Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By mybell
  • 1 Post By Tom
  • 2 Post By Vanilla Gorilla
  • 1 Post By mybell

#1 Old 09-17-2014, 03:11 PM

Low-Sodium Minestrone Soup

All the recipes I create are low-sodium but this a big bonus for a soup recipe (most soups are quite high in sodium). The garlic, veggies and spices easily compensate for the no salt. I love this soup and make a batch of this every week and have a bowl for lunch most days.

http://mybell.hubpages.com/hub/Meatl...inestrone-Soup

LedBoots and ForestFaery like this.

Last edited by mybell; 09-18-2014 at 10:33 AM. Reason: picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-17-2014, 03:25 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

THIS recipe is a winner. I'll probably add more beans and wholegrain pasta to make it even heartier- or maybe I'll skip the pasta, and just have this with my own home-made salt-free bread. I'm not on a sodium-restricted diet and don't have high blood pressure, but if I eat too much salt I'm constantly thirsty.

Does this need to be cooked that long though? I see that the kale is added toward the end but I would have thought that a half-hour cooking time would be plenty, so long as the beans were cooked first.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#3 Old 09-17-2014, 03:54 PM

Yay! So glad that you like this recipe, Major Tom! I don't have high blood pressure either but it runs deep in my family and I'm on the other side of 40 and am determined to keep my BP low. Most people get way, way too much salt. I also get very thirsty with high-sodium foods. You could cook it a little less - maybe 30 minutes but be sure that you maybe spend an extra 5 minutes pre-cooking those veggies so they are nice and soft. Also, maybe add the pasta and kale earlier and yes, cooked beans. You could certainly double the beans or do pretty much anything to make it more your own. I have a ton of vegetarian recipes on that article page of mine and am adding more each week. It's my dream to have my own vegetarian recipe blog - about a year out.

#4 Old 09-19-2014, 06:25 PM

Blog looks great, recipie looks great too. I'll have to try my version of it this winter. Good luck with the blog.
LedBoots and mybell like this.
#5 Old 09-20-2014, 11:43 AM

Thank you, Vanilla! So glad you like my "blog". I post a new recipe on their about once a week and will be sure to post some of them on here. I struggled making food when I was a vegetarian in the beginning having always cooked meat dishes. I love to cook though, thankfully, so it was just a matter or learning the recipes and now I create my own. It's actually much more fun to make a vegetarian meal than a meat/potatoes meal.
LedBoots likes this.
#6 Old 09-21-2014, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

That looks amazing!

I'm a low-no sodium eater myself. Your list of how much sodium was in the restaurant version was shocking.
#7 Old 09-21-2014, 12:59 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybell View Post
Thank you, Vanilla! So glad you like my "blog". I post a new recipe on their about once a week and will be sure to post some of them on here. I struggled making food when I was a vegetarian in the beginning having always cooked meat dishes. I love to cook though, thankfully, so it was just a matter or learning the recipes and now I create my own. It's actually much more fun to make a vegetarian meal than a meat/potatoes meal.
I bookmarked! High blood pressure runs in my family, so I do watch my sodium. I love soups and have to make my own because of the whole salt thing. Thanks for the recipe.

Tags
beans , kale , low sodium , minestrone , soup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page