VeggieBoards banner

I got published! (in a teeny-tiny way)

3K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Go Vegan 
#1 ·
I was an English major in college -- about 100 years ago. I work in Accounting, which proves God has a sense of humor! In my spare time (of which I have a very limited supply), I write. On a whim, I entered a contest in a local magazine last summer. We were challenged to write in a 1000 word essay a "slice of life" memoir. For some reason, I found that intriguing, so I gave it a shot. Made it into the top 12 finalists, which were published at an incredibly slow rate of 1 per month, starting in January. My month is October, so I'm in print now (and even got paid for it!). Now I can cross that off the bucket list. Just wanted to share my joy with my fellow veg-heads, as I consider you friends (you're a heckuva lot more supportive than most family!). Here's the link to my very short story: http://issuu.com/ohenrymag/docs
(just click on the picture of the October issue -- I'm on page 44 (the one with the little frilly socks in the corner). FYI, the magazine is called O. Henry because it is local for Greensboro, NC - home of O'Henry (William Sidney Porter) who wrote "The Gift of the Magi" among other famous short stories.

#4 ·
Congratulations, coexist! :hamster:

#6 ·
Congratulations! You are a very talented writer!

I had to laugh when you said you were a former English major and now accountant because I can relate. I was an English major years ago and I am also a writer and dancer, but my career now is in medical coding and I spend all day calculating dosages of infusion drugs and extracting diagnoses and procedures from dry medical documentation lol.

Getting published is a huge achievement!

#9 ·
Congratulations! I look forward to reading it when I get a chance!

Aristede:book:

#10 ·
Well, I was proud of my little story -- and thrilled that people actually like it. In fact, I've become a bit of a celebrity at work! Then, I found out that my cousin, an Astrophysics professor at a major university, published a freaking BOOK. I am officially HUMBLED . . . will console myself with vegetarian food only - Promise!

#12 ·
No need to feel bad! Getting published at all is still a BIG DEAL! Very few people can say they have accomplished this so pat yourself on the back. I felt proud when I finally got my associates degree at the age of 42 (dropped out of college at 21) and earned my RHIT certification and landed a medical coding position this last summer. To most people it is no big deal and so many people have bigger degrees, but no one knows what I went through and how hard I worked to get my degree despite many obstacles. I can still be proud that I accomplished something I set out to do, and so can you. Still, I know how easy it is to compare ourselves to others. Someone will always be smarter, faster, richer, etc. Hold your head high and enjoy your veggie treats. :)

#13 ·
Congratulations! I graduate from a creative writing major this month... I've been published a few times, but nothing as good as a short story (I write for a magazine, and I haven't gotten exciting assignments yet)... and on top of that, you got paid for your writing! That's awesome. So few people want to pay people for writing these days.

Super happy for you! :D

#15 ·
Congratulations! I am writing a novel myself :) Great fun :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.