vegan monthly grocery expenses. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Beginner

How much does a healthy vegan diet cost per month? Can you list your monthly shopping list? I just wanted to get some ideas of what to eat to stay healthy and Im not sure what vitamins my body needs, nor what foods contain those vitamins.

Also, please include how many people contribute to consuming your monthly groceries, so you dont have to estimate "I spend $400 on 4 people therefore we each eat $100 worth of food," which, imo, is not a good estimation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-07-2009, 11:12 PM
Beginner

I'm going to have to dig up my receipts and get back to you on that one.
#3 Old 08-08-2009, 06:07 AM
Beginner

I think this is a great idea, because I too have often wondered. I buy for me and two toddlers, we're vegetarian but I don't buy milk or eggs. Diapers are a big part of my grocery bill, and I think I might start keeping track of my receipts as well so that I know what I can cut back on or improve on. I'll have to get back to you.
#4 Old 08-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Beginner

why is $400 on 4 people not a good estimation? i spend $75 USD/week for my family of 4. its mostly organic and mostly from scratch cooking. it varies for everyone based on how much cooking they do and how much they rely on convenience products. some people have more time to cook and some people have time and no desire.

buy whole grains in bulk if you have access to that. whatever seasonal fresh fruits and veggies are on sale is what goes in my basket. good quality oils, vinegars, and a variety of dried spices will help you as well.
#5 Old 08-08-2009, 08:39 AM
ket
Beginner

^ I think 400/4 people = 100/person doesn't exactly translate when you go down to smaller numbers of people -- for instance, you might still have the same big purchases, and you would actually spend more per person when you have fewer people in the house. I'm not too sure, as I was also confused by that.
#6 Old 08-08-2009, 09:33 AM
Beginner

I spend $45 - 50 a week on groceries. I cook most of my meals during the week, and my bf eats at least half of those meals with me.

I get mostly vegetables/fruits (baby tomatoes, tomatoes, spinach, zucchini, eggplant, lettuce, cucumbers, oranges, apples, potatoes) but also get

cereal

milk replacement

salad dressing

bread

tortillas

dog treats

rice

pasta

beans

canned tomatoes

breakfast bars

1 snack (usually chips or popcorn)

hummus

frozen veggies (green beans, carrots)

and whatever staples need to be replaced that week (flour, sugar, soy butter, oil, etc).

I usually bring a calculator with me to the store since I'm on a specific budget with food. :P

Pinterest: AquaLoveBird
#7 Old 08-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Covered in Waves

I spend about $40-50 a week, sometimes more if i'm buying a massive bag of rice, or a massive back of sugar (those i get about once every couple months).

So! I usually make a trip to produce section, where about 80% of my stuff comes from, anything from Artichokes to Zucchinis, all organic for me as well. Lentils I get EVERY week, they are a HUGe part of my diet, Vegan bread once a week or once every two weeks, my Vitamineral Green (which I get online), and just what ever sounds good. Luna bars are a must, and cereals, (I love the Kashi varieties) I keep a calculator, and make sure to include my tax, I currently have a dead end job till Uni starts, so I'm broke off my ass, which will only get worse, so my calculator is like GOLD to me.

I just love grocery shopping ^.^

Also, i live in Alaska, so my prices may or may not be higher then other areas of the country. But also, I buy for myself, since I live alone for now... and in the dorms, I really will not be feeding my roomies, so once again, my prices are for me only.

“Failing to fetch me at first, keep encouraged. Missing me one place, search another. I stop somewhere waiting for you.”
Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
#8 Old 08-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ad View Post

hummus

Where do you get your hummus? I always get it when I go to Mellow Mushroom with my friends, and it's DELICIOUS. But when I buy it from grocery stores it's absolutely disgusting. Do you happen to know a brand that is decent?

lol, thanks!
#9 Old 08-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subliminal_Heat View Post

Where do you get your hummus? ... Do you happen to know a brand that is decent?

No decent store brands exist (in my opinion). You need to make your own (and it's CHEAP and easy)
#10 Old 08-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Beginner

I spend about $NZ80 a week on groceries. Although I'm pretty rubbish with my shopping, and don't really skimp. I shop for one person- me

My typical list will include:

Milk (soy)

Oats (for breakfast)

bread

vegetables and fruit (usually apples is the core fruit, but I get a variety)

Chocolate

Crackers

Chewing gum

yoghurt

Some type of sauce e.g. sweet chilli sauce

Canned tomatoes

Fresh soup (I love fresh soup!)

Dried mango (sometimes)

Nuts- mostly almonds

Grains- rice, noodles, quinoa, cous cous.

Coke zero

Tea

God loved birds, he created trees.
Man loved birds, he created cages.
#11 Old 08-09-2009, 07:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

No decent store brands exist (in my opinion). You need to make your own (and it's CHEAP and easy)

This.

I am a household of one and spend about $40 to $45 when I go shopping. I don't always go every week, and I usually buy my produce on an as-needed basis, as it cuts down on waste. I buy what's seasonal and on sale as well. Buying in bulk also saves, as you're not spending money on fancy packaging. Prepackaged almonds, for example, can be as much as a dollar more a pound than the bulk-sold almonds.
#12 Old 08-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subliminal_Heat View Post

Where do you get your hummus? I always get it when I go to Mellow Mushroom with my friends, and it's DELICIOUS. But when I buy it from grocery stores it's absolutely disgusting. Do you happen to know a brand that is decent?

lol, thanks!

I buy Sabra hummus. :P

Most people I know don't like it. I have a weird obsession with it though. (:

Pinterest: AquaLoveBird
#13 Old 08-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Amen! SO cheap and SO easy. You can save a TON of money because hummus is a low-moisture food so you can freeze it well for months and only have to make it once in a while.

I'm going to have to keep better track. The thing is, I usually have heart attacks when things are on sale so that skews my results.

I bought six boxes of Black Bean & Chipotle Garden burgers the other day because we have a deep freezer and they were buy one get one free. You can't beat half price for Gardenburgers!

But now I won't have to buy them for ages, and while I could estimate the cost of them into weekly amounts, that' a lot of work. SO much stuff I don't buy every week or even every month because I buy in bulk or on sale. Nutritional yeast, dried beans, rice, Luna bars, quinoa, Gardenburgers (and basically anything else frozen, I buy when it's on super sales an buy a TON), Earth Balance, etc.

I probably weekly/months expenses like fresh fruits and veggies, soymilk, tofu, Tofutti cream cheese, etc. But I don't get everything at the same place, either. Some stuff comes from farmers markets, some stuff comes from the plain old grocery store, some comes from a local health food store (like nutritional yeast)...
#14 Old 08-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Amen! SO cheap and SO easy. You can save a TON of money because hummus is a low-moisture food so you can freeze it well for months and only have to make it once in a while.

I didn't know you could freeze houmous. I might try that.
#15 Old 08-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Beginner

Our grocery expenditures vary from $40-$50/wk to about $75 a week for two people. I'd guess we spend an average of $250-$300/month on groceries, though that also includes household items.

Yesterday was a $72 week for various reasons, including the fact that a lot of the stuff we use regularly that won't go bad (or can be frozen) was buy one get one free, so I got 2 big boxes of cereal, 2 jugs of laundry detergent, 2 tubes of toothpaste, 2 loaves of whole wheat bread (froze them, we have a half a loaf in the fridge still). Still that was $16 in groceries that we didn't NEED this week, so without that stuff I would have spent $54, which isn't bad... but then the other reason it cost that much was that I'm making my bf cook dinner once a week and he decided he wanted to make French Bread Pizza this week, and for such a simple meal, the ingredients were expensive (we don't usually buy processed stuff) -- $4 for vegan cheese (for me), $4 for dairy cheese (for him), $4 for veggie pepperoni (also for him), $2 for tomato sauce, $2 for salad stuff, $4 for 2 salad dressings because we didn't have any at home (this is just because I insisted he serve a vegetable with it) -- so that was a RIDICULOUS $20 for one meal (though I guess we'll use the salad dressings and extra cheese in the future for something else). We had friends over for dinner last night too... AND went to a bbq on saturday for which I made cupcakes and pasta salad... social food adds up too.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#16 Old 08-11-2009, 05:51 AM
Beginner

I spend $50 just for me, but groceries are expensive where I live. I spent almost $20 last week just on soy milk, some fruit and a couple packets of rice noodles.

I buy almost no convenience foods because I have multiple food allergies. A typical week's haul for me will be a few cans of beans, a can of tomato, one or two safe canned soups for lunches (Amy's brand usually, the lentil or split pea), rice noodles, a packet of tofu, fruit and whatever stapes (oats, etc) I need to replenish. My typical meal plan:

Breakfast is chocolate soy milk after my workout, and oatmeal mixed with applesauce after my shower

Morning snack is a canned fruit (I can't eat many raw fruits)

Lunch is a canned soup or rice noodle soup with a side fruit (usually strawberries or something special in season)

Afternoon snack is a bulky fruit (grapefruit, watermelon etc.) and a half cup of home-made trail mix

Dinner is a recipe (stir-fry, soup etc.)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page