ALDI love... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#1 Old 02-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Beginner

Since many of us shop at ALDI and they have so many great veg*n foods for cheap, I just thought I'd start a thread for those of us who love ALDI and want to share some good deals we have found there. Hopefully it will help others to save money.

Things I bought this week:

Red grapes for 79 cents a pound
Onions for 30 cents a pound (89 cents for a three pound bag)
Sunkist navel oranges for 1.99 (four pound bag)
Potatoes for 1.99 (ten pound bag)
Low-sodium soy sauce for 99 cents
Lentils for 79 cents (one pound bag)

I'm just loving ALDI right now.

Anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Beginner

Wow they really do differ by location when it comes to their selection. I have never seen lentils at any Aldi store I shop at. I'm so jealous! I love everything about Aldi. Their produce weekly deals are often phenomenal. I feel very fortunate because my store is one of the better ones. It's always super clean, fully stocked, has good quality produce and the employees are fantastic. So far this week I bought:

containter of brussel sprouts for $1.89
2 lb bag of carrots for 59 cents
romaine lettuce 89 cents
3 lb bag of onions for 59 cents
20 oz pack of roma tomatoes for 89 cents
10 oz pack mushrooms for 89 cents
17 oz bottle of balsamic vinegar for $1.99
eggplant for $1.59 each
also: canned tomatoes, hummus , hot sauce, various spices, canned black beans, kidney beans, and butter beans among other stuff I can't remember now.
You can't beat the prices and the fact that they have a decent selection of vegan items is a huge plus. Even their soymilk and almond milk (when available) is really good. A lot of their store brand items just happen to be "accidently vegan" and they occasionally will carry some well known namebrands for half the price of regular stores.

I'm sure I'll be back again this week since I go at least twice a week. I'm hoping that the next time they carry Amy's stuff as their "Special Buys of the week" they will include some vegan options. I'd love to find Amy's Roasted Pizza for $4-5 or less.
#3 Old 02-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Beginner

Gosh I *love* ALDI, but sadly there isn't one near me here
#4 Old 02-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Beginner

I love Aldis!!!
Most of their produce is grown in USA, and sometimes I find organic, fair trade labels.
I've bought Grandessa black bean and corn salsa, and mango salsa just because they had the VEGAN label! Haven't tried them yet.
I'd looked at Brenners french onion soup for my kids, and I know it said beef something. Last trip I looked again, and it was vegetarian with dairy!
Their bread is truly vegan, lacking the bird feather crap,-l something, most have. L'oven Oven.
I also love that you rent carts, need your own bags, and don't have a zillion choices.
Hummus, salsa, spaghetti sauce, fat free refried beans, canned tomatoes and chilies, jars of artichoke hearts,
Mushrooms were .59 a lb this week. Oranges .99 a four lb. bag-good too. Onions are always good, same Bland Farm others charge more for.
They often have nifty gadjets too.
Gotta know when to go!
#5 Old 02-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Beginner

Wow you guys are finding even better deals than I am!

A three-pound bag of onions for 59 cents? Mushrooms for 59 cents a pound? That's freaking phenomenal!

You go.
#6 Old 02-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Beginner

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#7 Old 02-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I have never seen lentils at any Aldi store I shop at. I'm so jealous!

ALDI often gets in special buys that are only for that particular store or sale. I went back for more lentils today and they didn't have them in stock.
#8 Old 02-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I love Aldis!!!
Most of their produce is grown in USA, and sometimes I find organic, fair trade labels.
I've bought Grandessa black bean and corn salsa, and mango salsa just because they had the VEGAN label! Haven't tried them yet.
I'd looked at Brenners french onion soup for my kids, and I know it said beef something. Last trip I looked again, and it was vegetarian with dairy!
Their bread is truly vegan, lacking the bird feather crap,-l something, most have. L'oven Oven.
I also love that you rent carts, need your own bags, and don't have a zillion choices.
Hummus, salsa, spaghetti sauce, fat free refried beans, canned tomatoes and chilies, jars of artichoke hearts,
Mushrooms were .59 a lb this week. Oranges .99 a four lb. bag-good too. Onions are always good, same Bland Farm others charge more for.
They often have nifty gadjets too.
Gotta know when to go!

I glanced and saw the black bean/corn salsa but now I wish I looked better to see if we have mango salsa. I didn't really need any so I didn't bother checking it out. Gotta put that on my list for next time.

I also love that you have to rent the carts, bring your own bags and package your own groceries. It prevents the littering of random shopping carts that constantly get scattered throughout other grocery stores. It gives people an incentive to stop being lazy and return their carts to their proper place. I appreciate how the company has their cashiers sitting in swivel chairs instead of being on their feet all day long. They also get paid a higher amount compared to cashiers at surrounding grocery stores (at least around here anyways).
#9 Old 02-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Beginner

The fruits and vegetables where half rotten in the one that was close to where I lived. I only bought things that where canned, frozen or boxed. I no longer live near there.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#10 Old 02-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I also love that you have to rent the carts, bring your own bags and package your own groceries. It prevents the littering of random shopping carts that constantly get scattered throughout other grocery stores. It gives people an incentive to stop being lazy and return their carts to their proper place.

I like that also. If I were a kid again I'd totally make extra money by hanging out in an ALDI parking lot and return people's shopping carts for them. I'd bet nine times out of ten they'd let me keep the quarter and I could supplement my allowance quite generously by doing so.
#11 Old 02-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Beginner

My Aldis has Mambas! Regular and sour. I don't see them anywhere else.
#12 Old 02-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Beginner

Quote:

My Aldis has Mambas! Regular and sour. I don't see them anywhere else.

Ours too! They hide them in the checkout lanes. Big Lots carries them also.

Another cheap deal at Aldi is their fresh flowers. All these people paying outrageous prices on flowers on Valentine's Day should've just gone to Aldi. Their regular flower bouquets are usually $2.99 .

Do your stores mark down bread that is close to expiring? Occasionally my store will mark down bakery and bread items to 50 cents when they start to get close to their expiration dates. They also do the same thing with the flowers.
#13 Old 02-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Beginner

I tried to find an Aldi with the store locator on their website. Couldn't find one... even in the neighboring states.
#14 Old 02-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Banned

deleted

#15 Old 02-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Beginner

I love ALDI shops! ALDI is very big here in Australia.

#16 Old 02-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Question: When I was growing up, we shopped at Aldi, but I stopped going there when I was in college because it was "cash only." I pretty rarely carry cash, so I have been hesitant to go back.

Are they still cash-only?

I don't think so. Here in Europe they aren't.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
#17 Old 02-24-2012, 04:10 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Question: When I was growing up, we shopped at Aldi, but I stopped going there when I was in college because it was "cash only." I pretty rarely carry cash, so I have been hesitant to go back.

Are they still cash-only?

Here they take debit cards and cash only. They don't accept credit cards.
#18 Old 02-24-2012, 04:58 AM
Banned

deleted
#19 Old 02-24-2012, 05:24 AM
Beginner

It would be worth the minor inconvenience of carrying a little bit of cash. I love Aldi. I need to go there this weekend; I'm hoping they still have some of the lentils so I can fill up my canister. I love checking their produce sales and designing my menus around what's on sale. I didn't notice the vegan label on that salsa but I did buy some of the mango; I'll have to look at it. There's a lot of product crossover between the special buys and the food at Trader Joe's so that could be why.

Some of my favorite things to buy:
Organic soy milk (cheap!!)
Brown rice in a microwave pouch, ready in 90 seconds
Tomato soup
Oat bran bread
Hummus (pretty sure it's the same as TJ's too, just not as many flavors)
Crescent rolls
Jumbo cinnamon rolls with no milk or eggs (woot! but check the label; they recently changed suppliers on the small cinnamon rolls which added eggs...hope the jumbo ones don't change too)
Plain shredded wheat (usually a special buy but it stays for a while and it's cheap)
Generic Oreos
Traditional marinara sauce
Canned beans & veggies
#20 Old 02-24-2012, 05:37 AM
Beginner

Has anyone else tried ALDI's take-and-bake baguettes? Holy crap are they awesome and like most of their bread products they are vegan. They bake up nice and crispy on the outside and all soft and warm on the inside. The ingredients list is also surprisingly short. I pick one up everytime I stop there, which admittedly isn't so good for my waist because I can devour a whole loaf pretty quickly.
#21 Old 02-24-2012, 06:52 AM
Beginner

I wish they still had them all the time like they used to - they show up as a special purchase occasionally now. I love them though. A lot of products at Aldi are surprisingly vegan....I guess because it's cheaper not to use animal products. But their unfrosted pop tart knockoffs have milk!
#22 Old 02-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Banned

Do they have canned pumpkin ? If so, how much ?
#23 Old 02-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Banned

deleted
#24 Old 02-25-2012, 04:55 PM
Beginner

They did have canned pumpkin around the holiday season for $1. I haven't seen it since then though.

I know each store location is different but my Walgreens has Libby's canned pumpkin on clearance for 70 cents. If you happen to live near a Walgreens and in need of canned pumpkin it might be worth giving them a call to see if they have any in stock still.
#25 Old 02-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Banned

deleted

#26 Old 02-25-2012, 05:39 PM
Eko
Beginner

I adore ALDI. Lots of great deals and really random things (my mom once bought a computer from there, it lasted a long time!). Sometimes produce is hit or miss, but they have a lot of vegan stuff (soymilk, nuts, canned beans) a lot cheaper than any other grocery. Love love love.

Some of those deals sound amazing! Since they've been adding more things, it seems like the deals aren't as great (but that is probably just because prices everywhere are going up).
#27 Old 02-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I just like to keep canned pumpkin around. Bunnies like it as a treat, plus it's very good to give them if they're sick and not eating. So I like to know where canned pumpkin can be obtained any time.

(I hoarded a couple dozen cans a few years ago when there was a canned pumpkin shortage. )

It's great and so versatile.
#28 Old 02-26-2012, 06:35 AM
Beginner

Ours still has canned pumpkin -- it's 99 cents a can.
#29 Old 02-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Beginner

I stayed away from the cinnamon rolls because they had transfat. Didn't get beyond that to check ingrediants.
Best thing about Aldis is NO meat smells. No fish dept. No rotisseries.
Once you know the store you don't even need to see it.

In the US they do only take cash or debit. My banks does charge $1.00 for using my card as debit, but appartently others don't. I just make a stop at the ATM.

They have the best frozen asparagus at $1.99.
And stir fry veggie mixes with teriyaki sauce

Oh yeah! Their fruit jels aren't gelatin!
#30 Old 02-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Best thing about Aldis is NO meat smells. No fish dept. No rotisseries.
Once you know the store you don't even need to see it.

So true! I don't even go near that area of the freezer section. It's so easy to avoid.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page