara's bakery puffins cereal that tastes good and they said that its ok for Vegeterians but not sure about Vegans.
I also get the Alpen or Granola that is by Wheatbix cereals that comes from the UK, Barbara's bakery distributes them in the US. I also have the Annie's Cereals not sure if you know about them. I don't get mainstream cereals now more I get more Organic and Natural and I agree with the bulk if you store has a natural cereal bulk bin that is cheaper.
#13 Old 09-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Beginner

#14 Old 09-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Beginner

Quote:

That list includes cereals that have unspecified vitamin D. (I looked up Froot Loops for example) PETA's 'accidentally vegan' food list is notoriously lax.

www.animal-adoptions.org

#15 Old 09-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

That list includes cereals that have unspecified vitamin D. (I looked up Froot Loops for example) PETA's 'accidentally vegan' food list is notoriously lax.

Oops. I didn't even see that. Thanks for catching it.
#16 Old 09-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Beginner

Some packages of cereals of the Organic and natural ones lists ok for Vegetarians or vegans also just to let you know.
#17 Old 10-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Beginner

I looked at a box of Post Frosted wheat, and NO GELATIN! I used to really like the Mini wheats, but haven't had any for so long I don't want them mow
Post had no dairy, nor vit D either!
#18 Old 10-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Beginner

Some countries sell "accidentally vegan" versions of cereals with vitamin D. Kashi has a few vegan flavours, as well as a company called Nature's Path.

My username is ColossalCupcakes in hopes that my spelling will improve enough so that I can spell Colossal without spellcheck. Oh, and I like cupcakes.
#19 Old 10-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Beginner

If you go to Kellogg's site they have tick box that you can click for vegan and they will show you all the products they have that are, such as frosties ;D I believe they are also working towards stabilizing and getting vitamin D from other sources so they can remove the current one from use as well (which is from sheepz wool) I also know weetabix are vegan too (i can only vouch for the normal kind but the other kinds may be too) and i pretty much just use those two personally
Also if you email certain supermarkets such as tesco and ask nicely they may send you a full list of own brand vegan products which of course list any own brand vegan cereal products they sell
#20 Old 10-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Beginner

^That's just the U.K.
#21 Old 10-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Beginner

I still don't get anything anymore by kelloggs because the HFCS
#22 Old 10-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

I still don't get anything anymore by kelloggs because the HFCS

I'd rather eat a little high fructose corn syrup at breakfast than something not vegan.

www.animal-adoptions.org

#23 Old 10-05-2011, 03:38 AM
Beginner

Quote:

I'd rather eat a little high fructose corn syrup at breakfast than something not vegan.

+1. I'll take some HFCS over some pus, blood or random animal parts any day.
#24 Old 10-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Beginner

I found Peace Cereal at a discount store! I got one with freeze dried berries, corn flakes, and oat clusters-and it says VEGAN on the front! Very happy!
#25 Old 10-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Special K with red berries is free of vitamin D and appears vegan to me. Oddly enough, plain Special K (sans berries) has whey in it. I get the red berries kind for $2.50 a box and eat it with almond milk. Yum. The vitamin D thing is VERY annoying.

Wish they were vegan in the UK too! Used to be my favourite cereal.
#26 Old 10-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Beginner

Some Kashi cereals are vegan, though not as many as you would think. They seem to like putting honey in almost everything. I do know that their GoLean Crisp (not the regular or crunch) is vegan, as is their Heart to Heart Blueberry Clusters cereal.
#27 Old 10-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Beginner

regarding vitamin D, it's not necessarily D3. I've contacted General Mills a couple of times (seriously, I could eat my own body weight in Cheerios). It's that GM buys it from a third party supplier and they can't guarantee the source.

Some of the Kashi cereals are vegan (some have honey) and they are in most large supermarkets now. I've seen Nature's Path in lots of big stores too, and they have loads of vegan options. Also, be sure to check the cheapo store brands of cereals as sometimes they're not fortified, which is where you run into trouble with lots of the brand names.

To the op: what stores do you have near you? Kroger, SuperTarget, Meijer, Publix, etc? If there are any large stores that have a "health food" section, you might try looking there.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#28 Old 10-25-2011, 12:28 AM
Beginner

Quote:

New vegan as well. I'm going to try Special K cereals. Thanks for sharing!
#29 Old 11-01-2011, 07:03 AM
Beginner

Always check generic and store brands.
Aldis "Special K" type with red berries doesn't disclose the source of D, but the plain doesn't have D at all, and is vegan. Certainly cheaper!
What gets me is most all (all?) Whole Foods 365 brands have animal things in them.
#30 Old 11-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Beginner

Life cereal (one of my favorites) is vegan. So is cinnamon Life.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page