Vegetarian Diet & Grave's Disease (Hyperthyroidism) ~ - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Beginner

Around this time last year I started slowly changing my diet over to become as vegetarian as possible. My son has sensory issues,(Asperger Syndrome) which are so bad that it became impossible to cook meat in or around the house. He has, by choice, been a vegetarian since kindergarten. I never cared either way, but I had roommates/boyfriends who insisted on their steaks & hamburgers. I love being vegetarian, and it makes my son much happier also. Recently, I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease and now I am totally confused on what to eat and what not to. Does anyone have any input, dietary/recipe advice, or direct experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Beginner

Welcome! I found this website with a list of foods to avoid, but I really recommend you talk to a doctor about it because they can personalize that for you.
#3 Old 11-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Beginner

I haven't been diagnosed with Grave's disease, but have subclinicial hyperthyroidism. I think that I am in the early stages of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis which can have some hyper symptoms before your thyroid peters out completely and become hypo. I would definitely talk to an endocrinologist who specializes in thyroid diseases. Graves can be very hard to treat. A lot of women get put on antithryoid medicine and eventually get their thyroid removed because it is easier to treat that way. From the research I've done, iodine can be a problem for Graves patients. Soy also might be a problem, but I would definitely talk to someone who knows what they are talking about. I would eat a whole-foods, plant based diet as much as possible. Cut out the refined products.

Good luck to you.

The Big Bad.
#4 Old 11-27-2009, 01:53 AM
Beginner

yeah, I think too much iodine is an issue with hyperthyroidism, just as too little is a problem with hypothyroidism.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page