Vegetarian Options At McDonalds? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Beginner

(stupid question ahead)

So, a lot of my friends drag me to McDonalds often because they think it's amazing for some reason (maybe it's just a teenager thing for non-vegetarians or something...). Just wondering if there's anything that I can eat there that's vegetarian (other than the obvious things like drinks, muffins, cookies, etc). It's kind of a pain for me because I'm often hungry when I go there and I don't know if anything from there that I can eat, so I either just get a drink when I go or nothing at all. I don't think I could even get fries from there, aren't they made with animal fat? I live in Canada, if location makes any difference in their menu options... btw, I know McDonalds is disgusting and unhealthy, but I wouldn't be bothered by eating there once in a great while if I was super hungry, as long as what I ordered didn't contain meat or animal fat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Beginner

I can only give you a list of vegan options for McDonalds in the US. I've been making a big list of vegan restaurant options and McDonalds is on it surprisingly! Can't remember the last time I ate there though lol but I like to be prepared just in case. I wouldn't be surprised if the cheese had rennet, and I know for sure the fries are not vegetarian. Good luck! I know how hard it can be to go out to eat with friends sometimes, my college town is nothing but fast food, Tex Mex, and a Chili's.

The list:

Apples without dip

Mandarin oranges

McDonaldland cookies

Premium Asian Salad - NO CHICKEN

Side salad

Cilantro lime glaze

Newman's Own Low Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette

Newman's Own Low Fat Sesame Ginger

Orange glaze

Potato vegetable blend (I have no idea what this is...maybe in some breakfast item??)

English muffin

Flour tortilla

Leaf or shredded Lettuce, Onions, Pickles, Tomato

Regular bun, Sesame seed bun

BBQ sauce

Chipotle bbq sauce

Ketchup

Liquid margarine

Mustard

Apple juice

Orange juice

Iced tea

Powerade

-- I didn't include sodas because I'm not sure if they are vegan
#3 Old 06-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Beginner

Not sure about Canada, but in the US, even the fries at McDonald's aren't vegetarian. They're flavored with beef.

--Fromper

#4 Old 06-03-2010, 08:05 AM
Beginner

A friend of mine who is also going / living veg*n works at jack in the Box (i know not Micky D's..) She however makes herself veggie samis there.

Based on teh VERY helpful list above perhaps you can ask to have them custom make you something

perhaps one of the buns or torillas with a sauce (on the list) and all the veggies they have(find out about the potato blend too)? Or ask them for the salad doubled without the meat (see if they will sell it to you the same price since you aren't getting the "meat")...

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#5 Old 06-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Beginner

In Canada, fries are not made with any animal products. I try not to eat that crap either, but sometimes I cave and get fries when my husband goes and gets food for himself.

Vegetarian since 1/4/2010

Did you know that 1 in 100 babies are born with a congenital heart defect? Mine was 1 in 100.....proud mom to the strongest kid I know!!
#6 Old 06-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Heart Mom View Post

In Canada, fries are not made with any animal products. I try not to eat that crap either, but sometimes I cave and get fries when my husband goes and gets food for himself.

Thanks for the clarification. I know the fries have beef in the US, but not in the UK, from all the past posts on VB. Wasn't sure about Canada.

--Fromper

#7 Old 06-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Beginner

http://www.mcdonalds.ca/pdfs/IngredientFactsEN.pdf

Pg 12 for fries

Did you know that 1 in 100 babies are born with a congenital heart defect? Mine was 1 in 100.....proud mom to the strongest kid I know!!
#8 Old 06-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Beginner

Is it bad that I'm now slightly excited that I can eat McDonalds fries? I used to eat them way too much before going vegetarian, but haven't eaten them since I went vegetarian. Nice to know that I can go overboard once in a while and eat them. Thank you so much guys!
#9 Old 06-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Beginner

Honestly, before I found out Canadian fires were vegan, I was secretley happy I couldn't eat them! I have cut out 99% of processed/fast food from my diet, but McD's fries are SOOO good (all things in moderation!!). But now that I found out what is in them (or more importantly, what is NOT in them), I have caved to the cravings more times than I would like to admit. AND since it is the only thing I can eat at McD's (I make a WAY better salad for cheap), I end up getting a large fry, and they are gone quite quickly! I wonder if I should start telling myself that I can't eat them......

#10 Old 06-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Beginner

Yes the fries are vegan in Canada.

Personally I try to stay away from big corporations in which animals are their main commodity.
#11 Old 06-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Beginner

yuck I don't like Mcdonalds or fast food. But can't you just get a salad and their apples?
#12 Old 06-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Beginner

water
#13 Old 06-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajeff View Post

water

Half of the time I don't trust getting that from a fast food joint, or any place for that matter!

I really don't like it when I'm not in control of what I'm getting. Whether it be the lack of something wholesome and nutritious, or knowing exactly what's REALLY in it. It's not that I like to be difficult, it's just that I am so conscious of what I put in my body.
#14 Old 06-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Not sure about Canada, but in the US, even the fries at McDonald's aren't vegetarian. They're flavored with beef.

--Fromper

Gross! I'm glad I refused to eat ANYTHING from fast food places. I don't even want to drink the sodas.
#15 Old 06-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Beginner

I guess I could see someone being ethically okay with giving money to McDonalds if they were vegetarian for health reasons and bought only water... maybe. Just because your friends support greedy corporations doesn't mean you have to.

Just a couple examples among many of why McDonalds might not be the first place you want to throw your money at.

Child Labor:

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/55/336.html

Amazon Deforestation:

http://news.mongabay.com/2006/0406-greenpeace.html

Sorry, I don't mean to come off as being facetious I just hope that you'll look into what exactly you're supporting before you give companies your business.
#16 Old 06-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan_fabiani View Post

Yes the fries are vegan in Canada.

Personally I try to stay away from big corporations in which animals are their main commodity.

That's one way to look at it, and I understand your point about big corporations. But here's another point. Don't you think that when products that don't contain animals are more widely available, this is a positive step for the animals? It's not like McDonald's or Burger King use the profits from salads or veggie burgers to fund violence towards animals. If people support the individual products, the corporations may gradually change to include more of them in the months and years ahead. Imagine a world in which fast food restaurants still exist, but their entire menu is vegan.

Tam! RUGH!
#17 Old 06-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Heart Mom View Post

I wonder if I should start telling myself that I can't eat them......

You can eat them if you want to, but this may help with that.

I worked at McDonald's in the US for over 10 years. (Don't mock me!) Although the fries are cooked in vegetable fat, when it got really busy, we cooked chicken in the french fry fryers. I'm not saying this happens everywhere, but I think it's a pretty common practice.
#18 Old 06-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Beginner

Wow... I really regret eating McDonald fries....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page