vegan candles - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-04-2006, 07:16 PM
Beginner

Does anyone know where to get cheap vagan candles? All the ones I see seem so expensive. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-04-2006, 11:09 PM
Beginner

I was under the impression most candles were vegan???

I mean I thought it was just wax and a wick, neither are animal products right?

Its not like they put animal fat in the wax or anything (I hope).
#3 Old 02-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Beginner

Some candles are made with beeswax.

I could be wrong but my guess is that jaynesh is looking for vegetable based candles made from renewable resources rather than candles made with paraffin which comes from petroleum.

I wish I knew of an inexpensive place to suggest!
#4 Old 02-05-2006, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynesh View Post

Does anyone know where to get cheap vagan candles? All the ones I see seem so expensive. Thanks in advance.

There are candles based out of Austin called "Soy Sisters" They are not super cheap, but they last for a long time, and smell wonderful. My favorite is the "Sugar Cookie". http://www.soysisters.net/ Soy Sisters wicks are even hemp based.

Seda France are also great candles, and scent the WHOLE house. I'm not sure if they're cruelty free though. They are also based out of Austin. Seda France are not cheap though!
#5 Old 02-10-2006, 12:40 PM
Beginner

There's a site for BeansWax candles: http://www.beanswax.com/ They're made from soybean wax. I have NOT verified if they're vegan, but you could email them. They don't appear to be exceptionally cheap, but they're about the same price as, say, Yankee candles or other major brands.

I'm sure if you did a search for soy candles you'd probably find a lot of sites that make/sell them - and hopefully they'd be able to give you more info on whether they're vegan.

Another alternative is to buy some plant-based essential oils (like lavender, etc.) and get an oil warmer (they even make electric ones) - you put a bit of oil in a tiny saucer that sits on the top of it, and underneath is either a tealight candle or a small light bulb, which heats the oil and spreads the fragrance. Incense also might be another good alternative - many incense websites provide all sorts of details about what's in their incense. And there's quite an array of scents to choose from.
#6 Old 02-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Beginner

I'm guessing some candles do contain animal fat, because I bought these candles called "vegewax candles" and it says on the box "Contains no animal fats", and I'm guessing it wouldn't say that unless other candles did contain it.
#7 Old 02-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Beginner

If you are looking for vegan candles, then you want ones that are made out of 100% soy wax - and there are a lot of amazing ones out there!
#8 Old 02-11-2006, 02:39 AM
Beginner

So I guess my love for Yankee Candles is out?
#9 Old 02-11-2006, 09:59 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by goettling View Post

So I guess my love for Yankee Candles is out?

Yeah, Yankee Candle is not vegan friendly, let alone many of their scents are far too strong. you can find even better candles that are made of soy wax
#10 Old 02-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Beginner

I found some Christmas soy candles at Joann's ETC today. They're squarish 11 oz jars, with green "Merry Mistletoe" wax, made by "Evergreen & Ivy" (aka Hanna's Candles). The clearance price is $2.99 each. The identical candle in pastel colors is around $10, but they'll probably be marked down after Easter too.

There are pretty good deals online too, I discovered:

A 22oz jar candle that might be missing the lid:

http://www.candlemart.com/cgi-bin/or....pl?01-SY-q116

(If you search for "soy" at the above merchant's website, you'll find many other soy candles. A few soy candles are "buy 1 get 1 free" also.
#11 Old 02-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaE View Post

Yeah, Yankee Candle is not vegan friendly, let alone many of their scents are far too strong. you can find even better candles that are made of soy wax

See, that is what I like about them is their strong scent. I love melting the tarts also. Makes my house smell so good, but darn expensive.

Maybe I need to check out soy wax candles. Things I have learned on VB.
#12 Old 02-12-2006, 08:10 AM
Beginner

goettling, if you prefer a strong scent, I don't recommend the Hanna's/Evergreen & Ivy candles for you. The ones I sniffed/burned hardly have any scent at all.

On the other hand, the candles I've ordered from www.itsasoy.com in the past have been quite aromatic (but pricey)!
#13 Old 02-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Beginner

That candlemart was just was I was looking for. Ordered some candles, hopefully they will be great when they arrive. Lots of buy one get one free and some 2nd quality stuff which sounds perfect for my needs as long as they burn appropriately. Thank you everyone.
#14 Old 03-06-2006, 09:06 AM
Beginner

So it's been awhile and I just wanted to let everyone know that I love my candles and highly recommend them. Thanks for the help.
#15 Old 03-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Beginner

jaynesh, I ordered from candlemart.com too. The candles have been exactly as advertised, and nicer than I even expected, so I recommend them for the quality and price also.

My only complaint: Shipping the heavy glass jars meant that my order arrived in a HUGE box, filled up with

MASSIVE amounts of plastic bubblewrap and packing tape. I'm not so sure the benefits of vegetable wax candles outweigh the enviornmental damage caused by packing and transporting the candles. Opinions, anyone?
#16 Old 03-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Beginner

Yes I do see your point. Maybe they would be willing to pack it with paper products if you asked them. They seem really friendly and willing to accomodate requests.
#17 Old 03-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Banned

Whole Foods has tons of vegan candles.
#18 Old 06-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Beginner

100% soy candles can be bought through Shelby Distributing. They have a website. A 16oz Soy scentsations candle lasts about 150 hours. They do not contain paraffin.
#19 Old 06-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Beginner

Aloha Bay makes lots of vegan candles with nice scents. You can get a 1.2 oz jar candle with 12 hours burn time for only $1.88

http://yhst-48641225173758.stores.ya...t/candles.html

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page