hair mousse substitutes? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-18-2008, 01:46 PM

Anybody got any natural substitutes for hair styling mousse? My hair is straight, long, limp and flyaway - I need a little mousse or styling gel to pouf out the bangs a bit to get them away from my face so hair is not laying flat on my head - but I'd like to find a natural alternative (like the baking soda and vinegar instead of shampoo thread). Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-18-2008, 05:48 PM

Here's a natural hair spray recipe:

2 to 4 lemons

Water

Slice the lemons and cover with water in a pan. Simmer for 1 hour, adding more water as it evaporates. Let cool, then strain. Pour the lemon liquid into a pump spray bottle.

Makes 2 to 3 cups.

Shelf life: About one week refrigerated.

Everything else I'm finding involves gelatin. You could try using agar powder or unflavored vegan gel and try the same thing. No guarantees on that, though.

I've also heard about using aloe vera gel.

#3 Old 05-18-2008, 10:50 PM

You have to be careful with lemon juice, If used frequintly, It can bleach your hair. I used to use it to lighten my (then blonde) hair when I was a kid.
#4 Old 05-19-2008, 12:41 PM

Hmm, the aloe vera sounds interesting - think I'll try it.
#5 Old 05-21-2008, 01:13 AM

couldn't a hair blower and round brush do the trick or is yours the type to fall flat again right after?

mine holds too well. i have all sorts of cowlicks and if l sleep on it a certain way it'll all be sticking straight up when i get up and it'd stay that way if i didn't wet it down. when i keep it real short i use gel or it goes afro-ish otherwise i don't need product at all really depending on what i want to do with it. but it's stubborn and i'm bad at styling so it's a lost cause either way

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#6 Old 05-22-2008, 02:23 PM

Ladyfaile - yes, mine is flyaway thin and falls flat right away. I'm not really into blow driers, they don't help much with styling anyway with my type of hair. I'lll try the aloe vera though - seems like a gel is what will work best.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page