Reasons to Stay Vegetarian/Vegan - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Beginner

Reasons to be Vegetarian/Vegan

For moments of weakness when the temptations may reach us

1. Animals in the food industry are horribly mistreated.

Animals in the food industry are branded, dehorned/debeaked/etc., raised in their own feces, and killed. Methods of killing include electrocution, slitting of the throat, an insertion of a metal rod that protrudes the brain by splitting through the forehead, etc. In many cases, a combination of many of these methods are usedwhile the animal is still breathing and feeling. The removal of organsmore often than notare done while the animal is still alive and conscious.

2. Speciesismthe belief that one is superior due to their placement on the food chain

We have learned not to eat humans. We have learned and have known not to put humans in gas chambers, not to starve them, not to raise them in their own excrement, not to slit their throats and take out their organs as they continue to breathe and feel and bleed, not to disrespect the corpses of humans by cutting their bodies apart and selling them for mass profit, and much more through various points in history. (The most obvious example would be the Holocaust.) What makes us so different from every other animal? Yes, we have a larger intellectual capacity, but when the basics come down to the basics, everything is the same: We love, we feel pain, we think, and we live. If we refuse to put humans through such treatment, and look down on people who do, why should we turn a blind eye when millions other creatures are going through similarly devastating treatment every day? Which brings us to our next two points

3. Evolution.

(For the science geeks/nerds out there.)
If we have evolved from our primal ancestors and learned not to eat humans, can we not learn to survive without the consumption of any animal flesh? For the egoists (or whatever you would like to call it) out there, can we not prove ourselves to be the ultimate animals on the top of the food chain? We have the ability to digest meat, and this inherited trait gives us the primal craving for meat. However, if we prove that we are able to resist this temptation when other animals find that they cannot, if we prove that we are able to distinguish what we truly need and what we truly want, does that not make us superior?

4. Religious Reasons

I won't go into all of the religious reasons to avoid any religious disputes. But one thing I have noticed in all religions is that everything in this world, every creature, is made by The Creator(s) (<- insert whatever name you have for this creator, if you'd like). We worship this Creator regularly, and hold everything that the Creator says, does, and makes holy. Shouldn't the same go for animals, creatures who, like us, the Creator has granted the gift of life? How can we treat something that our beloved Creator has made in such a matter?

The list may be short, but the reasons are infinite.

Just a quick list I made up when I noticed that a lot of vegetarians/vegans revert back to eating meat in a heartbeat. I thought it would be helpful for any new vegetarians/vegans when they felt cravings for meat, felt frustrated when people in their lives tried to force them to eat meat again, or just felt any other moment of weakness. A lot of people I know said that it helped them to carry the list around, and read it over whenever they felt the urge to eat meat, and someone referred me to this forum and suggested *cough*demanded*cough* that I put it up.

Feel free to add more.

Carry on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Beginner

Great list, but I don't think "a lot" of veg*ns go back to meat, maybe the new one with no willpower, but not ones like myself and the majority of the people on the boards, we are in for the long haul. Awesome list though, I'm posting it to my FB page.

There are no reasons to not go vegan, only excuses.
#3 Old 02-11-2011, 06:15 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLines View Post

Great list, but I don't think "a lot" of veg*ns go back to meat, maybe the new one with no willpower, but not ones like myself and the majority of the people on the boards, we are in for the long haul.

You will eventually be surprised, unfortunately.
#4 Old 02-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

You will eventually be surprised, unfortunately.

I hope not.

There are no reasons to not go vegan, only excuses.
#5 Old 02-11-2011, 06:28 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLines View Post

I hope not.

I hope so too. I just know so many former VB members, and people IRL, who started eating meat again. It's hard to understand.
#6 Old 02-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Beginner

The first time I went veg, I started eating fish again after 1.5 years of being vegetarian (I'm now a real veg again.) I was a very active VB member beforehand, and never thought of myself as someone with no willpower or someone who wasn't committed. I guess it is hard to understand, but somehow, somewhere along the way I just lost my way. I let myself forget why I was doing it. I never thought that would happen to me, but it did. I'm not saying that it happens to everyone, or trying to make excuses, but it CAN happen, and I think it's great to remind ourselves of why we're doing this.
#7 Old 02-13-2011, 07:03 AM
Beginner

probably not as eloquently written but

5. The Environment
Factory farming and feed lots contribute to erosion. New strains of weird GMO crops and the "necessary" new pesticides and fertilizers developed to maintain them.

6. Your Health
Be selfish! Remember what youre doing good for you! Lower (if not zero for vegans) cholesterol, less fat, less carcinogens (BBQed meat), better digestion, more fiber... could go on...

7. For Peace
Not contributing to evil, but contributing to the message that it is wrong. Teaching others to treat not only animals but other humans with respect and tolerance.
#8 Old 02-14-2011, 06:29 PM
Beginner

I agree with ashlend, I went back and forth on the vegetarianism quite often. Almost always, I'd be vegetarian for a year or two, before going back to omni for a year, etc. etc. Since I went years without eating meat, I don't think it was willpower that changed my motivations for eating/not eating meat, but my philosophy changed. When I first started, I did it for environmentalism and health. Now I'm back again, but this time it's more deeply rooted in compassion for animals.
#9 Old 02-15-2011, 01:07 PM
Beginner

I was a vegetarian in college and then started to eat meat again for a few years. I then stopped again, was a vegetarian for three years and now a vegan for a little over a year now.
I personally always felt bad about it. Now I'm focused and my mind is clear on why I'm doing this. It's now my way of life and I can't see me going back. But it can and does happen, unfortunately.

Atame.
#10 Old 02-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Beginner

If I give in now that will confirm that I have absolutely no willpower.
#11 Old 02-17-2011, 02:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftiness View Post

If I give in now that will confirm that I have absolutely no willpower.

It doesn't mean that at all! It just means, like all things we try, you start off as a beginner and you get better at it as you go and maybe you go back and forth a bit but if you really want to do this, you will keep coming back and keep trying. I tried different versions for years before I got here where I am happy. I basically adjusted my diet as I got more and more information. What I do is eat no dairy but I do eat eggs from well looked after chickens and I happily eat bivalves grown locally. These foods plus fruit and vegetables don't harm me, the environment, or sentient animals. Although I would love to, I'm not eating oysters everyday so most of my meals are vegan.

MikeLines, maybe you're lucky? I know so many people who have moved from omni to different versions of vegetarianism and back again. Some of my friends have compromised a little (eg they eat fish or are vegetarian except x that they can't resist) because that's the level they can actually sustain long term. The important thing to me is to reduce your animal product consumption, so having a meat free Monday is better than not at all, you know? And having meatless meals once or twice a week on a regular basis might mean your vegetarian repertoire improves and it makes you think maybe it wouldn't be so hard to go the whole week after all.

Being kinder to myself helps me stay here.

Billie
#12 Old 02-17-2011, 04:30 AM
Beginner

I meet ex-vegetarians on a fairly regular basis. Some of them are condescending to those who are currently vegetarians, and some are not. One of my friends tells me she enjoys vegetarian food and doesn't know what happened that after 9 years she just gave up. When she cooks now for her family, it's heavily meat-based.

It would be nice to figure out what might happen that could turn me not-vegetarian, so that I have a backup plan to keep it from happening.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#13 Old 02-17-2011, 06:08 AM
Beginner

I find it falling out of a veg*n lifestyle starts as a downward spiril (sp?). First you're at a party and you see something like chicken wings. Mmmmmmm chicken wings. Your friends start telling you "one won't hurt you", maybe they're right, it's only one, right?

So you eat it. Oh boy...you feel the grease, the sweet and the salty.
You have another, and then one more...only three chicken wings.

Before you know it, you've had the whole plate. You're ashamed, or maybe you're excited. Remember the days when you could eat whatever you wanted? No more strange looks, no more awkardness, I've been freed. Then it moves from chicken, to beef to pork and then you're a full fledge meat eater.

Stop it at the source. If you find that you're easily influenced, then keep mantras that will help you avoid temptation. Mine usually is "you've gone this far, don't lose it or they will have won." If you're doing the veg*n for the animals, you need to keep that in mind. Arm yourself with veggie friendly foods and avoid temptation.

Good luck!

~ Namaste ~

follow me @GreenMommaCow
#14 Old 02-22-2011, 01:12 AM
Beginner

It's sad to think people go back to eating meat. I'm the only vegan I know however. 5+ years, I can't imagine going back. For me willpower has nothing to do with it. If I had that, I'd be thin.

I can understand it's harder on younger people and/or those who socialize more. But I could never imagine going back.
#15 Old 02-22-2011, 03:56 AM
Beginner

If you pluck a leaf, flower or stem, the plant may grow again, but if you cut a body part or kill any animal then they cant grow or revive. Have this in your mind and be motivated positively. You are neither harming others nor harming your health by eating vegetarian foods. You are indeed helping your body live a healthy life.
All the best.

Miracle Mineral Supplement | Resveratrol Australia
#16 Old 02-22-2011, 04:06 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

It would be nice to figure out what might happen that could turn me not-vegetarian, so that I have a backup plan to keep it from happening.

I guess this is the one good thing about my having reverted to pescatarianism for a while. I came back to vegetarianism more solid in what I believe and really regretting having ever left, so I'm very sure that it won't happen to me again. In my case, it was a combination of not having enough information about the fishing/fish farming industries, and thinking I needed fish for omega-3s to be optimally healthy (I'm now much better informed on both counts.) Plus, I missed fish. I still do miss it, but now I have more solid reasons why I'm not eating it that can help get me through my moments of temptation.

I think this incident will help me be a committed, lifelong vegetarian.

My only vegetarian friend actually just reverted to meat-eating recently (all types of meat.) I was shocked as she was the last person I would have ever thought that would happen to. But she recently divorced her vegetarian husband so I'm wondering if that doesn't have something to do with it... maybe her veg*nism was for him all along and not for her own reasons?

I know someone else who used to be vegetarian and "doesn't know" why she went back to meat eating. I find that a little annoying. At least, if you make a decision, no matter what the decision is, you should know what your reasons are.
#17 Old 02-22-2011, 05:12 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

The first time I went veg, I started eating fish again after 1.5 years of being vegetarian (I'm now a real veg again.) I was a very active VB member beforehand, and never thought of myself as someone with no willpower or someone who wasn't committed. I guess it is hard to understand, but somehow, somewhere along the way I just lost my way. I let myself forget why I was doing it. I never thought that would happen to me, but it did. I'm not saying that it happens to everyone, or trying to make excuses, but it CAN happen, and I think it's great to remind ourselves of why we're doing this.

This isn't particularly aimed at you Ashlend, but I don't know how anyone can go back to eating fish just based on the smell alone!

I was walking through a food market last weekend which had quite a large fish section and the stench of fish flesh in the air was repulsive. I've normally got quite a strong stomach for that kind of thing, but I actually had to pull my t-shirt up over my nose so I could make it through to the other side of the market without gagging. I was thinking that there's no way I could eat that stuff again! The weird thing is though, that later that night at a restaurant, I ordered fried faux prawns.

m8itcanw8.com
#18 Old 02-22-2011, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

It's sad to think people go back to eating meat. I'm the only vegan I know however. 5+ years, I can't imagine going back. For me willpower has nothing to do with it. If I had that, I'd be thin.

Ha! Same here.

I find it easy to avoid animal products because with all I know I feel a deep visceral disgust just thinking about them, not appetizing at all. It's a pretty different story with (vegan) cake or cookies though. My only motivation for avoiding those is vanity, and I am not more vain than I am a chocoholic

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#19 Old 02-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Beginner

I became vegetarian because i couldn't tolerate the taste of meat or seafood anymore. i would get sick for days after eatting it. then i'd eat it again because i'd feel better and then i'd be sick for days again. i broke the cycle. I'm very happy that i decided to do it because i didn't like the taste (or smell... especially fish).
#20 Old 02-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Beginner

A lot of it has to do with your surroundings. If your friends and your family are pressuring you to eat meat-- eventually you'll cave into the pressure.

That is a great list for those who need a reminder-- especially if their surroundings aren't as supportive. Great job!
#21 Old 03-02-2011, 07:45 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal Pistol View Post

I became vegetarian because i couldn't tolerate the taste of meat or seafood anymore. i would get sick for days after eatting it. then i'd eat it again because i'd feel better and then i'd be sick for days again. i broke the cycle. I'm very happy that i decided to do it because i didn't like the taste (or smell... especially fish).

Me too. I have not felt sick at all since removing all meat from my diet. I had a one second mouth water smelling the chicken wings my hubby was eating, but it passed quickly and I wasn't even tempted.
#22 Old 03-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Beginner

The only motivation I seem to need:

If I ever start to think about meat/wonder about it - whether it's smelling something that reminds me of mum's roast dinner, or I'm just REALLY hungry and the only thing open is a McD's - I just seriously consider eating it. Imagine actually putting it in my mouth and chewing, thinking about the flavour. And as soon as I start to vividly imagine that process, I know I genuinely wouldn't be able to follow through with it. Don't really know why, just know that there's no way I could ever knowingly eat meat again.
#23 Old 03-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Beginner

^ Wow, that's the exact same thing I do!
#24 Old 03-03-2011, 05:32 AM
Beginner

Main motivations for me:

I used to suffer from severe excema for more than 10 years that has dissapeared completely since going vegetarian!

Also I used to have sensitive bowel syndrome the past 10 years, meaning I'd have bowel cramps and pains all day every day and visiting the bathroom way too much. This has also gone completely since going vegetarian.

Probably I have been allergic to meat all along, I don't know. It's a huge change, and I'm really very happy about it as it has made my daily life so much more comfortable.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
#25 Old 03-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Beginner

Because I want to help and I think this is the smallest thing I could do. When I see those cows on farms or any other animal treated that way, it makes me sick and angry, and I have an urge to make sth to help them out, and by doing this, I feel like I'm doing sth right.

Also, I think it's healthier and it makes you more creative. Most of the omnis basically eat meat and potatoes (at least here) with salad almost every day, but veg*nism makes you think your meals

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page