Artists - Where do you buy your supplies? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-30-2011, 12:40 AM
Beginner

We don't have any store in my city dedicated to art supplies. Where can you pick up canvasses, brushes, paints, etc? Also any recommendations for a complete newb? I literally no nothing about this stuff like what's good to buy...I know I don't want to do watercolor but outside of that I don't know the first thing about any of it. I have just had a desire lately to paint for some reason. Any help would be appreciated. Also, I'd rather not order online right now but could if I have to.

i hear in my mind all of these voices
i hear in my mind all of these words
i hear in my mind all of this music
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Beginner

Well, I know Pat Catans in my area as well as Micheals sells art related items. They have them here in Ohio, not sure about where you live though. Good luck finding things.

On a side note, you can make art beautifully with even the cheapest of tools. I've known artists to use just like dollar water colors and still pull off some pretty amazing art.

~ Kei Graves ~

#3 Old 12-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Beginner

Try an office supply store for art supplies. I used to work in a place that mostly did staplers and photocopying, but they also had canvases and acrylics for whatever reason. Also if you're just learning, I wouldn't waste money on canvases yet anyway. Go to a hardware store and buy squares of a smooth board and paint on those, great for learning

If that doesn't work, try ebay I suppose, you can get some stuff so cheap on there. I use golden acrylics, great brand but on the slightly more expensive end so probably not for starting.

Good luck and be sure to share
#4 Old 12-18-2011, 12:00 AM
Beginner

Aaron Brothers, which is a frame store, has art supplies. So does Michael's.

I started out doing oil painting, and it is by far my favorite medium. But if you're a beginner, try out acrylic paint. It's not as difficult to work with, and it's cheaper. I suggest taking a class to learn the basics. Once you master those, you can do whatever you want. A lot of people just pick up a brush and start painting, and it shows- their art is usually dreadful.

Let us know how it goes!

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#5 Old 12-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Beginner

I second the idea of Michael's, and most places that have a decent range of office supplies work too. Sometimes depending on where you get them, places that carry school supplies work also. It just depends on what you decide you want.

If all else fails and you absolutely must have supplies you can always go to Dick Blick's art supply online.

http://www.dickblick.com/

I don't do it often (their prices tend to be a little stiff for me most of the time) but on rare occasions when circumstances dictate I use them.
#6 Old 12-19-2011, 09:19 AM
Beginner

I am fortunate (or unfortunate, if you ask my budget) enough to have a Blick's store right around the corner, so I usually go there. Despite having breathtakingly expensive stuff, they also have great entry-level supplies that are actually cheaper than the same supplies at Michael's.

Also check office supply stores and even Walmart/meijer/target may have some cheapo stuff.

Good luck!!!
#7 Old 12-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Beginner

I totally agree about Michaels....they have great sales and clearence and 50% off coupons in their ads for regular priced items.

peaceful & hippie holidays

LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
#8 Old 12-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Beginner

Michaels! They once had a 200 pack of drawing pencils of a variety of lead strengths for only $5! [whether they were any good idk, I didn't have money at the time to buy them haha]

You call me sweet like I'm some kinda of cheese....vegan cheese 0.0
#9 Old 01-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Beginner

art school dumpster
#10 Old 02-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Beginner

Micheal's and Hobby Lobby for the most part. I devote so much money to school, bills, yoga and everything else that my art projects have to be frugal. Not to put their art supplies down. I certainly haven't had any problems with any acrylics or oils I've bought there as long as I don't buy the bottom shelf. When I need something really specific, I'll get online or go to a specialty store. Though that rarely ever happens. I love Micheal's because they always have sales going on.

"Be strong, get beyond all superstitions, and be free." ~Swami Vivekananda

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." ~MLK jr.

"It takes more distress and poison to kill someone who has peace of mind and loves life." ~ Bernie...

#11 Old 10-17-2012, 10:30 PM
Beginner

I buy almost all of my art supplies from Dick Blick as we have NO art stores around where I live. 

#12 Old 10-19-2012, 02:36 AM
Beginner

It changes everywhere. I live in Australia so unless you live here the stores I use probably won't be much help, but I find that the best art supplies stores, rather than being big chain stores are small local stores in each town/city. Your best bet would be to just google art supplies stores in your specific area and see what you can find. 

#13 Old 11-12-2012, 08:40 AM
Beginner

Either at Michael's or Jo-Ann Fabrics.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page