Question about quinoa and bowel movements - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Beginner

I have been cooking up some red quinoa using this recipe: http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/veget...ish-quinoa.php

Anyway, I am constantly finding it in my stool and it's kinda gross. Is quinoa supposed to fully digest or is it kinda like corn or am I just not cooking it right!? Any advice on this matter would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Beginner

I'm not sure why this is happening..

I eat lots of quinoa and haven't had this problem at all! Do you cook yours until it curls, or are the 'grains' still round? ( The grains open into a semi-curl after you cook it long enough.. )

PS Quinoa is VERY well digested! It could also be that it isn't rinsed it well enough, because it has a wax-like coating on the 'grains' as a natural bug repellant & protector. This could prevent your body from digesting it too..

So.. my only idea is to rinse better (soak in cold water for 10 mins, then drain & start to cook) and cook until it curls up softly and is very fluffy to the touch..

Good luck!

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#3 Old 02-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Beginner

Nope, haven't had any problems either. and it's so small to begin with. Are you sure quinoa is the problem, and not something else in your diet? Thanks for a new site for me to check out BTW! the quinoa needs to cook a full 15-20 minutes, until it spirals, like Luxxi said. Good luck!

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside! www.TheHolisticDragonfly.com
My previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#4 Old 02-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Beginner

Maybe try without tomatoes and onions? Or eat a fruit dinner instead with a green salad - those will digest fully.
#5 Old 02-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Beginner

Food combining theory:

http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxifi...-combining.htm

10 tips for good digestion:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Top10TipsforGoodDigestion

Digestion/fatigue, another chart on food digestion times (longer time than other charts):

http://www.naturalways.com/toxicgut.htm
#6 Old 02-25-2010, 06:21 AM
Beginner

Quinoa is a seed, and a tiny one at that. Seeds often pass through the digestive tract intact if you don't chew them up well enough. I wouldn't worry too much about it, really.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 03-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Beginner

Love quinoa, never have any digestion problem with it.

I looked at the recipe and I don't think theres enough liquid. Quinoa should be cooked with a little more liquid than quinoa, like 2 cups broth to 2 1/8 (roughly). I wouldn't think the tomato sauce would be enough to fully cook 2 cups quinoa with only 1 3/4 cup broth. Simmer for 20 min. then cover and let stand.

Is your quinoa kinda chewy? That would be undercooked. It should be very fluffy, more like cous cous.
#8 Old 03-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Beginner

like most ppl have said, you're likely not cooking it long enough. i'm willing to guess the ones you're passing are still hard shells and have not got the 'spiral/tail' on it.
#9 Old 03-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Beginner

Are you cooking the quinoa before you combine it with the tomato sauce? Mixing anything with something acidic like tomatoes before they're cooked can keep them from cooking down. That's why recipes have you saute onions before you put them in tomato sauces.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#10 Old 03-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Beginner

thanks for the replies everyone! I suspect not cooking fully is the culprit. It is still kinda chewy. thanks again
#11 Old 03-13-2010, 04:15 AM
Beginner

Certain shells, like those on corn are hard and protective by design. This makes them difficult to fully digest. The same cannot be said for the centers.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#12 Old 03-14-2010, 08:18 PM
Beginner

Psyllium Husks are amazing for helping bowel movements in case you have issues still.
#13 Old 03-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursbob View Post

psyllium husks are amazing for helping bowel movements in case you have issues still.

agreed!
#14 Old 03-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Banned

So, today I bought quinoa in a box. I hastily made some and enjoyed it, a nice bowl full. The problem was that an hour after I ate the quinoa I broke out with a rash (tiny red dots on my arms). I'm accustomed to this rash, it's how I usually show signs of an allergy. Most recently I had the same rash out a year ago when I found out I was allergic to the antibiotic, "Apo-Amoxi" (amoxicillin).

Anyways, back to the quinoa. I think I may have made a mistake by using the quinoa out of the box. Should I have washed it? Apparently the saponin that is on the quinoa hulls is a toxin, could this have caused my reaction? I don't have any of the symptoms others seem to be having (on boards dealing with quinoa allergies). it's been two hours now and I did not vomit, or have any bowel movements, or pain. Just a rash. I'm just concerned at why I am having such a different reaction. Also, do any of you think that aside from not washing the quinoa, that I'm allergic to quinoa itself?

Thanks and much love.
#15 Old 03-26-2010, 10:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

So, today I bought quinoa in a box. I hastily made some and enjoyed it, a nice bowl full. The problem was that an hour after I ate the quinoa I broke out with a rash (tiny red dots on my arms). I'm accustomed to this rash, it's how I usually show signs of an allergy. Most recently I had the same rash out a year ago when I found out I was allergic to the antibiotic, "Apo-Amoxi" (amoxicillin).

Anyways, back to the quinoa. I think I may have made a mistake by using the quinoa out of the box. Should I have washed it? Apparently the saponin that is on the quinoa hulls is a toxin, could this have caused my reaction? I don't have any of the symptoms others seem to be having (on boards dealing with quinoa allergies). it's been two hours now and I did not vomit, or have any bowel movements, or pain. Just a rash. I'm just concerned at why I am having such a different reaction. Also, do any of you think that aside from not washing the quinoa, that I'm allergic to quinoa itself?

Thanks and much love.

So two hours later and the rash has subsided. I'm going to try quinoa again, but after washing it properly. if I get the same reaction, I guess I'm allergic to quinoa. I'll be sad if it happens because I discovered a great new food today. We'll see tomorrow.
#16 Old 03-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Beginner

I hope you have a better reaction tomorrow!
#17 Old 03-27-2010, 01:19 AM
Banned

Hm, I don't know. Personally, I find quinoa awful. It reminds me of eating mealy cardboard pellets. Yuck.
#18 Old 01-01-2014, 09:39 PM
Beginner

Yes, It's the Quinoa... I happened to me to and it's looks disgusting....

#19 Old 05-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Beginner

I have noticed the same thing.  Along with having to rinse 10-15 little quinoas out of my mouth after eating them.  I rinse and cook them thoroughly, and the open and curl.  I haven't tried soaking overnight.  I guess that's my next goal.  :)  Keep trying and good luck!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page