• 2 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Dan Bukowski
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By pinkwolf

#1 Old 02-02-2016, 07:50 PM
Veggie Recycler

Cruelty Free Healthy Personal Grooming For Less

I think any DIY can go under frugal living, but it's also more environmentally friendly and you don't have to worry about the ethics of a company.

Some items I have made are tooth paste (coconut oil, baking soda, peppermint extract, stevia) and deodorant (coconut oil, corn starch, baking soda, essential oil of choice like lavender or cedar). I am wanting to transition to no poo or low poo, but I bought some organic shampoo on sale last month and am going to keep using that. I decided I'm just going to wash less, and use a natural dry shampoo to stretch the time longer (corn starch and cocoa powder since I have darker hair). I know that no poo can be a problem if someone uses too much baking soda, and water only isn't an option for me because I don't want hair oil smell, so I may eventually do low poo with a homemade shampoo from coconut milk or castile soap, I've been doing some reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-03-2016, 02:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to dilute pure essential oils like tea tree or lavender oil with water and use that to wash my hair, along with a vinegar rinse. Occasionally I would rub in some vitamin E oil or coconut oil if my hair got too dry. I did this my first two years vegan. Then I got lazier and started buying Dr. Bronners liquid castile soap. I only use that now, with very occasional coconut oil or vitamin E rubs. I have very short hair, but very very thick hair too.

I use washing soda, baking soda, pure lemon juice, and vinegar for cleaning. Lemon juice is great for cutting through oily substances or sticky surfaces. Washing soda works for grime in the bathtub. Vinegar I always use for wiping mirrors and windows, even in my car. I will sometimes add a little tea tree oil and baking or washing soda in the toilet to scrub.

I drink ginger tea for upset stomach/nausea, and also use peppermint oil in tea or in the bathtub. I've used Arnico trauma oil also for muscle strains. In 2012 I suffered achilles tendinitis and later a pelvic stress fracture and I used the oil and hot/cold soaks and consumed tons of turmeric and pineapple (for it's bromelein) and wore supportive wraps etc. i don't know how I managed without painkillers. I very rarely use them and never over the counter cold medicines and all that crap. I have given in to over the counter pain killers on very rare occasion when I had severe headaches. That's a tough one to figure out. I don't get headaches often at all, but they sure can be torture.

I have not tried making my own toothpaste but always leave that option open in case I ever find myself in a situation where plant based/vegan friendly commercial toothpaste is not available. I do use an organic toothbrush without dyes, but I do get my teeth cleaned and checkups on a regular basis (twice per year) and more than likely they don't use plant based toothpaste. :/

I have been fortunate to find more and more plant based products (also not tested on animals) for doing dishes and laundry, so have not felt the need to make my own as of yet. Sometimes for light dishes I simply use very hot water.

Most often my DIY projects are related to food: homemade mayonnaise, homemade vegan yogurt, homemade vegan cheese, nut/seed milks, bread/buns/tortillas, homemade peanut/nut butters, spreads, banana ice cream, that sort of thing. In the summer I grow my own stevia for a sweetener.

I think if I lived in a rural area where commercial vegan friendly products were harder to find, I would have more incentive for DIY projects.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 02-03-2016, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

I used to use a paste of baking soda and coconut oil with a few drops of Bronners peppermint castile soap. Really liked it, just balked at it being in a jar. I'd like to hack a tube to put it in. I've been using Trader Joes peppermint toothpaste which is pretty similar- I really dislike sweeteners in toothpaste.

I'm thinking about switching back to baking soda and water- I did a tablespoon to a cup of water for almost two years then became really sensitive to hair oil smell- not just mine but in general, Maybe menopause? Anyway, it was easy and looked good...I should find a essential oil I liked.

ANyone have a recommendation for an essential oil that smells like church incense? I had a really cheap frankinsense that did bought at a stall vendor so I don't know how to get it and the label was unreadable now. I just one from Vitacost.com but it doesn't smell anything like that- more like juniper berries
no whey jose likes this.

#4 Old 03-26-2016, 09:06 AM

I don't need much for personal care items I keep it simple with store-bought stuff. Dr. Bronner's castile soap for the shower. Whole Foods has the best price. $13.99 a bottle and I dilute half with water to get 2 bottles worth. Dr. Bronner's lotion. Tom's of Maine non-flouride toothpaste and deodorant bought in 3-packs on Amazon. I think I covered it all for me :-)

~Dan
www.vegmaste.com
Thalassa likes this.
#5 Old 03-26-2016, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

I use Bronners in an old foam soap dispenser- it only needs like 1/4 soap to 3/4 water (put water in first!) Makes a nice foam for hand washing

I bought Trader Joes peppermint toothpaste- which is the same as Toms of Maine I believe because I've had that before-- but cheaper. I think it's $1.99
TJ's nourish shampoo and conditioner are good too at $1.99 each for 16 oz bottles. Vegan and organic. I opted out of no-poo and got a haircut instead! I need very little anything now, just a light finger comb of coconut oil
Speaking of hair cut--I was about to give up on henna as it is sooo fussy to do, but super super cheap and natural. Now with short hair I'll do it more often.
Trader Joes midsummer night moisturizing lotion is great too! Vegan, herbal, and great for sensitive skin
Thalassa likes this.
#6 Old 04-23-2016, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Love this thread I make mynown toothpaste of baking soda, coconut oil, and peppermint essential oil. I use Dr. Woods lavender castile soap to clean with. For shampoo and body I use african black soap.
Thalassa likes this.

Tags
diy , grooming , health , low poo , no poo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page